View Poll Results: If you are reading this thread are you an IOM owner
Yes 26 49.06%
No 27 50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 29, 2010, 05:36 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
866 Posts
I sailed yesterday in the 'A' Class PRACC series it was great fun sailed all day for an entry fee of £3 that's what I call value for money compare that with a round of golf!

Robert, on another note my new 'A' Class came with an adjustable clew works by a small servo on the boom running to a pully system at the end of the boom fixed to the clew have you seen these as I'm a little confused when I should be using it ie. pulling it in or letting it out.
ToniGe23 is online now Find More Posts by ToniGe23
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2010, 05:37 AM
Singapore
Joined Aug 2002
362 Posts
Dear Robert,

Unlike other radio controlled toys like planes, tugboats, helis and cars, IOMs are built by only a few suppliers. And another thing unique with IOMs is that unlike other radio controlled toys like planes,tugboats, helis and cars, the IOM is an international racing class,raced internationally and is recognized by a governing body like ISAF. IOMs in my opinion are not like other radio controlled toys like planes,tugboats, helis and cars, which I think are more on the "commercial" side. Hence, the few builders around.
Ed
Ed Morales is offline Find More Posts by Ed Morales
Old Mar 29, 2010, 05:45 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert May View Post
Ed without investment the fleet ends up with nothing new. .....

the suppliers are faced with a customer base who are happy to rip off/clone their best work, spend naff all but want instant success
Robert

The Nub of a very deep problem ..

The problem is that some see cloning a boat as a way to make money. Doing nothing more than harm the credibility of the whole sport.

I am reliably informed the V7 is soon to become the next big ripped off design.. And safe to say knowing some of those involved, the quality will be very poor.

Personally I have no problem with the cost of a New Boat The last Rockatansky inspired one (4 weeks lead time) went to UK in a blink of an eye.. Some 4 weeks & some 9 months which is where the confusion.
waboats is offline Find More Posts by waboats
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 29, 2010, 06:37 AM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,553 Posts
I'm definately one of the cheap and cheerful set and, being physically handicapped, dependent on public transport. The thought of paying some of the prices mentioned here would be an end to my interest in r/c sailing. As it is, I'm content to follow the thread for its general interest.
Wherever competition is involved, the top will always see a few willing to pay the price to seek success. However it is a few of a very much fringe activity and the chances of any single person making a mint or even giving up their day job are close to zero.
martin richards is online now Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Mar 29, 2010, 07:12 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniGe23 View Post
My new 'A' Class came with an adjustable clew works by a small servo on the boom running to a pully system at the end of the boom fixed to the clew have you seen these as I'm a little confused when I should be using it ie. pulling it in or letting it out.

Flat condition=flat sails. The Clew outhauls controls how much belly is in the sail. the more belly the more power. In top suit conditions you need to make it as easy as possible for what little puff there is to flow over the sails (think thermal glide ie minimum camber)

In choppy conditions you need as much power as possible so ease the clew out a bit and going back to tell tails use the acceleration setting rather than the pinching setting.

Upwind= in, down wind = out a bit, reaching= max power = maximum belly.

With a clew outhaul you will need to spend a few hours on the water for each wind condition. I would have the servo on a 3 position switch with preset positions for Beating, Running and Reaching (in that order) use model memories for each wind strength so you can get back to the settings for each. "A class flat" "A class light" "A class Medium"

An A Class with a few extra functions sounds like a nice way to fill some hours.
Robert May is offline Find More Posts by Robert May
Old Mar 29, 2010, 09:49 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert May View Post
In choppy conditions you need as much power as possible so ease the clew out a bit and going back to tell tails use the acceleration setting rather than the pinching setting.

Upwind= in, down wind = out a bit, reaching= max power = maximum belly.

Robert

Oooh to have that extra servo adjustment

Have you seen how some of the IOM guys are now using Self Adjusting Cunningham arrangements to realease the downhaul tension on the main as the sails are released for running conditions.. Changes the Belly of the Sail & gives that little bit more power when needed..

As sails are retensioned so too is the downhaul & the belly reverts to normal operation. Very simple arrangement that costs very little.

Works well in other classes as well..

waboats is offline Find More Posts by waboats
Last edited by waboats; Mar 30, 2010 at 02:07 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 30, 2010, 03:36 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
866 Posts
another interesting note on some 'A'class boats racing on Sunday was they had a seperate servo for the jib (hooray thinks Robert) the transmitter has 3 sticks they fit another stick into the same pot as the mainsail stick so both sticks will only move up and down but they can be moved seperately.
ToniGe23 is online now Find More Posts by ToniGe23
Old Mar 30, 2010, 04:24 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
"A"class and 10 Raters offer the ability to produce some fantastic, beautiful boats but they are simply too big, as are Marbleheads. To me "International One Metre" is a name which is at odds with tradition.

