View Poll Results: If you are reading this thread are you an IOM owner
Yes 26 49.06%
No 27 50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 04, 2011, 11:25 AM
USA-Michigan
Joined Feb 2008
108 Posts
The rules Gregg gave you are standard the world over for R/C boats. Of course a club can set their own rules as they see fit. Don't know why you would want to use the Match Racing Appendix.

In my club we sail strictly by the IOM International rules and the ISAF rules. IOM's must be measured to be scored.
Ted Flack is offline Find More Posts by Ted Flack
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2011, 11:58 AM
I love being the underdog!!!
Bermuda
Joined Jan 2011
128 Posts
Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Flack View Post
The rules Gregg gave you are standard the world over for R/C boats. Of course a club can set their own rules as they see fit. Don't know why you would want to use the Match Racing Appendix.

In my club we sail strictly by the IOM International rules and the ISAF rules. IOM's must be measured to be scored.
Thank you Ted!!

So is there a set of rules just for model boats? That differ from regular size boats?
Romano Ramirez is offline Find More Posts by Romano Ramirez
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2011, 12:13 PM
USA-Michigan
Joined Feb 2008
108 Posts
No, the rules are set by ISAF, the current one's are 2009-2012. There is an Appendix for R/C sailing, it is Appendix E.

These are the rules that are used by all sailing all over the world (except for exemptions in Sailing Instructions). This makes it easy to sail anywhere and know what the rules are, very nice for classes such as International One Meter (IOM). Again, if your club wishes to make changes that is fine, as long as everyone knows the changes.
Ted Flack is offline Find More Posts by Ted Flack
Old Feb 04, 2011, 12:20 PM
Bermuda
Joined Jan 2011
128 Posts
Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg28 View Post
Here is a link to the main racing rules.

http://www.sailing.org/racingrules.php

There is an appendix for models as Ted referred to.

http://www.sailing.org/1990.php
Thanks Greg!
Thats what I thought. But it comes up from time to time about model boat rules. So I just want to clear things up as far as what established fleets do. I acually have a rule book in my hand but is 2001-2004.

I see that your quite the airplane enthusiest. I had a trainer plane and I built a Sig Riser too which took hours.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2011, 12:44 PM
Don't lie to my dog.
United States, DE, Wilmington
Joined Jun 2005
3,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romano Ramirez View Post
Thanks Greg!
Thats what I thought. But it comes up from time to time about model boat rules. So I just want to clear things up as far as what established fleets do. I acually have a rule book in my hand but is 2001-2004.

I see that your quite the airplane enthusiest. I had a trainer plane and I built a Sig Riser too which took hours.
I had been crewing on big boats since I was 14. Got away from it during college. Got into racing Marbleheads in the late 80's and early 90's but fell out of that. Started flying in about 2005. My brother and I just bought a J105 to race last spring and my interest in sailing reignited in a big way. Not flying much anymore. I am building a Soling 1M, the only model class that races locally. I am also putting together an IOM, but I am taking my time on that since I have no one to race with. I am waiting on a trio of Blackstar SSs to do some racing off the stern of the big boat. And I still have my Marblehead.

I should finish my IOM and come race with you guys!
Gregg28 is offline Find More Posts by Gregg28
Old Feb 04, 2011, 04:10 PM
Bermuda
Joined Jan 2011
128 Posts
Come to Bermuda and bring your boat or race mine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg28 View Post
I had been crewing on big boats since I was 14. Got away from it during college. Got into racing Marbleheads in the late 80's and early 90's but fell out of that. Started flying in about 2005. My brother and I just bought a J105 to race last spring and my interest in sailing reignited in a big way. Not flying much anymore. I am building a Soling 1M, the only model class that races locally. I am also putting together an IOM, but I am taking my time on that since I have no one to race with. I am waiting on a trio of Blackstar SSs to do some racing off the stern of the big boat. And I still have my Marblehead.

I should finish my IOM and come race with you guys!
Thats no problem your boat, my boat and one of the other members boats is all open to anyone. Just let us know or just show up. Thursdays an Saturdays are our norm. But we go some day inbetween too. This week we went monday wedensday thursday and saturday....
I bumped into a news reporter today and he called me over to say he liked how we race and fellowship together so he wants to do an article on our fleet.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2011, 10:54 AM
Bermuda
Joined Jan 2011
128 Posts
Just another windward mard incident

One sailor Vexed.... One sailor happy....
IOM Race Bermuda Fleet 10 Feb. 2011 (6 min 13 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2011, 11:09 AM
Bermuda
Joined Jan 2011
128 Posts
Race #2 Another Windward Incident

Port boats infringe on Starboard boat and knocks him out of commission for the day...
IOM Race 10 Feb. 2011 Bermuda #2 (6 min 6 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2011, 12:03 PM
UK
Joined Sep 2002
988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romano Ramirez View Post
Port boats infringe on Starboard boat and knocks him out of commission for the day...:]
For information - We identify boats by their sail numbers not by the colour of their hulls.

Brian
Brian Wa is offline Find More Posts by Brian Wa
Old Feb 12, 2011, 10:29 AM
Bermuda
Joined Jan 2011
128 Posts
Reporting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Wa View Post
For information - We identify boats by their sail numbers not by the colour of their hulls.

Brian
Thanks Brian.... I will work on that in the future.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2011, 10:33 AM
USA - Michigan
Joined Dec 2010
17 Posts
Great videos. Keep them coming. We can't sail here in Michigan yet, so watching your races is the best possible replacement.
May I make a few suggestions. If you have a mono pod, or tri-pod, it would help a little to remove the video jitter. Also, if you can find a piece of open cell foam to tape over the mic, your voice will be heard better.
Your color commentary is fun. Keep up the good work.
Thanks for sharing.
RickieM12 is offline Find More Posts by RickieM12
Old Feb 12, 2011, 12:23 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
861 Posts
US IOM NATIONALS Hilight Video (5 min 25 sec)
ToniGe23 is offline Find More Posts by ToniGe23
Old Feb 12, 2011, 02:02 PM
USA - Michigan
Joined Dec 2010
17 Posts
Congrats Roberto Mesnik for being the "Best New Skipper" at the Texas nationals.
RickieM12 is offline Find More Posts by RickieM12
Old Feb 12, 2011, 02:14 PM
Bermuda
Joined Jan 2011
128 Posts
We Have The Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickieM12 View Post
Great videos. Keep them coming. We can't sail here in Michigan yet, so watching your races is the best possible replacement.
May I make a few suggestions. If you have a mono pod, or tri-pod, it would help a little to remove the video jitter. Also, if you can find a piece of open cell foam to tape over the mic, your voice will be heard better.
Your color commentary is fun. Keep up the good work.
Thanks for sharing.
Thank you for your suggestions. Yea the wind had me whipped. I am learning various technics as I go. I am a sailor though so most times I just grab the camera and shoot when I have a dull moment. Its a regular camera not a camcorder so I cant zoom in and out. I apprieciate you saying to show more because I feel like I am taking over the thread with my many comments and I dont want to seem like our new club has it all together. We are very hyped and sail anytime we can. We are trying to learn. And Being on an island we look forwrd to comments from anyone good or bad. Thanks again for the encouragement..It means alot!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2011, 12:11 AM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,298 Posts
Some IOM racing Southern California Style !!

IOM's (5 min 6 sec)
gpzy is online now Find More Posts by gpzy