Yes 26 49.06%
No 27 50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 16, 2011, 08:48 AM
USA-Michigan
Joined Feb 2008
108 Posts
Ernie,

Hansen dam is a lot bigger than I thought. We are still covered in snow and ice up here in Michigan, I can't wait to get sailing again, this cold stuff really sucks.

I see Stephan is doing quite well. Is his hand fixed yet?

Ted
Ted Flack is offline Find More Posts by Ted Flack
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2011, 09:24 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,109 Posts
Hi Ted,

Just to rub it in and complain on my behalf, it was 38 deg C today and at 10:30pm 24 deg C out side the poor old air conditioner is going flat out.

Regards
Mike
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old Feb 16, 2011, 07:54 PM
Australia (Sydney)
Joined Apr 2010
36 Posts
Does anyone have any first hand experience with the Planet T5 2.4 Radio/Rvr # PT5.?
At the price,they appear a bargain!! I`d like to know of any Plus`s or Pitfalls.
Thanx in advance
iomthinkin is offline Find More Posts by iomthinkin
Old Feb 16, 2011, 09:23 PM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,109 Posts
John,

Good radio we have 2 planet T5's in our club with no problems, just a little stuffing around getting the settings right.

If you want cheap and good try these, I have been sailing with one for over 18 months without a problem.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=16255
This Radio is in Australia, but the winch control would be on the right so you would need to change it and there are plenty of how to's in the radio section of RC groups on how to do this, the other thing is it can only be programmed by computer, the program that it comes with is hopeless but there is another program that I used that is very easy to use.
Or buy the Mode 2 verson from HK and pay the extra postage.
Last edited by 8387mike; Feb 17, 2011 at 10:14 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 10:18 PM
Australia (Sydney)
Joined Apr 2010
36 Posts
Mike,

Yep, I`m gettin` sick of stuffing around with my DX6i, it ensures that I`m loosing more hair ( ain`t much left) each day I use it....always a hitch somewhere throughout the day. The radio you have sure is worth considering at that price,,,,almost makes them a throw away item!!!
Old Feb 16, 2011, 11:41 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Flack View Post
Ernie,

Hansen dam is a lot bigger than I thought. We are still covered in snow and ice up here in Michigan, I can't wait to get sailing again, this cold stuff really sucks.

I see Stephan is doing quite well. Is his hand fixed yet?

Ted
Not Ernie here....... but Manny.
Stephan and his Pikanto are a fast combo. His hand is better. Hansen Dam is a good size pond. And we were in the mid 70s this day.
gpzy is online now Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Feb 17, 2011, 04:53 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iomthinkin View Post
Mike,

Yep, I`m gettin` sick of stuffing around with my DX6i, it ensures that I`m loosing more hair ( ain`t much left) each day I use it....always a hitch somewhere throughout the day. The radio you have sure is worth considering at that price,,,,almost makes them a throw away item!!!

you must be doing something wrong if your constanly messing around with your tranmitter can I guess you keep losing it's bind?
ToniGe23 is online now Find More Posts by ToniGe23
Old Feb 17, 2011, 08:02 AM
USA-Michigan
Joined Feb 2008
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzy View Post
Not Ernie here....... but Manny.
Stephan and his Pikanto are a fast combo. His hand is better. Hansen Dam is a good size pond. And we were in the mid 70s this day.
Sorry, Manny.
Ted Flack is offline Find More Posts by Ted Flack
Old Feb 17, 2011, 11:02 AM
UK
Joined Sep 2002
988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iomthinkin View Post
Does anyone have any first hand experience with the Planet T5 2.4 Radio/Rvr # PT5.?
At the price,they appear a bargain!! I`d like to know of any Plus`s or Pitfalls.
Thanx in advance
I wouldn't advise this set as it has a very limited range.

see the disclaimer at the bottom of the following website regarding the range
:-
http://www.elitemodelsonline.co.uk/P...RX-SET-MODE-II

Important note - equipment range
Be aware that Planet T5 is not a ‘full range’ system and should only be used at ranges of up to around 100 metres. Always perform a range check before use! Planet 5 has been tested with many types of models and operated at ranges significantly greater than that recommended. However, 2.4GHz equipment can be affected by terrain, weather and obstacles to a greater degree than conventional 35mHz R/C equipment. Therefore, do not be tempted to exceed the specifications described in detail in the instruction manual!

You will note this is 100 metres in "perfect conditions", we found some sets would drop out at 50 to 60 yards resulting in loss of control well before the far marker was reached.

If you want a reasonably priced radio then I would use the following set, we have had no problems at all with it. Range is quoted at 800 metres
Make sure you get the "Aircraft" set and not the "Helicopter" set.

http://radiolink.com.cn/upload/2010/...1268791036.pdf

Brian
Brian Wa is offline Find More Posts by Brian Wa
Last edited by Brian Wa; Feb 17, 2011 at 11:37 AM.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 03:32 PM
Australia (Sydney)
Joined Apr 2010
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniGe23 View Post
you must be doing something wrong if your constanly messing around with your tranmitter can I guess you keep losing it's bind?
Bind occasionally is lost...other things are that rudder periodically won`t self centre ( I may have fixed that with a new server) sometimes it takes a short holiday, & the best of all a couple of days back everything was reversed??? made the boat hard to steer!!!
Old Feb 17, 2011, 04:58 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
868 Posts
well I tell you exactly what your problem is and it's a very common problem on the DX6i only, when your turning on your transmitter your pressing on the trainer/bind switch. Do you use a mitt over the transmitter this is the most common cause as the mitt sometimes presses on the bind/trainer switch while switching on.

The cure for this problem it to cut the bind switch shorter or turn the switch so the switch moves left to right not forward or back.

As for the ruddder servo put in the best you can afford the boat will never sail true all the time if you use cheap servos they only have to be off centre 1mm and there'll steer off course. I use a high quility digital servo for two reasons the holding power of digital is much higher also most expensive servos are for heli's or buggys so have rubber seals between the casings thus water resistant for our needs.
Last edited by ToniGe23; Feb 17, 2011 at 05:05 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 05:07 PM
Australia (Sydney)
Joined Apr 2010
36 Posts
No I`m not using a mit, but thanks for the tips. I will shorten the trainer switch & be a little more careful around that area...... perhaps I`m bumping it & not aware!!!!
Old Feb 17, 2011, 05:10 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
868 Posts
Brian,
You quoted 800 metres for that transmitter I should think they mean the model being in the air not on the ground (lake or sea) so the range would be much shorter.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 09:14 PM
I love being the underdog!!!
Bermuda
Joined Jan 2011
132 Posts
Incident at the mark

IOM Bermuda Fleet 17 Feb 2011 (11 min 46 sec)
Hello again !!
Please give you opinion on the incident at the mark. There is abit of language and I wasn't going to post it but I believe the incident is worth getting feedback from experienced racers. Please add your comments good or bad. Thank you..
Romano Ramirez is offline Find More Posts by Romano Ramirez
Old Feb 17, 2011, 10:14 PM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,109 Posts
Brian,
See edited post 1399 regarding T5's already used in IOM's.

Romano

Yellow boat had no rights, as it did not have an overlap before the zone, ie 4 boat lengths out

Also Purple boat did not have rights over light blue boat as overlap was established in side the zone.

as far as I can see 2 boats were in the wrong, yellow and purple.
Last edited by 8387mike; Feb 17, 2011 at 10:24 PM.