View Poll Results: If you are reading this thread are you an IOM owner
Yes 26 49.06%
No 27 50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 17, 2011, 09:31 PM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,105 Posts
Sorry had another look at the video and I assuming the Red boat was calling no room but the red boat did not have an over lap on the yellow so red must keep clear.
Still standing by me earlier comment on the Purple
This was for the first incedent.

Second one
Light blue looks like he had rights at the mark over the white as overlap was estabished out side the zone.
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2011, 09:44 PM
Arkansas USA
Joined Jan 2006
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romano Ramirez View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bqlqLkgmwIHello again !!
Please give you opinion on the incident at the mark. There is abit of language and I wasn't going to post it but I believe the incident is worth getting feedback from experienced racers. Please add your comments good or bad. Thank you..
Red boat got way TO MUCH outside assistance to get underway after the start was announced in those light air conditions. Passed two boats and no penalty turn.

But Im not the Race Committee and everyone seems to be having too much fun to take it that seriously
JDCrow is offline Find More Posts by JDCrow
Old Feb 18, 2011, 09:02 AM
I love being the underdog!!!
Bermuda
Joined Jan 2011
128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8387mike View Post
Sorry had another look at the video and I assuming the Red boat was calling no room but the red boat did not have an over lap on the yellow so red must keep clear.
Still standing by me earlier comment on the Purple
This was for the first incedent.

Second one
Light blue looks like he had rights at the mark over the white as overlap was estabished out side the zone.
Thank you for your comments. It was purple boat calling NO ROOM. It is so important for our club to get out of club comments because they are non bias. Also film allows for replay so as to get all parties point of view. Even the announcer gets his wording incorrect at the time.
Its all in a GREAT day of sailing. Survey indicates that everybody enjoys themselves even with the incidences. No hard feelings.
Thanks to "CROW" for his comment on the push start...
We still request comments from other sailors..
Romano Ramirez is offline Find More Posts by Romano Ramirez
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 22, 2011, 01:29 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
IOM National Regatta picts

I don't own an IOM .. am still in the I-wish phase..

but I was at the SD Boat pond to watch this weekend on Sunday the 20th and took a buncha so-so picts and posted them on Picasa .. take a look at the link here for some of them and click the Picasa link.. you may find your favorite IOM pilot there.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1377180 see Post No. 92
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Old Feb 22, 2011, 05:43 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
855 Posts
I found a very interesting read tonight so thought I might share it. http://www.onemetre.net/OtherTopics/...rseArticle.pdf
ToniGe23 is online now Find More Posts by ToniGe23
Old Feb 23, 2011, 06:02 AM
USA-Michigan
Joined Feb 2008
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123 View Post
I don't own an IOM .. am still in the I-wish phase..

but I was at the SD Boat pond to watch this weekend on Sunday the 20th and took a buncha so-so picts and posted them on Picasa .. take a look at the link here for some of them and click the Picasa link.. you may find your favorite IOM pilot there.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1377180 see Post No. 92
Jim,

If you live in that area you really need and IOM, it is a great group of guys and lots of IOM racing there and not too far from there. You don't need to spend $4000.00 to get a good boat that will be pretty darn competitive. In my opinion $1500.00 will get you a boat that can win races. If properly sailed and tuned. Tuning these things takes a while to understand but that can be learned on any price boat.

Ted
(In frozen Michigan)
Ted Flack is offline Find More Posts by Ted Flack
Old Feb 23, 2011, 08:35 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Flack View Post
Jim,.. If properly sailed and tuned. Tuning these things takes a while to understand but that can be learned on any price boat.
Ted
(In frozen Michigan)
Ted,
I'm certain you're right.. I'd love to get one.. and will start looking soon as i figure out how to slip it into the garage between the ODOM and 15 sailplanes un-noticed by the wife.. I'll definitely do it.