The International xx Metre rules from way back in th 1920's and 1930's (including 10r) allow for designer freedom. The only designer freedom on IOM is effectively station design; wide beam/narrow beam, wide transom/ narrow transom. That is a little bit staid.

Put aside the extra servos for a while and think about a proper International 1 metre rule where sail area is governed by waterline length, draft, LOA (effectively a half size 10R) beautiful extended bows and long overhung sterns, simply gorgeous! plus you would have boats better able to sail in a chop or swell on account of an effective inceased waterline length. Given the power of spreadsheet it wouldn't be difficult to measure such boats and getting away from Ugly Tub design would be a welcome relief.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 05:16 AM
k4s
Joined Aug 2009
391 Posts
There is certainly something about seeing a J or a 12 or an 8 or 6 even a dragon sliding through the water,splendid indeed.However a Wild Oats,Alfa Romeo,Mari Cha 3 or 4 is a stunning site as well.
Eye of the beholder I guess.I like them both,the concepts are equally evocative to me.
The older metre type boats are glorious too see,romantic in a way.The new breed are stunningly purposeful ,inspiring in their obvious mission.
Bringing that back to model boats and the comparisons are the same.I love the model 12's,EC's,Nautics,J's for the evocative and historic look they have.I also love the new Straight bow,flush stern and slab sides of the modern One metre.
Perhaps we will see a mix of the concepts ala the Wally Nano filter down to our toys.
Remembering that our chosen boats are small and that time is at a premium for most a spread sheet to measure,although effective,would be too time consuming for the average sailor at the pond.At present the sail size and shape rules for IOM make the measuring and certification of the rigs a quick process.Put the sails on a template,they measure or they dont,simple.If however they had to be individually measured then plugged into a spread sheet with displacement calcs of the hull many an hour of sailing time is gone.Obviously doable but imagine doing that for 30 or 40 boats before a comp.
Recently we handled 43 IOM boats in a little over 5 hours,This involved weighing keels separately,then rigged boats.Checking 2 or 3 rigs for each boat,simple.
Its this simplification of certifying that allows us to spend more time sailing at an event rather than going through the procedures.
I'm not saying I dont see merit in a square metre class,it could be really exciting,however I want to sail as much as possible rather than be tied up in process.
k4s is offline Find More Posts by k4s
Old Mar 30, 2010, 05:24 AM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,553 Posts
http://www.iomclass.org/doc-files/Te...ory_120210.pdf gives a history of the rules and their raison d'Ítre.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 05:49 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
I was thinking that the sail bods could be given the spreadsheet for the hull and they make and certify the sails, the measurement process then reverts to the same process as now.

Mike has shown us their example of a Helm handicapping system, if clubs are going to that extent to level the level playingfield even further, surely such a system could operate to level things up for all manner of modifications.

A top helm with a full house, 7 servo carbon boat would compete on equal terms with a newbie sailing a 30 year "Osmosis I" similarly all the variations of 1m waterline length boat could race together.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 05:52 AM
k4s
Joined Aug 2009
391 Posts
Thats a great document,thanks Martin
k4s is offline Find More Posts by k4s
Old Mar 30, 2010, 06:06 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin richards View Post
http://www.iomclass.org/doc-files/Te...ory_120210.pdf gives a history of the rules and their raison d'Ítre.
Maybe its time for another page or so to be added to that document.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 10:50 AM
USA, LA, Mandeville
Joined Feb 2005
886 Posts
I like the class because it IS pretty close to a One Design class, but I CAN build my own. Open the hull design up to a formula and there will be an arms race, exponentially greater than what goes on now! You want to talk costs? Having to own three to four hulls, and fins for the different conditions will price it waaayyy out of my range. It's bad enough with the "wide/narrow" designs.

If you want a different boat, start your own class and promote it! Canting keel? Four servos? Wing Mast? Sliding ballast? Write your rules and get it started! Call it the One Meter Open Class, OMOC. Will you exclude the multihull designs?

Should we start another thread, as we are NOT talking about IOMs now.
hew565 is offline Find More Posts by hew565
Old Mar 30, 2010, 11:11 AM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,553 Posts
As a matter of interest, there is a one design IOM class operating in South America, the ULY IOM,using IOM A and B rigs and a hull from authorised suppliers only.