View Poll Results: If you are reading this thread are you an IOM owner
Yes 26 49.06%
No 27 50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 05, 2010, 08:05 AM
Joined Jan 2009
347 Posts
Trakka is offline Find More Posts by Trakka
Last edited by Trakka; May 27, 2011 at 01:54 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2010, 08:06 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
Hidden in all the waffle was a question about the sail off Duel.

Knackedy old boat come good versus the Best that money can buy.

Its not just me interested to see the outcome of that one.

A recent study said that Popcorn contained as many calories as a 3 course meal.
Robert May is offline Find More Posts by Robert May
Old Mar 05, 2010, 08:09 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakka View Post
Look, charity alone makes me think you are being deliberately obtuse.
Quote:
As a member of the grammar police all I have to say is "AAAAAAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!"
Trakka

All in Singular... It's a simple task to read given your self annointed Grammar Police Status..

Do you have any references that show & can demonstrate how the Singular Word & Intent can be read as a plural to satisfy your position...

No need to be Obtuse, merely appropriate wording, considering your annointed position ..

PS Robert. I thought I would cut down on the popcorn now that you mention it.

Can't see the point in Old Boat vs New Design.. IMO 80%-90% is skipper alone so it's not a real test of design. Hence why looking for a faster boat when running 2nd over the season is a consideration for some. Fast Boats don't always make fast skippers.. Some ( A Lot) seem to think it does....
waboats is offline Find More Posts by waboats
Last edited by waboats; Mar 06, 2010 at 09:50 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 05, 2010, 08:25 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
Good, you have got a race to win. I don't know who to back right now but suspect the Popcorn might affect your blood pressure, I am tempted to back Mike.

There is a certain irony in the fact that your gents live on a continent where evolution runs amuck (Kangaroo, Duck Billed Platypus, Dame Edna) yet you are adverse to a tad of beneficial development.

I feel I ought to apologise for my spelling, grammar and sentance constuction, Dyslexia means that writing and reading are not my best friends.

Does "One", as in "does one", provide both a singular and plural address?

It is a pity you guys have to go to bed but I suspect all this posting was a deliberate ploy (Agreed in a PM pact) to take discussion away from considering changes to the IOM rules in particular, to allow a seperate servo to trim the Jib
Last edited by Robert May; Mar 05, 2010 at 08:36 AM. Reason: the cunning plan is foiled once again
Old Mar 05, 2010, 08:29 AM
Joined Jan 2009
347 Posts
Last edited by Trakka; May 27, 2011 at 01:53 AM.
Old Mar 05, 2010, 08:39 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
Quote:
No sorry, my mistake, not obtuse, just thick! Hahaha!

It's in plain English! Anyone with half a brain can comprehend that...usually.

And Mike, I bear no ill will towards Perth. By all accounts, a great place.

I didn't realise you had so many wombats there, though!

Cheers,

Andrew
Andrew

Good One .. More of the Same..

You note I make no reference to your comments nor your beliefs of the intention of the rules... Merely the rules themselves..

Seems to me that clearly this design is one that SEEKS TO CHEAT and hide behind the Covered Box..

Call it what you like, it is still Cheating...

Engineer a way of working two control units into one & there is not an issue..
Look at Mixers in Prop Driven Tug Boats that have incrmental & proportional steering with variable thrust & you might be heading in the right direction. It is doable but not as you propose..

The design submitted could be a simple way to cheat the system..

Oh don't forget the appropriate usage of the word "MAY" You missed your one opportunity to shine...

Last edited by waboats; Mar 06, 2010 at 09:06 AM.
Old Mar 05, 2010, 08:48 AM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
3,008 Posts
Quote:
A recent study said that Popcorn contained as many calories as a 3 course meal.
How much popcorn?
Quote:
(a) The mainsail sheet and the headsail sheet may be worked by a sheet
control line attached to the sheet control unit.
Guessing, but the mention of a "sheet control unit" is likely phrased to include both a winch and a sail servo as well as anything else that might turn up. The phrase "The mainsail sheet and the headsail sheet may be worked by a sheet control line" implies that there is just the one bit of string coming from the "unit", so it really doesn't matter how wondrously complex the unit is, all it is going to do is pay out and wind in one line, and that would likely be how a measurer would see it. It does not say "a sheet control line each"
mfr02 is offline Find More Posts by mfr02
Old Mar 05, 2010, 08:54 AM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2004
112 Posts
Gentlemen,
From my point of view, the rationale for the IOM class was to keep the yacht "affordable". With this, and the modern marvel of new building methods, the availabilty of exotic materials like carbon fiber and kevlar, building a 1M is not that more expensive than one from fiberglass...in some cases even cheaper. Then the aguement was that should this be allowed, it would automatically create a whole fleet of obcelete yachts. This in my opinion is no longer an aguement of cost but rather tradition. Hence I can conclude that this is a traditional class and advancements are limited to only shape and accessories.

