HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: If you are reading this thread are you an IOM owner
Yes 26 49.06%
No 27 50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:17 PM
Registered User
ToniGe23's Avatar
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJAN SAIL 51 View Post
The European Union has declared that lead is a hazardous material and you can not ship it
What country in Europe did the bulb leave from I'm guessing the UK as it was for a Fraktal and where did it get returned from I reckon not from the european side or was it.
ToniGe23 is online now Find More Posts by ToniGe23
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:20 PM
Registered User
ToniGe23's Avatar
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpat View Post
...Not quite.
The Cracka a development step on from the Destroyer, more closely related to the multi-chine concept of the Dreadnought Marblehead....
no wonder I'm still waitng for my sails from Mirage if they keep having to produce a new mould for new designs
ToniGe23 is online now Find More Posts by ToniGe23
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:34 PM
Registered User
United States, MI, Bloomfield Hills
Joined Feb 2010
532 Posts
I called UPS today about shipping lead and the guys there said they didn't now of any shipping problems from the USA, or within the USA. They didn't know about Europe or the UK.
TedFlack is offline Find More Posts by TedFlack
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:55 PM
Registered User
BAJAN SAIL 51's Avatar
Joined Nov 2011
93 Posts
Toni the boat was shipped from England to the USA
BAJAN SAIL 51 is offline Find More Posts by BAJAN SAIL 51
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:23 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2006
562 Posts
I think the issue with lead is not so much shipping, but if you call it a toy, then no lead allowed. Seems the US over reacted to lead paint in toys. Not sure if they resolved it, but for a while you could not sell kids motorcycles due to lead in the aluminum engine cases. As model boats can be considered a "toy" for children, lead bulbs can be an issue.
slotracer577 is offline Find More Posts by slotracer577
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:13 PM
Registered User
8387mike's Avatar
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slotracer577 View Post
I think the issue with lead is not so much shipping, but if you call it a toy, then no lead allowed. Seems the US over reacted to lead paint in toys. Not sure if they resolved it, but for a while you could not sell kids motorcycles due to lead in the aluminum engine cases. As model boats can be considered a "toy" for children, lead bulbs can be an issue.
That might be the answer, some people ship the hulls/boats as toys because of the import duty, having that on the customs paperwork might have caused the bulb to be removed from the parcel or it could be that the bulb was seperate and has just gone missing.
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2013, 05:35 AM
Registered User
KoneWone's Avatar
Germany
Joined Mar 2009
512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJAN SAIL 51 View Post
The European Union has declared that lead is a hazardous material and you can not ship it
I have spoken with 3 shipping companies in Germany and no-one knows that lead has been declared a hazardous materail that is not allowed to be shipped in or out of the E.U ( 2 companies actually laughed at the idea) ... can you kindly direct me to where this has been announced ?
KoneWone is offline Find More Posts by KoneWone
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:55 AM
Registered User
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
1,890 Posts
No the only evidence that i'm aware is this new Fraktal coming out of the UK to the USA and having the bulb removed and shipped back to the supplier.The boat apparently was order'd turn key and arrived missing the bulb.This is all 3rd hand therefore Graham Bantock would be the best person to be in the loop on what is actually going on or maybe if everybody is jumping the gun.One of you UK guys need to give Graham a call and ask him.
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:40 PM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2011
88 Posts
Might not be that it is a hazardous material, could be that it may be used as a weapon if carried in hand luggage.
Psychosis is offline Find More Posts by Psychosis
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2013, 06:28 PM
Registered User
BAJAN SAIL 51's Avatar
Joined Nov 2011
93 Posts
remember guys this is not fact, it is a question ? it is what we were told and we are trying to find out if it did
BAJAN SAIL 51 is offline Find More Posts by BAJAN SAIL 51
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2013, 06:49 PM
Registered User
USA, VA, Powhatan
Joined Nov 2010
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniGe23 View Post
this new IOM has not got a bow a drastic as the one in the video but it's on those lines.
Toni,
Very nice design - could you give some more info on this boat ?
Fox
foxwyck is offline Find More Posts by foxwyck
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:35 PM
Registered User
United States, MI, Bloomfield Hills
Joined Feb 2010
532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychosis View Post
Might not be that it is a hazardous material, could be that it may be used as a weapon if carried in hand luggage.
A couple of years ago my son and I flew to Dallas, Texas from Detroit, Michigan. We hand our fins and bulbs in our carry on baggage. On the way home the agent went nuts about the weapon we had in our baggage. Same airline different people. No big deal we simply checked the baggage and came home.

