Yes 26 49.06%
No 27 50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 15, 2010, 06:50 AM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2004
112 Posts
Dear Mike,
The tempest has been doing well. I on the other hand have screwed up by not taking my own advice. Dont take chances.....8 times out of 10 you will be wrong.....

Anyway this is a good oppurtuinity to share my experience with a different cut of sail.
I have been using the F2 cut which is flatter than most and reciently tried the F3 cut which is fuller. Somehow this set does not seem to work with my style of sailing. Perhaps its setup but when tuned the way I usually tune my sails, which is "flat", the Tempest does not point as high as it should and upwind is not as fast as it was. The upside of this was that the yacht became as tame as a lamb. Just point and go. No need for triming and it sails itself.

After 2 weeks I switched back to the F2 set and the Tempest became much more sensitive to shifts and I had to keep my finger on the rudder all the time to make corrections. Upside is the she was fast upwind again, accelerated quickly and points high. Both sails were tuned in the same exact way by means of measurement. I need to think why there was this stark difference between the two. I suspect that in the choppy stuff, the F3 would preform better however there were other sailors sailing with the F3 cut and they seem to be doing well. Will try the Power Sails which i have in the locker room soon. I have heard that they work well with the Tempest. If it is faster than Sailsetc, I will be most pleased and wont ask for more!...

Regards
scully is offline Find More Posts by scully
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2010, 07:48 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,109 Posts
Scully,
Got an email from Carl when I was looking at buying the Tempest and he recommend Power, after speaking with I guy here in Perth who has a Tempest and knows Carl personally he told me that the Tempest was designed around using Power sails, so give a try.

Good luck,

Mike
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:11 AM
Joined Feb 2010
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scully View Post
Dear Mike,
I suspect that in the choppy stuff, the F3 would preform better .....
been telling you that scully tune for the water conditions not the wind.... unless you are over canvased!!!!!
colin470 is offline Find More Posts by colin470
Old Apr 16, 2010, 07:16 PM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2004
112 Posts
Dear Mike,
Carl told me same and after talking to Jerry Power, I decided to buy a set. Very afforadable by commercial sail standards (no offence larry).

I have 2 rigs and am in the process of replacing the Sailsetc F3 with Power sails. Sail quality is good so it will be interestng to see how the tempest handles. I am very surprised how sensitive the Tempest is to different sails...or it could just be me.

Cheers
Old Apr 16, 2010, 08:49 PM
Joined Jun 2009
88 Posts
IOM Rigging

After reviewing all 904 posts, I noticed that there seemed to be very little discussion of standing rigging. Reliable mast shape being the major problem that it is with the single shroud rig, I'm wondering why the simple solution of allowing double shrouds and jenny stays would be accepted as a way to assist in making the boats easier to tune and sail. At present, the newcomer is forced to deal with all sorts of arcane theories and equipments like "prebend" and "mast ram". A simple double shroud rig with spreaders provides excellent, reproducible control over mast shape and should eliminate 95% of the mismatches one sees between mainsail luff curves and whatever shape the current IOM mast decides to take at the moment. What was the rationale behind the single shroud rig when the rule was written?
RodACarr is offline Find More Posts by RodACarr
Old Apr 17, 2010, 10:32 PM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2004
112 Posts
Dear Rod,

Rules behind rationals for the IOM are very often misguided and outdated in my opinion. For example mateials ....these were written in the stone age where materials were limited. For example, as mentioned earlier, hulls may be made of wood or glass fiber. Reason, to keep costs down. We now have a new material made from dyneema and its dyneema cloth. Stronger then glass fiber and from what I have heard, same cost if not cheaper. So, if the rationale stays, then this material should be used. However, the ancient rules do not specifically allow this material and hence there is a debate going on.

At the end of the day, the community needs to rally together and make changes otherwise talking and quibbeling about it will be pointless no matter how many valid facts one may have.

Regards

Scully
Old Apr 17, 2010, 10:44 PM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2004
112 Posts
Power Sails:-
I ran a few laps yeaterday with the power sails. It is built with more Camber than the Sailsets F2. Between the 3 I have used, the power sails seem to have the best of both worlds. Good acceleratiion. Upwind speed is a tad slower than the F2 but its hands free sailing. To be fair, I will need a few weeks to dial in the proper settings and I should get the Tempest upwind as fast if not faster. I would recommend these sails to anyone wanting to try a new set.
Cheers!
Scully
Old Apr 18, 2010, 12:49 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,109 Posts
Quote:
Dear Mike,
Carl told me same and after talking to Jerry Power, I decided to buy a set. Very afforadable by commercial sail standards (no offence larry).
I think our mate Larry is MIA

Quote:
I ran a few laps yeaterday with the power sails. It is built with more Camber than the Sailsets F2. Between the 3 I have used, the power sails seem to have the best of both worlds. Good acceleratiion. Upwind speed is a tad slower than the F2 but its hands free sailing. To be fair, I will need a few weeks to dial in the proper settings and I should get the Tempest upwind as fast if not faster. I would recommend these sails to anyone wanting to try a new set.
Cheers!
Scully
Told you Scully we have a third of our club racing with power, there is also Mirage, Sailsetc, Clive Brooks. I race with Sails made by one of the members and they are great for those heavier days being made out of code 0 material. Next A rig I build when I finish the new boat the sails will be made out of Mylar
Old Apr 18, 2010, 05:24 AM
Joined Feb 2010
32 Posts

