Yes 26 49.06%
No 27 50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:54 AM
Love RC Yachts!!!
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2012
163 Posts
Is the jib sheet free to move inside the hull, or does it run inside a tube? I know some boat run the sheet through styrene or plastic tubes. If you sprsy solvent in there it can rough up the tube, adding friction.

Try switching of a tight weave spectra/ dyneema material, such as a good quality fishing line. 40-50lbs bresking strain is more than ample for an IOM. I use Sunline Super PE, in 50lbs. Its a tight weave, VERY supple, and has a hydrophobic coating. Try it!!!
bigpat is offline Find More Posts by bigpat
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:58 AM
Australia, VIC, Paynesville
Joined Sep 2009
159 Posts
To WAX or not to wax???

I'm relatively new to IOM racing and a mate has just reconditioned an identical hull to my Orca (wide planing hull). When he launched it in drifting winds he just walked away from me without any real trimming. I though (hoped :-) ) that it was his shiny new paint job versus my old oxidised one. Perhaps waxing my hull would help in below hull speed conditions. When wind picked up I was fully competitive with all in fleet (Actually 2nd overall).

Do you experienced guys wax your hulls or not? In my Kayak days a waxed hull was much more slippery and easy to paddle and I'd wax my small yachts before sailing. Haven't seen any comments on waxing RC yachts on any thread though...

Looking for comments and feedback.

Colin
coolmobility is offline Find More Posts by coolmobility
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:02 AM
Fleetwood, UK
Joined Dec 2010
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8387mike View Post
I have been asked by PM by a couple of people on how the Shiraz goes, I have attached a link to the results.
It was an Easterly and very very shifty wins, the Shiraz sailed by Ian Holt went very well he was up there till he left half way though the day.

http://www.clrsc.com/index.php?optio...iling&Itemid=3
Looking at the results it looks like in the first race Ian was either getting warmed up, or he had a disaster race due to hitting marks or other boats. Race 2 - 5 looks more like it but its a pity he had to leave early. Still its encouraging..

JT
john m taylor is offline Find More Posts by john m taylor
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:04 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,109 Posts
Yeah John it went well, and even in the light stuff with all that wetted area it was still quick.
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:15 AM
Flying without a licence
United Kingdom, Wales, The Mumbles
Joined Dec 2010
613 Posts
I've given up on a painted finish look! Last night I used a sharp chisel and peeled off all the paint. The paint came off like I was peeling a potato! Perhaps this is one causes of the paint problem, the cold, humid environment which is always prevalent when you live within a stones throw distance of the Atlantic Ocean. The primer hadn't hardened off properly after a weeks curing.
I ordered some translucent coloured pigment and will give the hull another couple of coats of epoxy resin instead.
FWAL is online now Find More Posts by FWAL
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: No software here!
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:43 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmobility View Post
I'm relatively new to IOM racing and a mate has just reconditioned an identical hull to my Orca (wide planing hull). When he launched it in drifting winds he just walked away from me without any real trimming. I though (hoped :-) ) that it was his shiny new paint job versus my old oxidised one. Perhaps waxing my hull would help in below hull speed conditions. When wind picked up I was fully competitive with all in fleet (Actually 2nd overall).

Do you experienced guys wax your hulls or not? In my Kayak days a waxed hull was much more slippery and easy to paddle and I'd wax my small yachts before sailing. Haven't seen any comments on waxing RC yachts on any thread though...

Looking for comments and feedback.

Colin
C.5.2 MAINTENANCE
Routine maintenance to the hull such as removing and adding fittings and remote control equipment, replacing hull patches, painting, polishing, smoothing etc., is permitted without re-measurement and re-certification provided the compliance with D.2 is notaffected.
waboats is offline Find More Posts by waboats
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:48 AM
Love RC Yachts!!!
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2012
163 Posts
I don't wax the hull, as it increased surface tension of the water. Rather, i polish mine a quality non silicone polish ( i use 3M body shop spec stuff). The ultimate finish is 1200 grit sanded finish. This is how i finish my foils and bulb, but i like a shiny hull :-).

With drifting conditions, i believe that as long as the hull and foils are suitably smooth, then it is the wetted surface area, and drag that determines if the boat feels 'sticky'....

Just check that the transomn is not too submerged at rest or when drifting. A wide stern wake is drag. Ideally you want the stern 'juuust' out of yhe water statically, and when underway, the wake to start as a single 'point' from the stern. You can adjust the position of your corrector weights, battery pack etc to tune this. 10mm-25mm or so makes a noticable difference......

As for painting, i believe 2 pack pint is the go. Very durable. I spray myself, but as long as you prep the boat ready gor undercoat, a body shop could do it cheap enough for you.....
bigpat is offline Find More Posts by bigpat
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:43 PM
IBEX Lair, Cavalero Hill
United States, WA, Lake Stevens
Joined May 2012
16 Posts
improving Sheet free play after a jibe. aka jib swing issues.