We've got a great group of ODOM guys here in San Diego.. and I feel bad for my friend Lon who has an IOM, ..it's lonesome being out front and beating us almost every time.. Actually, I think there are a half dozen locals here that sail IOM's frequently, tho I don't see them as often during the week while I'm there over my lunch hour..

Saving up for an IOM some day..
JimS
Old Feb 23, 2011, 11:19 PM
Guz
Gutless wonder
Tempe, AZ
Joined Dec 2005
3,137 Posts
Practice you knowledge of the rules:
http://game.finckh.net/indexe.htm

Found this by accident, but bookmarked it
Guz is offline Find More Posts by Guz
Old Feb 24, 2011, 12:00 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,105 Posts
Guz,

That game is where I learnt a lot of the rules very handy, some of the rules have been updated.

Jim,

Ted is correct a $1500 boat can still win against a $4000 boat, it comes down to set up, tuning and the skipper.
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old Feb 24, 2011, 11:36 AM
USA - Michigan
Joined Dec 2010
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8387mike View Post
Guz,

That game is where I learnt a lot of the rules very handy, some of the rules have been updated.

Jim,

Ted is correct a $1500 boat can still win against a $4000 boat, it comes down to set up, tuning and the skipper.
I'm hoping that this is a correct statement.
RickieM12 is offline Find More Posts by RickieM12
Old Feb 24, 2011, 04:18 PM
dm1
tauranga new zealand
Joined Feb 2011
16 Posts
we here have many boats in value from $500-$5000 and also lots of homebuilds which you really cant put dollar value on. a boat is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it. our new sailors(me being one as i have only been doing ioms for 8 months) mostly start off with quite old cheaper boats and then once hooked to the sport purchase or build better boats. but if some one is a good iom sailor they still can put a cheaper boat close to the front of the fleet.generally cheaper boats down here are overweight and have different quality gear sails etc

PS NEW ZEALAND NATIONALS ARE ONLY A FEW WEEKS AWAY.
dm1 is offline Find More Posts by dm1
Old Feb 25, 2011, 08:43 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
dm1... welcome to posting on RC Groups..

Guz, Rick, Mike..

Thanks..I hear you.. and am looking but know as I save up, I have a bit further to go with my ODOM addiction before taking the plunge.. and most of what I'll learn will transfer over.. I don' mind a few IOM's messing up the clean air out front..or doing the same to them on the downwind runs..
JimS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm1 View Post
...generally cheaper boats down here are overweight and have different quality gear sails etc

PS NEW ZEALAND NATIONALS ARE ONLY A FEW WEEKS AWAY.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 09:54 AM
I love being the underdog!!!
Bermuda
Joined Jan 2011
128 Posts
Bermuda Fleet 24 Feb 2011

Bermuda Fleet 24 Feb 2011 (6 min 42 sec)
Don't worry about the cameramans creativity. You'll enjoy it. All the comments on the video are in jest. We're just having a BALL !!! I'm #48 Sky Blue boat.
Romano Ramirez is offline Find More Posts by Romano Ramirez
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2011, 11:48 AM
USA - Michigan
Joined Dec 2010
17 Posts
Romano, I really enjoy your videos.
If you could see outside from where I'm sitting, you would understand that your videos are giving us snowbound some releif. Thanks.....
RickieM12 is offline Find More Posts by RickieM12
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:49 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romano Ramirez View Post
..All the comments on the video are in jest. We're just having a BALL !!! I'm #48 Sky Blue boat.
Romano,
great venue and video.. glad the chatter was in jest .. but those "Shut-Ups" were a bit intimidating .. LoL..

You obviously have a lot of active IOM enthusiasts, a BIG course, (I'd be hard pressed to see clear way out at those windward marks, and lots of wind..at times too..I'll admit the earlier post in near zero was too painfully slow for me to watch thru it, but this one in what 10 to 12mph? had a lotta zing.. Thanks! JimS-IOM skipper wanna-be