Quote:
Cheers!
Scully
Hi Scully,
You always impress me with your choice of your buys, You never have complaints about your buys and they always are the best in your mind.... Good on you......
But what was you using as your benchmark with regards to speed? most of the boats out today we either backmarkers or an untuned Pikanto....
colin470 is offline Find More Posts by colin470
Old Apr 18, 2010, 07:59 AM
Slope,thermal and Scale flying
Deception Bay
Joined Jun 2008
637 Posts
Well i took the Emo out again for its remaiden with new mast and booms learning from the previous ones Alot better and have gotten some very good results with the Emo. I am yet to get a video but i will get one next time i go out for a sail which i should get out sometime this week hopefully after school Went sailing on Saturday and it was blowing a dull 5-10 knots. mainly really light but then you would get the ocasional 15-20knots gust come through I had the Emo sailing on a Arig with 18knots of breeze there for about 10min or so and she only nosed in once. I was very happy how she was performing and must of had a good setup in my sails. Here is some pics from that day http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l...hts/EMO%20IOM/

I have been having a water problem as we all must know. We say to ourselves "But everything is seeled up. How is it getting in". Well i am proud to say everything is seeled up now and no water is getting in

I have been chatting with Frank Russel the designer of the Emo and he is alowing me to do some mods to the Emo for the next build i do. I will be raising the bow even higher than the new plans from 88mm to 98mm and adding 10mm to the freeboard. A guy in New Zealand made an Emo from the old plans and put the 10mm extra to the freeboard and it looks really good so i will do it to the new Emo i build for my next build. i am currently cutting out the shadows now and will be called "Emo 2" lol funny that Oh and i will be moving the keel back by 10mm as i think it could go back another 10mm. What do you guys think?
chamm37 is offline Find More Posts by chamm37
Old Apr 18, 2010, 08:15 AM
Deception Bay
Joined Jun 2008
637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykin View Post
Mike,

My other options are to buy a programmable radio or a new sail winch. Did both last night. Was recommended this new winch. same torque as the Hitec and faster than an RMG. Price $US20.30

http://www.r2hobbies.com/proddetail....=rcps91116_10y

Also bought a TurBORIX 2.4 GHz 6 Ch digital programmable radio mode 2. Price $US40.40

http://www.r2hobbies.com/proddetail....cps61206_61411

Now I just need to build even more boats to fit all this gear into .

Larry.
Well i orded the TX and the servo tonight so i cant wait to get them here to inspect what i bought I will be using the drum winch in the new Emo i am building. Abit simpler to setup than the winch arm and space effective.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 09:46 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,109 Posts
Hello Chris,

I will be doing the same with the Maximuss build I have going, I like being the first in my club, first to use Hobby king radio without a problem and i am going to try one of those winch's, every one keeps raving about them so why not try on

Yes I know all the rest will keep saying RMG are the only way to go and yes I can afford one, but from the stat's it is half the speed of the RMG and twice as fast as a Hitec, so i should be twice as quick .

Larry must have rubbed off on me, he keep going on about the cost and how much cheaper and Blah, blah, blah

I am going to order another hobby king radio as it is cheaper than the Turborix and is the same radio anyway.

So when are you going to have a crack at racing Chris?

Mike
Old Apr 18, 2010, 10:07 AM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2004
112 Posts
Dear Colin,
Actually i have had bad buys but i dont want to put bad experiences on this forum as it may not be a fair rating of a well known product... But to humor you, the F3 sails suck in my opinion. Could not get it going and sold them to someone else after 2 weeks of frustrating sailing....

We sailed today with well tuned pikantos and the Power sails held out well, got more speed upwind but did not follow the numbers given by Carl. It may not be the best that money can buy but it in my opinion represents very good value for money. Will stick to the Power sails from now on.

Cheers!

Scully
Old Apr 18, 2010, 11:59 AM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,311 Posts
IOM pics on the water.
http://picasaweb.google.com/mrdimage...eat=directlink
gpzy is online now Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Apr 18, 2010, 04:57 PM
Deception Bay
Joined Jun 2008
637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8387mike View Post
Hello Chris,

I will be doing the same with the Maximuss build I have going, I like being the first in my club, first to use Hobby king radio without a problem and i am going to try one of those winch's, every one keeps raving about them so why not try on

Yes I know all the rest will keep saying RMG are the only way to go and yes I can afford one, but from the stat's it is half the speed of the RMG and twice as fast as a Hitec, so i should be twice as quick .

Larry must have rubbed off on me, he keep going on about the cost and how much cheaper and Blah, blah, blah

I am going to order another hobby king radio as it is cheaper than the Turborix and is the same radio anyway.

So when are you going to have a crack at racing Chris?

Mike
Yer well i am the same. I have the money for a RMG winch but why when i get a winch at nearly the same specs for at a much lower price

I have sailed comp once but the Emo was playing up and wasnt sailing right. I have the races this weekend so we will see how fast she really is. She looked really fast by herself but when i put her with the rest of the boats, we will really see how quick she is

Very nice pics ther mate
Last edited by chamm37; Apr 18, 2010 at 05:06 PM.