Given a chance I would love to sail a carbon/kevlar yacht but the trill of the race and the company we keep far outweighs the need for the top of the line yacht, I am happy to sail my little boat in a class with the rest of the gang.

On the other topic of new vs old, I started out with a very overweight and poorly balanced CJ1. I learnt to rebuild the yacht and loose 300g in the process which brought it to an acceptable weight however the frustration of seeing everyone sail past you did me no favours. That yacht kept me in mid pack all the time.

Then the decision to purchase the Ares came about and from the time she hit the water till the time she was sold, she won races and in the process I learnt a whole lot more about sailing and triming than I would have with the CJ1.

My point is, you dont have to get the best design nor the most expensive design. You need to get a boat that sails properly and one which you can grow with until the need for another comes about. All the yachts I owned were never show stoppers nor world champions. In fact there were "untested" designs by international standards. Dont be too concerned by reputation and focus on skills.

Cheers!

Ervin
scully is offline Find More Posts by scully
Old Mar 05, 2010, 08:57 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert May View Post
Good, you have got a race to win. I don't know who to back right now but suspect the Popcorn might affect your blood pressure, I am tempted to back Mike.

There is a certain irony in the fact that your gents live on a continent where evolution runs amuck (Kangaroo, Duck Billed Platypus, Dame Edna) yet you are adverse to a tad of beneficial development.

I feel I ought to apologise for my spelling, grammar and sentance constuction, Dyslexia means that writing and reading are not my best friends.

Does "One", as in "does one", provide both a singular and plural address?

It is a pity you guys have to go to bed but I suspect all this posting was a deliberate ploy (Agreed in a PM pact) to take discussion away from considering changes to the IOM rules in particular, to allow a seperate servo to trim the Jib
Robert

You forgot .. We have Lots of KIWI's over here too.. Their National Anthem is

"I Still Call Australia Home"

No it was not a PM Pact.. I would not do such a thing... Me thinks it was somebody getting all twisted & bent up coz I believe his old boat is not worth the $1100 asking price. And without me he wouldn't have it to sell in the first place..

The Boat on Close Inspection will show flaws in the Hull from many years of neglect inside a Tin Shed with temperatures in excess of 60C or 140F degrees while it was gathering dust.. Well it did near 12 months ago.. Can't see F/G Resin suddenly improving from its deterioration..

Unfortunately I know more of the Boats past history than even the current owner, so I am well placed to make an informed evaluation..

The Boat was sold at rock bottom price back then becasue of its' limitations & unlikely to improve in value regardless of the Household Budget Spent attempting to make a silk purse out of a sows ear..

The Straw man got offended for his mate, which is unfortunate. Or perhaps you are right.. A PM agenda coked up between the two.. Who knows nor cares..

Like I said I don't necessarily agree with the additional servo but if you can do the single unit proper without a cheat mechanism (Like Mr Trakka suggests) then I'm all for it...

Spell away. Mistakes are OK. Most of us are human. You Yanks invented English anyway.. We are mere convicts..

MY suggestion on Skipper Skill is racing under One Design rules where everything is the same.. Pick a class & lets see who adjusts best.. R/C Laser perhaps.. Haven't sailed one yet... But may do soon..

Yes One is Singular...
Last edited by waboats; Mar 05, 2010 at 11:35 PM.
Old Mar 05, 2010, 09:19 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfr02 View Post
How much popcorn?

