View Poll Results: If you are reading this thread are you an IOM owner
Yes 26 49.06%
No 27 50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 30, 2010, 05:37 AM
WA
Joined May 2010
22 Posts
Way to go Mike! great result Saturday, well done! Nothing like a podium after all the tuning etc.
Ananbuch is offline Find More Posts by Ananbuch
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2010, 07:40 PM
k4s
Joined Aug 2009
391 Posts
Latest entry level for the 1st ever Tauranga Radio Yacht Club Champs to be held on 18 and 19 September is 31.
So it looks like we will be running HMS.
Already the entry level is higher than the Auckland champs and fast approaching Nationals level.19 of these entries are from out of town.20 if I include myself,I live in Taupo so are considered a temporary Tauranga -ite.
Not to late to get your entry in and come join the fun.
k4s is offline Find More Posts by k4s
Old Sep 04, 2010, 09:22 AM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,242 Posts
Hope all our friends in N.Z. are safe and sound. Nothing like a big earthquake to shake things up!
gpzy is offline Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Sep 05, 2010, 02:21 AM
k4s
Joined Aug 2009
391 Posts
Thanks gpyz,not from down christchurch way,but in a small country like ours,everybody knows somebody there or has lived there at some stage.They have taken a pounding.
Further north we sailed our boats in Tauranga in strong B rig conditions.Report here,http://www.kiwitalk.radioyachting.co...p?topic=498.75 and on the club site for some pics and video herehttp://www.ohope.co.nz/iom/
Old Sep 06, 2010, 07:14 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,094 Posts
Thought I would post these results from the weekend, I didn't race but my old boat did, old 69 did well and Peter had his new V7 on the water again, well done mate looking good, can't wait to race you this weekend, hope you have the B rig ready looks like she might be a blower.
http://www.hwrs.westcoastryc.com/ind...word=4/09/2010

Saturdays weather predictions
http://www.seabreeze.com.au/graphs/wa.asp
B maybe C rig, can't wait to see how the boat performs in a bit of wind
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old Sep 07, 2010, 07:09 AM
WA
Joined May 2010
22 Posts
Hi Mike, yes we had a good day last Saturday, was a delightful afternoon. Light 8-10 knot WSW, was consistent as and a joy to sail in. Your old boat sailed beautifully, John has 69 going a treat.

I had a trouble free afternoon, everything work as it should and I could actually concentrate on getting the 'thing' to go quicker. I am on a tuning journey, as no doubt you have found with your Shadow.

I am sure there will good and bad days as we go along, but what a sport to be involved in, just such great fun.

Bring on the weekend, yes looks like we may get a breeze, so the B and C are packed and ready.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 02:24 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
821 Posts
It's a big weekend for the UK IOM sailing calender this weekend at Eastbourne which is on the South coast of the UK it's a ranking event for the World Championships in 2011 also hosted here in the UK. We have an entry of 60 skippers with all the big names like Brad Gibson (BGSails), Graham Bantock(Sailsetc), Robby Walsh, Graham Elliott (Elliot Yachts) and Ken and Trevor Binks (Kbits) etc.
http://www.edmyc.org.uk/

There's going to be some excellent sailing to see and I'll get some pictures and a short report later.

The lake is a purpose built model sailing lake so a good breeze is the norm for this event.
ToniGe23 is offline Find More Posts by ToniGe23
Old Sep 19, 2010, 04:33 AM
k4s
Joined Aug 2009
391 Posts
With the threats of weather bombs,torrential rain,hurricane force winds and general mayhem the inaugural Tauranga Radio Sailing Champs were held this weekend.
With the above threats it was very pleasing to see all the out of town entrants turn up for a fun and somewhat trying weekend of horizontal rain and B or C rig wind.
29 skippers sailing and taking the piss out of each other for 2 days.
A huge success.
Over all winner was Ian Vickers of V boat fame.
Go here for results and a few pics....http://www.ohope.co.nz/iom/
Old Sep 19, 2010, 08:50 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,094 Posts
Richard,

Well done on the 4th, I couldn't believe the amount of V's in the fleet.
Looks like a real success and a great day to be held by all.

