Malaysia, Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur
Joined Jun 2007
358 Posts
Thanks man ... well keep us posted on the new website

Quote:
Originally Posted by k4s View Post
Lama,
Carl is still up and running.
He has had some family health problems lately with his mother passing away so is a bit behind.When the NZRYA moved to their new site his hosting stopped on the previous one.Talking to him a week or so back,he was starting to put together a new page.
Can't be to far away.
lamafever is offline Find More Posts by lamafever
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2010, 06:39 PM
Santiago, Chile
Joined Oct 2007
77 Posts
TT AC100 converted to IOM

Hello guys,

The Thunder Tiger ETNZ or AC100 is a cheap boat to buy here in Chile.
If the fin, ruder, bulb, mast and sails are changed to IOM legals, would this boat be competitive against an IOM boat?

DiasDePlaya is offline Find More Posts by DiasDePlaya
Old Jul 31, 2010, 07:03 PM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2004
107 Posts
Dear Dias,
No it will not. The hull length complies with class rules but the fin is shorter and the bulb much lighter and it will not carry the "A" rig. You can use the "'B" rig but it will not be as fast. Its draft too does not meet IOM specs.
The fin flexes to much too and the rudder is small. In strong winds you will have issues tacking.
Cheers
scully is offline Find More Posts by scully
Old Aug 01, 2010, 01:04 AM
k4s
Joined Aug 2009
391 Posts
If your going to change pretty much everything except the hull,why not just go the full measure and get an IOM.The bare hull is the cheapest part of the whole set up .
k4s is offline Find More Posts by k4s
Old Aug 01, 2010, 06:06 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,107 Posts
I agree with K4s, it would cost more to try to bring to IOM spec's and then I don't know if it would still meet them.
If the ETNZ is so cheap in Chile start a new class with them like the guys in Israel with the Monsoons I think
Or buy a second hand boat from somewhere around the world, there are some cheap boats in the UK, you my even get a builder to build a hull for the same price as the ENTZ and then spend the money you were going to spend on the Fin, Bulb, Sails and rudder to finish it off.
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old Aug 01, 2010, 09:13 AM
Santiago, Chile
Joined Oct 2007
77 Posts
Please think this way: You lost the hull of your beloved IOM by an accident, now the hull is totaled, but all the rest is in perfect conditions, and you are cheap now waiting for a better job. And you can buy a ETNZ to continue sailing right now with just small work to adapt the ETNZ to the IOM rule installing all the components that you have.
Then the question is: This design would be competitive?
Old Aug 01, 2010, 03:58 PM
k4s
Joined Aug 2009
391 Posts
If the above is the case I would ask around the IOM sailors to see if there is an old hull or mould lying around,unused in someones garage.If a mould is available you could make a hull for less than 200 dollars and a bit of time..
If you go ETNZ,try to find others sailing that boat and sail with them.One design sailing is fun,
Something I learnt in trailer boats was,it doesnt matter how fast or slow your boat is if everyone is sailing the same ,the racing will be close and exciting.
k4s is offline Find More Posts by k4s
Old Aug 01, 2010, 10:38 PM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2004
107 Posts
Dias,
To be direct, I dont think it wil be if water conditions are anything but flat with winds below 3 knots
scully is offline Find More Posts by scully
Old Aug 02, 2010, 10:17 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
857 Posts
had my first outing with my Cockatoo 2 today won 5 races out of 10 and came first not bad as I was only going for a trimming session. What I was pleased with was the down wind performance and a very polite boat to sail!
ToniGe23 is offline Find More Posts by ToniGe23
Old Aug 02, 2010, 02:26 PM
Santiago, Chile
Joined Oct 2007
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scully View Post
Dias,
To be direct, I dont think it wil be if water conditions are anything but flat with winds below 3 knots
I think similar, but here we race always in flat water (small ponds) and the wind is very soft all the year, only the summer give us medium winds, max 10 knots. We use only the A rig, just some days the B, and those days many continue with the A rig, overpowered but manageable.
Old Aug 02, 2010, 02:27 PM
Santiago, Chile
Joined Oct 2007
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k4s View Post
If the above is the case I would ask around the IOM sailors to see if there is an old hull or mould lying around,unused in someones garage.If a mould is available you could make a hull for less than 200 dollars and a bit of time..
If you go ETNZ,try to find others sailing that boat and sail with them.One design sailing is fun,
Something I learnt in trailer boats was,it doesnt matter how fast or slow your boat is if everyone is sailing the same ,the racing will be close and exciting.
This would be fantastic!
Old Aug 02, 2010, 04:12 PM
USA, LA, Mandeville
Joined Feb 2005
886 Posts
Without a mold, it is just as easy, just takes a bit longer. Here are two threads on building IOMs from balsa sticks to sailing. If you are handy, you can make almost every part of an IOM, or buy the parts you don't want to make.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ight=iom+build

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ight=iom+build
hew565 is offline Find More Posts by hew565
Last edited by hew565; Aug 04, 2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old Aug 04, 2010, 05:37 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,107 Posts
Toni,

How does the Cockatoo compare to the Arrival?
Old Aug 04, 2010, 10:05 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8387mike View Post
Toni,

How does the Cockatoo compare to the Arrival?
On the cockatoo's first sail last week I was only setting up the rigs so it was a friendly days racing but as always it got serious. My Cockatoo2 has exactly the same rigs as my Arrival which are Sailsetc rigs and BG Sails I'm getting used to setting Brads sails now so any performance differences should be in the hull designs which are totally different.
more to follow!
ToniGe23 is offline Find More Posts by ToniGe23
Old Aug 06, 2010, 09:36 PM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,107 Posts
Quote:
The Thunder Tiger ETNZ or AC100 is a cheap boat to buy here in Chile.
If the fin, ruder, bulb, mast and sails are changed to IOM legals, would this boat be competitive against an IOM boat?
DiasDePlaya
I have done a little looking at what you propose.
1) you will need to cut the bow off and add a soft bumper, as the hull is all ready 1000mm long this is going to be a big job.
2) the bulb on the HK Phantom weights only 1.3kg an IOM keel and bulb weights min 2.2kg, so one of two things will happen either the IOM keel and bulb will rip the hull apart or the water line will be very high or it will sink. Also the waterline might not comply with the max draft.

Hope this helps with which way you go.