Guessing, but the mention of a "sheet control unit" is likely phrased to include both a winch and a sail servo as well as anything else that might turn up. The phrase "The mainsail sheet and the headsail sheet may be worked by a sheet control line" implies that there is just the one bit of string coming from the "unit", so it really doesn't matter how wondrously complex the unit is, all it is going to do is pay out and wind in one line, and that would likely be how a measurer would see it. It does not say "a sheet control line each"
mfr02

The one saving grace that Mr Trakka missed in his tirade was the word MAY...

"The mainsail sheet and the headsail sheet may be worked by a sheet control line"

The inclusion of this word makes the whole operation an Optional consideration & not a requirement.

Hence why Long Arm Winch units can carry Two Lines.. One for Jib & One for Main..

Mr Trakka missed his opportunity to shine so I shall do it for him..

So long as the Two Lines come from the One Unit all is OK...

Scully

CJ1 an old Colin Johnson design.. Had the CJ2 in C/F which was a little better in setup.. As you said capable but not great. No not a Race boat.. Just for Fun.. The Boat is still running strong around the traps.. I heard though that it passed official measure once..

It was once asked if this was a TS-2 design... Many sold as such...

Similar is some aspects but no where near the quality... As were the majority of other supposed Clones of the TS-2...

A clone infers a copy which in my opinion does an insult to the designer & Builder of the orignal TS-2. And Potential Purchasers

Describe the Boat perhaps in the Style of a TS-2 & stating its values & capanilities but being honest in its failings would also go a long way to upholding ones' beliefs & integrity.

John
WABoats
Last edited by waboats; Mar 05, 2010 at 09:38 AM.
Old Mar 05, 2010, 09:25 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,109 Posts
John,

Did I every ask you to buy my boat NO so why keep going on about it or have you got nothing better to do with your life apart from cause arguments on forums? (sorry about the spelling Trakka), just leave it and move on.

Mike
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old Mar 05, 2010, 09:38 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
The solution to who is the best helm? and is the old boat up to the job? is best resolved by two races one sailed with one's own boat, the second sailed with the other boat. If nothing more the spirit of a regatta will bring you closer together.
Transmitters at Dawn! Or given some of the photos posted earlier in the thread it could be Trannies at Dawn.

Popcorn article from The Times
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle7043136.ece
Old Mar 05, 2010, 09:57 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8387mike View Post
John,

Did I every ask you to buy my boat NO so why keep going on about it or have you got nothing better to do with your life apart from cause arguments on forums? (sorry about the spelling Trakka), just leave it and move on.

Mike
Mike

No you didn't.. All I stated was that IOM's have a history of being overvalued.. Older Boats with Good Equipment should be selling around $700 - $800 max.

That is my opinion & I stand by it..

Mr Trakka getting involved was perhaps not your best alley.. You have obviously felt the same way as you have asked him to leave it & move on.

If your boat has improved & is worth more then so be it.. I know its failings & would not consider its purchase.. Nor could I honestly recommend it as anything more than a good entry level boat. I believe it was sold to you as that. And for a few $$$$'s less than quoted on this forum from what I know..

As I said Photos might change my opinion but in their absence unfortuantely I can but remain questioning its true value. Which based on your modifications I would see $800 as being most appropriate & considerate.

In passing I would also like to say that passing it off as a TS-2 Clone is not appropriate. It is a Tassie Devil & should be proud to be known as one.

From all accounts you are satisfied and happy with its performance so why hide the facts of its origins. Surely the designer & builder of the Tassie Devil deserves some recognition.. .
Old Mar 05, 2010, 07:12 PM
Joined Jan 2009
347 Posts
Last edited by Trakka; May 27, 2011 at 01:52 AM.
Old Mar 05, 2010, 07:34 PM
NeverAgainVolunteerYourse lf
Australia, QLD, Regents Park
Joined Mar 2007
3,732 Posts
Guys, enough already

On an other issue,
IOM has 2 servos, deal with it, as has been mentioned before, you want all singing all dancing, get a Marblehead, now I wonder why that class is declining.

Good boats can be built of wood and home made materials, Michael Sharmer's (spelling?)boats of Germany is a good example of what can be done.

Shall we get back on track with a discussion of IOMs as they stand now and leave the rules alone here, there are more appropriate places for that discussion.

Thanks
Nick
nick_75au is offline Find More Posts by nick_75au