Yes 26 49.06%
No 27 50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 24, 2010, 08:28 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,079 Posts
Scully,

Good luck on the weekend, I've got club racing Handicap starts, looking forward to it currently in secound place overall just need to knock off the commodore and I should be on top, problem is we are both on a 60 second handicap to start with and his extreme loves the heavy breeze like my Tassie Devil and it is 15-20knots expected.

Richard,

Shame there wasn't more Tempests in the fleet would have been nice to see how more performed, at least you and scully are waving the Tempest flag, still trying to sell my old boat before I am allowed to order the new one.

Mike
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2010, 02:14 PM
k4s
Joined Aug 2009
391 Posts
Mike,
There were a couple of Tempests,Gary from Tauranga sailed his to a good placing well ahead of me.The builder ,Carl sailed a new boat called Impact that he and a Team NZ guy are developing because he had just sold his Tempest a week before the contest.
Just walking and talking with the other competitors during the regatta was eye opening.The amount of different design ideas,from "normal" to "odd" was amazing.I learnt a lot of possibly valuable stuff with regard to my rig and sail settings just by asking for advice.One guy,Jeff.who won the event,I thought had blown me off a bit when I asked a question or two.However.it turned out he was in the next race and was kind of concentrating on his boat.He tracked me down after his race and helped me out a huge amount.That was the type of contest we wanted.
Something that really impressed me was the wind strength that the good guys could sail their A rigs in without the usual nose dive and control problems,sail settings and rig tension seem to be the real important parts according to them.IMHO their sailing skill had a bit to do with it as well.
This Saturday is the FUTABA contest in Auckland,so patching up my A rig(which I abused in too high a wind on the first day)and heading back into the racing fray
k4s is offline Find More Posts by k4s
Old Mar 24, 2010, 02:45 PM
k4s
Joined Aug 2009
391 Posts
Something else about this contest was really neat for me.
The site allowed for elevated viewing of the course for sailors not competing in the current race.The "brains trust",my name for the good guys all seemed to congregate under the big blue sun shade and provided a running commentary on whatever race was in progress.Their tactical calls were amazingly accurate.
During many races they called possible confrontations and breakaways well ahead of them actually occurring.Loud Ooooh's and Arrrgh's could be heard from a distance coming from this tent.Just like a good rugby match,really showed that even when not sailing people stayed involved in what was going on in the racing.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 09:18 PM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,079 Posts
K4s,
Jeff is the designer of the Mad Max, Cockatoo, Extreme and so on,
http://mirageradioyachts.com/
6 of his boats were in the top 10 at the Australian titles 5 were Mad Max's and 1 was an Extreme, so you were in company with a very good designer (by the way the other 4 spots were 3 pitanko's and an Italico)
Some of the guys I race with over here in WA have said he is very helpful and will go out of his way to help where ever he can, goes to show not all IOM sailors are stuck up, if we had more like him the sport would be a more friendlier place.
Mike
Old Mar 24, 2010, 10:10 PM
k4s
Joined Aug 2009
391 Posts
I keep hearing these comments about IOM sailors being "stuck up",not sure why.In the year I have been involved with these boats I have found nearly all other sailors welcoming,friendly and helpful.
Perhaps the attitude is from those not involved in IOM.I have noticed that the class seems to be a target for some who are not involved,dont know why, but I choose to ignore the negativity and get on with sailing the boat with others who are out to enjoy a competitive class on a fairly even level.This seems to be the feel right around the country here in NZ.The class is going in leaps and bounds with sailors from other classes(marbleheads,Nautics,EC12s,micros)either pulling their old IOM's out or getting new boats and joining in with the fun.
Long may it continue.
Since the Nats in Tauranga there looks like there will hardly be a month that doesnt have a semi major interclub type regatta for the rest of the year.Most are new events.
Perhaps it's a new attitude of positivity and inclusion that has been learnt from past mistakes.I dont know,but I will continue to enjoy the current attitude of the IOM community in NZ.
From the Aussies who came to Tauranga the attitude was the same so perhaps there is a world new order happening.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 11:11 PM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,079 Posts
I do know where the stuck up thing comes from there are some sailors out there like that, I sailed at another club afew months back and some were very welcoming and some keep to themselves.
The first day I went down to the club I am now a member 2 people shoved the tranmitter in my hands between their races and I was hooked, all are very helpful in different ways.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 07:56 AM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2004
103 Posts
Richard.
Pray tell,
What did you learn from the Gurus? Would be interesting to know thier ideas and may help me in the next race....God only knows how much help I will need! Colin and Jimmy have a very fast Pikanto and will test the Tempest to the max.
Cheers!
scully is offline Find More Posts by scully
Old Mar 25, 2010, 08:52 AM
Joined Feb 2010
32 Posts

