HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: If you are reading this thread are you an IOM owner
Yes 26 49.06%
No 27 50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 09, 2013, 06:45 AM
Joined Apr 2012
79 Posts
The question is what you declare the IOM to be. If it is declared a toy then lead will be an issue. The EU passed legislation, sometime late 2011 if my memory serves me right, banning lead from all toys! That is why the boats coming from China no longer have a lead bulb as they are sold as toys.
I have shipped two boats within the EU in the past 6 months declared as RC boats without any trouble. One went with TNT the other with GLS aka ParcelForce.
GER 87 is offline Find More Posts by GER 87
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2013, 07:17 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
1,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GER 87 View Post
The question is what you declare the IOM to be. If it is declared a toy then lead will be an issue. The EU passed legislation, sometime late 2011 if my memory serves me right, banning lead from all toys! That is why the boats coming from China no longer have a lead bulb as they are sold as toys.
I have shipped two boats within the EU in the past 6 months declared as RC boats without any trouble. One went with TNT the other with GLS aka ParcelForce.
Agreed i do know the US guys use the Toy label for customs,but again we are speculating.Only Graham Lorna and the buyer really know what's going on here.
The Tug is online now Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:21 PM
New Zealand, Northland, Totara North
Joined Jan 2013
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FWAL View Post
BOR is almost finished, just doing the final small jobs today. Tomorrow she should have her maiden but I doubt the racing will be on due to the forecast. Here's a shot of her bow, note the freeboard runs seamlessly into the foredeck.
looks really great
ndeverell is online now Find More Posts by ndeverell
Old Feb 09, 2013, 06:26 PM
David Cook Victoria, BC Canada
Joined Oct 2012
243 Posts
Quote:
BOR is almost finished, just doing the final small jobs today. Tomorrow she should have her maiden but I doubt the racing will be on due to the forecast. Here's a shot of her bow, note the freeboard runs seamlessly into the foredeck.
FWAL

Your new boat's bow looks a lot like my PP3's bow I built last year. See pic below (centre one). I found mine didn't have enough volume down low forward. In chop upwind. Mine sailed like a tugboat (ha-ha) upwind. I hope you have better luck than me. Your quality looks fabulous!

I got the idea from the Open 650 that trounced everyone in the transatlantic race a couple of years ago. That was mostly downwind.

Tomorrow my PP4-2 gets its maiden voyage. Tis the season for news boat.

David
PorkyPig is offline Find More Posts by PorkyPig
Last edited by PorkyPig; Feb 09, 2013 at 06:30 PM. Reason: typos
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:28 PM
Australia, VIC, Paynesville
Joined Sep 2009
153 Posts
Quote:
Looks great FWAL and fantastic finish for prototype. Interested to hear how BOR goes. If well, will you be producing?
coolmobility is offline Find More Posts by coolmobility
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:26 AM
Flying without a licence
United Kingdom, Wales, The Mumbles
Joined Dec 2010
540 Posts
BOR-rilliant

Thanks for all the kind comments.
In reality there are a few dust spots but overall I was very impressed with the Epifanes 2K paint. I doubt I'll ever commercially build IOM's but perhaps if one of my designs were competitive enough I would consider producing plans for the DIY'er.
I'm releived to have finished and will be going to the lake shortly to see if she sinks . As I thought the racing has just been cancelled due to the rain so I'll just go for a sail.
I've updated my BOR build RC blog here;
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=340972
Please don't hesitate to use the comments facility in the blog to ask questions in regard to the build. At the end of the day it's all about enjoyment, both building and racing. Winning is just a bonus
FWAL is offline Find More Posts by FWAL
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by FWAL; Feb 10, 2013 at 07:58 AM.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:13 AM
Joined Jan 2006
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxwyck View Post
Toni,
Very nice design - could you give some more info on this boat ?
Fox
Here's some more photo's of the Cracka bt Jeff Byerly.

Photos from: http://mainboom.blogspot.it/
llamedos is offline Find More Posts by llamedos
Last edited by llamedos; Feb 11, 2013 at 04:51 AM.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:53 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
1,928 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for all the kind comments.
In reality there are a few dust spots but overall I was very impressed with the Epifanes 2K paint. I doubt I'll ever commercially build IOM's but perhaps if one of my designs were competitive enough I would consider producing plans for the DIY'er.
I'm releived to have finished and will be going to the lake shortly to see if she sinks . As I thought the racing has just been cancelled due to the rain so I'll just go for a sail.
I've updated my BOR build RC blog here;
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=340972
Please don't hesitate to use the comments facility in the blog to ask questions in regard to the build. At the end of the day it's all about enjoyment, both building and racing. Winning is just a bonus
Epifanes never used or seen their 2k paint but they are known in the boating industry for the best quality varnish,i've seen 12 sprayed coats on a spruce mast like glass.
The Tug is online now Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:34 PM
Joined Jul 2012
167 Posts
I think it may be time to sell a boat, or two !
JK43 is offline Find More Posts by JK43
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:24 PM
Australia, VIC, Paynesville
Joined Sep 2009
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK43 View Post
He who has the most toys wins! - Unless he's married, in which case all rules change
coolmobility is offline Find More Posts by coolmobility
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:28 PM
Joined Oct 2012
243 Posts
Today was launch day and maiden voyage for PP4-2. Winds were virtually or literally non-existent but it gave me a good chance to see how a narrow and hard chine DIY boat can go in drifting conditions against some high-quality professionally designed and built boats.

For a look at our drifting conditions and my excited black lab, see the link below. Thanks Fred!

Porky Pig 4 Maiden Voyage (2 min 46 sec)

Now it's time to start designing PP5.
PorkyPig is offline Find More Posts by PorkyPig
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:21 AM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,138 Posts
With Labs having such "soft" mouths, maybe train him to be a rescue dog ! ???
Dick L. is online now Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:37 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK43 View Post
Well I'll take that old green thing off your hands :-)
ToniGe23 is offline Find More Posts by ToniGe23
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:38 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkyPig View Post
Today was launch day and maiden voyage for PP4-2. Winds were virtually or literally non-existent but it gave me a good chance to see how a narrow and hard chine DIY boat can go in drifting conditions against some high-quality professionally designed and built boats.

For a look at our drifting conditions and my excited black lab, see the link below. Thanks Fred!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQhDFVmqXlU

Now it's time to start designing PP5.
I think i just wasted 3 minutes of my life watching that
ToniGe23 is offline Find More Posts by ToniGe23
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:16 PM
Joined Oct 2012
243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniGe23 View Post
I think i just wasted 3 minutes of my life watching that
I did warn you. It's your own fault.