No 27 50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:01 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJAN SAIL 51 View Post
Has any one heard of a problem shipping lead ballast out of Europe .one of our buddies just got his new fractal and the bulb was removed and sent back to the shipper and they were told that lead cant not be shipped,i know that there has been at least a dozen or more brit pops shipped from England and France with out a problem .if this is true traveling to regattas may become a thing of the past.
I get leads out of the uk all the time with no problem, hope he asked for a discount because the big expense is the weight
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:40 AM
United States, MI, Bloomfield Hills
Joined Feb 2010
546 Posts
The Victoria Class went to a steel bulb a few years ago because of the problem shipping lead. They are made in China.

I wonder how the shipping folks decided it was lead without doing a destructive test. Could have been gold, or any number of other materials that are quite heavy.
TedFlack is offline Find More Posts by TedFlack
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:58 PM
NORTHLAND NEW ZEALAND
New Zealand, Northland, Totara North
Joined Feb 2012
563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedFlack View Post
I wonder how the shipping folks decided it was lead without doing a destructive test. Could have been gold, or any number of other materials that are quite heavy.
they weigh it and then measure its volume to find out its density.
D design is offline Find More Posts by D design
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:37 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8387mike View Post
Is that your new destroyer tony?
no Mike,
It's Dave's Destroyer that Jeff sailed and called it a Craka at the Ozzy Nationals.
ToniGe23 is offline Find More Posts by ToniGe23
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:58 PM
United States, MI, Bloomfield Hills
Joined Feb 2010
546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D design View Post
they weigh it and then measure its volume to find out its density.
I know how to do it, as do you, but.....do you really think the postal guys would do that. Just curious because I know a lot of guys that have had boats shipped from South America, Europe and the UK to the USA and other countries with no problems.
TedFlack is offline Find More Posts by TedFlack
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:28 PM
David Cook Victoria, BC Canada
Joined Oct 2012
243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJAN SAIL 51 View Post
Has any one heard of a problem shipping lead ballast out of Europe .one of our buddies just got his new fractal and the bulb was removed and sent back to the shipper and they were told that lead cant not be shipped,i know that there has been at least a dozen or more brit pops shipped from England and France with out a problem .if this is true traveling to regattas may become a thing of the past.
Toni et al,

If lead is going to be outlawed maybe it's time the class go to tungsten or depleted uranium for ballast as a couple of the Vendee Globe boats did. For the latter I hear the French give it away. Tungsten would shoot the cost way up.

Cheers

David
PorkyPig is offline Find More Posts by PorkyPig
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:28 PM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkyPig View Post
Toni et al,

If lead is going to be outlawed maybe it's time the class go to tungsten or depleted uranium for ballast as a couple of the Vendee Globe boats did. For the latter I hear the French give it away. Tungsten would shoot the cost way up.

Cheers

David
As if a top IOM isn't expensive enough already, anyone know where I can get a bulb made from depleted Uranium?

Was it the Vendee Globe or the Volvos that were going to use it? I remember reading somewhere it was a yacht to be backed by a government and they were hoping the keel would fall off to dispose of it.
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:47 PM
Australia, VIC, Paynesville
Joined Sep 2009
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8387mike View Post
Was it the Vendee Globe or the Volvos that were going to use it? I remember reading somewhere it was a yacht to be backed by a government and they were hoping the keel would fall off to dispose of it.
G'day Mike, you were right about Whitbread (now Volvo). Found this info. DU was encased in lead shield - fine as long as lead shield doesn't get damaged.
"The 22.25m ketch Pen Duick VI was built in 1973 to an André Mauric design. She entered the 1973-74 Whitbread Round the World Race, but endured mast breakage on two occasions. Tabarly also entered Pen Duick VI in the 1976 Plymouth to Newport Singlehanded Transatlantic Race, which he won, although the boat was designed for a crew of twelve and competitors endured five consecutive ocean storms. Pen Duick VI later competed against the carbonfiber-masted Heath's Condor in the 1977-78 Whitbread Round the World Race (Volvo Ocean Race as an unofficial entrant, due to its own exotic material - Depleted uranium ballasted keel."
coolmobility is online now Find More Posts by coolmobility
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:14 PM
David Cook Victoria, BC Canada
Joined Oct 2012
243 Posts
Hi Colin,

It's a small World. David Cook here. We sailed together in Melbourne many moons ago, 2006 \ think. Glad to see you've gotten into the IOM too.

Cheers

David
PorkyPig is offline Find More Posts by PorkyPig
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:41 PM
Love RC Yachts!!!
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2012
163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniGe23 View Post
no Mike,
It's Dave's Destroyer that Jeff sailed and called it a Craka at the Ozzy Nationals.
...Not quite.
The Cracka a development step on from the Destroyer, more closely related to the multi-chine concept of the Dreadnought Marblehead....
bigpat is offline Find More Posts by bigpat
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:33 AM
Germany
Joined Mar 2009
512 Posts
Quote:
If lead is going to be outlawed maybe it's time the class go to .... or depleted uranium
Cracka idea then can see our boats sailing in the dark, night racing

I have dumb question.... what's the problem with Lead now
KoneWone is offline Find More Posts by KoneWone
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:08 AM
Australia, VIC, Paynesville
Joined Sep 2009
153 Posts
Quote:
Hi Colin,

It's a small World. David Cook here. We sailed together in Melbourne many moons ago, 2006 \ think. Glad to see you've gotten into the IOM too.

Cheers
David
Hi Dave

Remember sailing against you well and trying to keep up with your advanced tactical sailing - especially overlapping break attempts at buoys :-) . It's a small world for sure. Would love to learn some IOM tactics from you - but a bit too far between us.

I live on the Gippsland Lakes 300km East of Melbourne and can watch the local YC yachts race from our home. Hope to join them in my modified 25 footer Quarter Toner soon too. IOM is a great way to practice tactics as I gave up Liberty and sold mine to San Fran Club in 2007. Only been into IOM for half a year now, so still on a steep learning curve.

Cheers from Downunder mate
Colin
coolmobility is online now Find More Posts by coolmobility
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:23 AM
Joined Jan 2013
124 Posts
Yellow Sub Plug

Nearly ready for final sand and polish
ndeverell is online now Find More Posts by ndeverell
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:25 AM
Joined Jan 2013
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndeverell View Post
Nearly ready for final sand and polish
I think this boat may sail faster upside down!
ndeverell is online now Find More Posts by ndeverell
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:02 PM
Joined Nov 2011
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoneWone View Post
Cracka idea then can see our boats sailing in the dark, night racing

I have dumb question.... what's the problem with Lead now
The European Union has declared that lead is a hazardous material and you can not ship it
BAJAN SAIL 51 is online now Find More Posts by BAJAN SAIL 51