Ervin... all boats are almost the same... all down to tuning and setup.... not to mention tactics on the water....
colin470 is offline Find More Posts by colin470
Old Mar 25, 2010, 10:41 AM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by colin470 View Post
Ervin... all boats are almost the same... all down to tuning and setup.... not to mention tactics on the water....
Are some boats more forgiving , when it come to setup? And why do some point into the weather better than others? Is that sail setup again? One more, wide or narrow or a compromise ?
gpzy is offline Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Mar 25, 2010, 11:11 AM
Singapore
Joined Aug 2002
362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scully View Post
Richard.
Pray tell,
What did you learn from the Gurus? Would be interesting to know thier ideas and may help me in the next race....God only knows how much help I will need! Colin and Jimmy have a very fast Pikanto and will test the Tempest to the max.
Cheers!
never under estimate the power of the stealth
ed
Ed Morales is offline Find More Posts by Ed Morales
Old Mar 25, 2010, 04:57 PM
Singapore
Joined Jan 2010
28 Posts
ed your cro made pikanto not ready for this saturday's race??

Jimmy
jteo70 is offline Find More Posts by jteo70
Old Mar 25, 2010, 06:49 PM
Singapore
Joined Aug 2002
362 Posts
hi jimmy
its 95 percent done but will race the stealth 2
ed
Ed Morales is offline Find More Posts by Ed Morales
Old Mar 25, 2010, 07:20 PM
Singapore
Joined Jan 2010
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Morales View Post
hi jimmy
its 95 percent done but will race the stealth 2
ed
was hoping for 3 boat on water test before race start...hehe
jteo70 is offline Find More Posts by jteo70
Old Mar 25, 2010, 11:23 PM
k4s
Joined Aug 2009
391 Posts
Scully,
The biggest impression of how the "Guru's" sail was how smooth everything they did was.Tacking was always a glide and gybing never involved the sails crashing across the boat.
Also the amount of time they spent watching the wind and water ahead(on the beat) and behind(on the run).Probably 50/50.They certainly were able to react to changes as they happened rather than after a change had already affected the boat,A skill that only time on the race course can teach.Just another reason to sail more
Old Mar 26, 2010, 02:42 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k4s View Post
Scully,
The biggest impression of how the "Guru's" sail was how smooth everything they did was.Tacking was always a glide and gybing never involved the sails crashing across the boat.
Also the amount of time they spent watching the wind and water ahead(on the beat) and behind(on the run).Probably 50/50.They certainly were able to react to changes as they happened rather than after a change had already affected the boat,A skill that only time on the race course can teach.Just another reason to sail more
Good thought. I'm only just learning racing but always remeber what I learnt as a kid --- good sailors can "see" the wind. I had a high school teacher who raced at the Olympics (solo sailing) and good sailors know the wind. Predict changes and react. That's how they win medals. I just play follow the leader and miss wind shifts. But.... now I have learnt that lesson. Do not follow them; they may make a mistake. Follow the wind yourself and catch it!

Mike -- I am not building a Maximuss. I'm moving home.

Larry
larrykin is offline Find More Posts by larrykin