Jim,
When I first saw this photo last year, I thought it odd or some type of Photoshop trickery.
Now I hear of jib swing issues and it begs the question. Where is your forestay?
You know, . . The wire that feeds through the pocket in the front sail.
The forestay is required so you can adjust the headsail luff tension.

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...5-IMG_3995.jpg

I would like to see what is going on at the top for you headsail (jib),
Warren
Addicted to IOM fittings.
USA 42 is offline Find More Posts by USA 42
Last edited by USA 42; Jan 30, 2013 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Photo was confusing.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:15 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FWAL View Post
I've given up on a painted finish look! Last night I used a sharp chisel and peeled off all the paint. The paint came off like I was peeling a potato! Perhaps this is one causes of the paint problem, the cold, humid environment which is always prevalent when you live within a stones throw distance of the Atlantic Ocean. The primer hadn't hardened off properly after a weeks curing.
I ordered some translucent coloured pigment and will give the hull another couple of coats of epoxy resin instead.
more weight!
ToniGe23 is offline Find More Posts by ToniGe23
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:14 PM
Flying without a licence
United Kingdom, Wales, The Mumbles
Joined Dec 2010
613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniGe23 View Post
more weight!
I know!!
However, I'm still confident (fingers crossed) it will need some correctors
My last build VMG required 10oz's (290g) of lead so I roughly know that I should be OK with the extra resin, heavier winch and battery pack. If the hull excluding rig, fin and bulb are under 39oz (1,120g) I'll be laughing
FWAL is online now Find More Posts by FWAL
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: No software here!
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:25 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
IRT Jib swing/ sheet free play issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA 42 View Post
Jim,
When I first saw this photo last year, I thought it odd or some type of Photoshop trickery. Now I hear of jib swing issues and it begs the question. Where is your forestay? You know, . . The wire that feeds through the pocket in the front sail.
The forestay is required so you can adjust the headsail luff tension.
I would like to see what is going on at the top for you headsail (jib),
Warren
Addicted to IOM fittings.[/URL]
Warren
yes I agree that does look odd in this picure.. I don't have PhotoShop so the forestay must have been hidden on the far side of the jib. I can assure you, its there.. I'll take some picts in a day or two (top and bottom) ( very busy tonight) and you can take a look see..

Every one that's replied seems to be recommending I re-string the jib sheet lines rather than apply a lubricant but I know that will take me a LOT of time to get the segments all cut, threaded and re-tied to the right lengths, Unless there are some tips and tricks to doing this I'm reluctant to try cause it is only a problem in light air. Appreciate all the help tho.. Regards, JimS
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Last edited by jims123; Jan 30, 2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:28 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
IRT Jib swing/ sheet free play issues

Last edited by jims123; Jan 30, 2013 at 07:29 PM. Reason: duplicate post deleted
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:41 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpat View Post
Is the jib sheet free to move inside the hull, or does it run inside a tube? I know some boat run the sheet through styrene or plastic tubes. If you sprsy solvent in there it can rough up the tube, adding friction.

Try switching of a tight weave spectra/ dyneema material, such as a good quality fishing line. 40-50lbs bresking strain is more than ample for an IOM. I use Sunline Super PE, in 50lbs. Its a tight weave, VERY supple, and has a hydrophobic coating. Try it!!!
Will this work? is it identical in the 50 lb weight you recommend?
http://www.amazon.com/300m-Fishing-S...d_sim_sbs_sg_4

I'd have to pull the deck patch to be sure if there is a tube in there but I never noticed one over the RMG winch when in there last.. I will look more carefully at the white teflon inserts too, since it's possible the sheet abrasion cut a groove in one or both of them that is now causing a part of the drag..
Last edited by jims123; Jan 30, 2013 at 07:51 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:09 AM
Joined Apr 2012
31 Posts
JIMS123

Another cord worth a look is BERKELEY WHIPLASH a very fine diam in relation to strength, up to 100lbs and i think only .25mm diam and a very tight weave. I use this and am pretty certain most of the top boys use it. Bite the bullet and cure the problem for good.
DR P. is offline Find More Posts by DR P.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:17 AM
Fleetwood, UK
Joined Dec 2010
219 Posts
Private Message Issue

Guys
I dont know if anyone has been having trouble sending messages via this forum?I have sent several but my account still shows that none have been sent, or that they have been received by those who require my messages. How do we report the problem and are there others suffering the same issue.

Just a note to Romano Ramirez, I have sent you a reply but Im not confident you have received it.

JT

Name: Squiggle.jpg
Views: 123
Size: 111.1 KB
Description: Sailing in 2009
john m taylor is offline Find More Posts by john m taylor