In the case in question here the boat was shipped from the UK to the USA and the bulb was not allowed to be shipped and returned to sender in the UK. It was deemed to be hazardous material. At least that is what I understand.

But I have checked with UPS in the USA and they say lead is not a problem to ship and another forum member checked in Germany and he was told lead was not a problem there. But I know for sure that China will not ship lead anymore, several RC boats manufactured in China now have steel bulbs. At first they got away with it by painting the bulbs but that didn't last long.

I also know that a lot of boats have come from the UK to the USA and have not had a problem. I am the IOM registrar in the USA and believe me a bunch of boats have come this way in the last few years since I took over that job and see all the registrations.

So....the question is, is this just a single case of an over zealous shipping agent or a real problem.
TedFlack is offline Find More Posts by TedFlack
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 09, 2013, 05:08 AM
Registered User
ToniGe23's Avatar
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxwyck View Post
Toni,
Very nice design - could you give some more info on this boat ?
Fox
It's built by Jeff Byerley of Mirage Yachts http://www.rc-yachts.net/mirage/inde...=81&Itemid=115 it's not in production though just a one off he playing around with but I do have his RM Dreadnought that is similar but bigger.
ToniGe23 is online now Find More Posts by ToniGe23
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 09, 2013, 05:28 AM
Flying without a licence
FWAL's Avatar
United Kingdom, Wales, The Mumbles
Joined Dec 2010
534 Posts
BOR is almost finished, just doing the final small jobs today. Tomorrow she should have her maiden but I doubt the racing will be on due to the forecast. Here's a shot of her bow, note the freeboard runs seamlessly into the foredeck.
FWAL is online now Find More Posts by FWAL
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: PSS ME bf 109 G-2
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 09, 2013, 05:48 AM
Registered User
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
1,890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedFlack View Post
A couple of years ago my son and I flew to Dallas, Texas from Detroit, Michigan. We hand our fins and bulbs in our carry on baggage. On the way home the agent went nuts about the weapon we had in our baggage. Same airline different people. No big deal we simply checked the baggage and came home.

In the case in question here the boat was shipped from the UK to the USA and the bulb was not allowed to be shipped and returned to sender in the UK. It was deemed to be hazardous material. At least that is what I understand.

But I have checked with UPS in the USA and they say lead is not a problem to ship and another forum member checked in Germany and he was told lead was not a problem there. But I know for sure that China will not ship lead anymore, several RC boats manufactured in China now have steel bulbs. At first they got away with it by painting the bulbs but that didn't last long.

I also know that a lot of boats have come from the UK to the USA and have not had a problem. I am the IOM registrar in the USA and believe me a bunch of boats have come this way in the last few years since I took over that job and see all the registrations.

So....the question is, is this just a single case of an over zealous shipping agent or a real problem.
Hi Ted,
well the Chinese will ship lipo batts where the USA will only do so within the US but not international now thats a weird one,so them not shipping lead is worrysome.Bottom line is to ask Graham or Lorna Bantock what the real story is.
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion X-3D Brushless Quadrocopter, general quadrocopter, x-ufo discussion tend2it Multirotor Talk 2529 Apr 26, 2008 07:45 PM
Discussion Kong Power Packs Info And General Discussion nitroshark Batteries and Chargers 10 Jan 12, 2008 11:33 PM
Discussion Kong Power Packs Info And General Discussion nitroshark Batteries and Chargers 32 Jan 03, 2008 03:02 PM
Discussion General Discussion PLD Australia 172 Nov 27, 2006 10:26 PM
General Discussion / Training Area zax Site Chat 0 Oct 03, 2001 01:48 PM