The first V (sorry second, the butterfly is a V6 clone) in our fleet, the first V7 had a great day yesterday and not a bad day last week just knocked me down one place.
http://www.hwrs.westcoastryc.com/ind...ord=18/09/2010
http://dev1.westcoastryc.com/index.p...ord=11/09/2010
Well done Peter.
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old Sep 21, 2010, 08:09 AM
WA
Joined May 2010
22 Posts
Thanks Mike, yes had a good afternoon on Saturday, the tuning process continues but we are getting there.
Wont be down of Saturday, at AFL party for the Grand Final, then away on leave for a week. Will be back for gala day at Champion Lakes Sunday 3rd October.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 09:30 PM
k4s
Joined Aug 2009
391 Posts
After the weekend sailing,in top of the B rig,sometimes well into the C rig conditions something was not quite right with my boat setup.
The boat was moving nicely and fast,but every now and then,when a gust came thru,the boat really wanted to go but just didnt.Both upwind and down,the bow dove just enough for the boat to want to screw into the wind and lots of correction on the rudder just slowed the boat more.
The twist was good in both main and jib,depowering when they had to,with the head of the main luffing first,then the jib.
Finally I started to adjust the mast ram.
I have pretty much seen this as just a way of holding the base of the mast in place.Completely ignoring the part it plays in sail shape.....Duh.
By pushing back on the mast down low the whole bottom section of the main changed shape.
In the settings I was using,the foot of the main was fullest around half way along the boom.Using more force on the ram and pushing the mast back,this full point moved forward to around 30 or 40 % back.All the other settings were left as they were .
Back on the water and only the biggest gusts needed more than a slight rudder adjustment to stay on course.
So if I am right,moving the power further forward in the foot of the main resulted in less sideways force close to the stern,but no loss in power.
Instead of depowering the sails more to cope with the wind,the position of that power changed.
The mast ram now seems like a real tuning tool......slow learner I guess.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 09:46 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,057 Posts
To liken your sail adjustment to that of a full size "big" boat, you are (basically) flattening the sail for less "power" and more speed - preferable in heavy or really light winds. A fuller main is used for medium winds - or if you have to "punch" through waves.

Same could be accomplished ( if radio channels not limited - or you were on board ) by adding more down-haul, and/or adding more out-haul. Both used together effectively moves the maximum camber forward (like you did) using the mast ram, and flattening the sail. Also possible depending on the sail maker that a bit too much camber was pre-built into the sail when panels were glued up on the sail block.

Sounds like a valuable learning experience!
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 11:32 PM
k4s
Joined Aug 2009
391 Posts
Valuable indeed.
I was struggling to get the feel I wanted using just the back/side stays and vang,.
The reason I went to the ram was that all my other settings were just where I wanted them and they seemed to be working well.
Outhaul and cuningham when used to cure the problem had the side effect of the boat losing power.How do you tell from your remote?,I know,....but somehow you do.
To me it didnt really look like flattening the sail when the ram was applied.
More a movement forward of the maximum draft.It looked as if it(mainsail) got deeper,closer to the mast.
Only talking about the bottom 30% of the sail,the rest of the sail didnt seem to change at all.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 09:25 AM
USA-Michigan
Joined Feb 2008
108 Posts
k4s,

This is a little confusing. When the ram is applied it certainly adds camber to the lower part of the sail and moves it forward. But, it also tightens the leech...a lot.

I am surprised that making the leech tighter did not cause a great amount of weather helm, exactly the problem you were trying to get rid of.
Ted Flack is offline Find More Posts by Ted Flack
Old Sep 25, 2010, 03:52 PM
k4s
Joined Aug 2009
391 Posts
Yeah Ted,
That was exactly my thought.My rational is that it moved the power/draft forward just enough along the boom,closer to the centre of effort to reduce the "screwing to weather" tendency.The leech was certainly a bit tighter than previous with all the settings remaining un changed,but it had been very open ,trying to deal with the gusts.Maybe I hit the magic compromise with sheer luck.
The mast ram will certainly get more of my attention while rigging than it did previously.