View Poll Results: If you are reading this thread are you an IOM owner
Yes 26 49.06%
No 27 50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 23, 2010, 07:11 PM
USA, LA, Mandeville
Joined Feb 2005
886 Posts
nice job on the mods! It looks to sit a little low in the water with not much extra flotation in the bow, so don't try to sail in a blow unless everything is sealed well.

I'm a little surprised that it did not suffer from a bit of weather helm when it heeled slightly. It looks like the mast/keel locations are pretty close together. Usually the IOM masts are around 15mm, give or take, in front of the leading edge of the keel. It looks like this one has the mast back over the keel itself. If you start to get weather helm when your main is trimmed in, try moving the mast forward (easier), or the keel back. Keep us posted!
hew565 is offline Find More Posts by hew565
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2010, 07:36 PM
Santiago, Chile
Joined Oct 2007
77 Posts
hew, the boat is not mine. If I do the same probably I will install the fin as you say. Now a friend who is a good modeler want to made the mold to build 3 or 4 hulls to do test with different keel positions, etc. We are agree that is the boat works is a very cheap alternative to have a IOM boat.
DiasDePlaya is offline Find More Posts by DiasDePlaya
Old Aug 23, 2010, 09:25 PM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,109 Posts
Dias,
It looks like it might be easier to move the keel back as the jib boom counter weight looks like it is already or very close to being past the bow.
you might have put a few members in their place (like me) for saying it can't be done, well done to your friend and I hope your works out, keep us up dated with lots of photos, it is going to be a very interesting build, look forward to it.

Regards
Mike
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old Aug 23, 2010, 11:11 PM
Santiago, Chile
Joined Oct 2007
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scully View Post
Dias,
If you are going to modify the ETNZ then please remember to reinforce the finbox to be able to take the 2.5kg load from the fin and bulb. This is more then double that of the orignal. Also take note that it is longer which gives you more sideway force when keeling. Rig tensions for the IOM will rip off the plastic deck fittings so please also change them and secure them to the deck with reinforcement below deck.
The deck fittings was replaced as you said, but the finbox not and the original worked very well. We tested it harder than sailing conditions and it resisted the abuse perfectly.
Last edited by DiasDePlaya; Aug 24, 2010 at 11:22 AM.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 11:19 PM
Santiago, Chile
Joined Oct 2007
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiasDePlaya View Post
I visited the toy store that sell the ETNZ here in Chile. The boat need a lot of work to be a real IOM: Need a real finbox, a real mast base, electronic box, the paint must be redone, etc... All the fittings that come in the box are just garbage. Maybe the stand would be usable but with longer legs.
I was wrong: The boat sailed with the original servos and original finbox and original mast base without problems and the stand worked perfectly without modifications as you can see in the pics.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 11:24 AM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2004
108 Posts
Well Done!
Yacht looks good. Keep us posted. It may just put some IOM's in its place.....!
Cheers!
scully is offline Find More Posts by scully
Old Aug 27, 2010, 09:37 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,109 Posts
Well I have spent the last week and a half trying to figure out what is wrong with me new A rig, the boom swings out to Starboard fine but wasn't going out to port very well, I had a look and my self releasing cunningham wasn't working to good, the knot that attaches the line to the main was catching on the boom hook.
Hope you all understood that? but the main thing is I think it is fixed

The other thing that required looking at was the bowsie on the jib topping lift, replaced that, all good I hope

Racing tomorrow and I can't wait, its a handicap day and the winds will be about 7 knots, was going to be 14 all week then the prediction changed today.

Peter I hope will down with his new V7, I am sort of excited only for him for me it means another great design and skipper to try beat

Will post the results when the are posted on the club site.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 09:19 AM
WA
Joined May 2010
22 Posts
Hi Mike, great to get the V7 wet today, once I get the bugs ironed out, she will be fun to sail. Piece of poor soldering caused me to have the boat out of control in the last, Deans plug to the Winch disconnected, thought it was receiver and / or battery. However a review of systems at home tonight found the culprit so quickly fixed. You had your Shadow moving beautifully today Mike, man that thing can point..stunning! Great to see all the boats with a similar boatspeed, just gets tougher huh, great fun!:-)
Ananbuch is offline Find More Posts by Ananbuch
Old Aug 28, 2010, 08:19 PM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,109 Posts
Yes Peter, It was a great day no fighting, would have loved to stay for the last but had to get home to the wife and rugrats, Do you know the results? Kelvin hasn't put them up on the site yet.
The V7 of yours really moved when the breeze picked up I remember at one stage you were in front of Kelvin and I and a small puff came though and it just took off, it is very good looking boat.
Yes I would agree with all the boats had simalir boat speed, it came down to watching for the knocks, tacking and who could point the highest.
As for the Shadow I am very pleased with it know, especially with a win and a couple of 2nds and 3rd's.

Like I said earlier I will post the results here when the are up on the club website.

Is there any one else with some results lately? post them on here so we can see everyones efforts.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 02:36 AM
k4s
Joined Aug 2009
391 Posts
Summer must be on the way.Tauranga had a good turn out on Saturday.Only a couple of weeks until the 1ST ever club champs.Sems a few from out of town will make a showing that weekend.All are welcome.Here for details http://www.ohope.co.nz/iom/

Also here for some great shots of the weekend action,
http://www.robhaskettphotography.com...ling-club.html
k4s is offline Find More Posts by k4s
Old Aug 29, 2010, 05:10 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,109 Posts
Hey Richard,

Nice to hear from you, please do not talk about the Rugby. How is your newesh club going? are the numbers increasing after the NZ nationals?
Old Aug 29, 2010, 08:58 AM
WA
Joined May 2010
22 Posts
Hi Mike, think everyone was at the 'Classic' event today, so perhaps the results later tonight or tomorrow. Yes, I must admit it was a pleasant afternoon Saturday, made the soldering fix, so cant wait till next week now!
Ananbuch is offline Find More Posts by Ananbuch
Last edited by Ananbuch; Aug 29, 2010 at 09:18 AM.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 04:30 PM
k4s
Joined Aug 2009
391 Posts
Hey Mike and all,
I am soooooo sorry about the rugby teehee
The club is going great.There is even a wednesday meeting each week now with more and more people turning up for what is a tuning and learning to sail your boat day.Lots of boat swapping and rig advice being shared amongst those that make it.The results are a fleet that is getting much more even on Saturday race days.My feeling is that there will soon be as many doing wednesday as are doing saturdays with daylight saving just around the corner.
In the last month there have been 5 boats added to the fleet,4 new designs and another Tempest.Also a modified Denison(designed by one of the locals and modified by another).
So all is healthy over this way.
Our inaugral club champs is on the weekend of 18 and 19 September,all are welcome to come and play so book those airfares now and come join us for a couple of days sailing,laughing and stirring ....it should be a good event.
Club days are still no results recorded at the moment but this is slowly changing.We now have designated OD's and a course board at the jetty so keeping results may not be far off.My feel is that every second weekend should be recorded with the inbetween days just race as many races as you can.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 04:35 PM
k4s
Joined Aug 2009
391 Posts
I have been fooling with the camera again...
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheK4s?feature=mhum
Old Aug 29, 2010, 09:12 PM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,109 Posts
Well the results are now up and even leaving early and missing the race still got me a second
Very happy with the results and the Shadow is starting to fly, would have been nice to see how it would have gone against some of the other members who weren't there on Saturday, especially with the way the boat was turned.

Here are the results for anyone interested.
http://dev1.westcoastryc.com/index.p...ord=28/08/2010