Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:39 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
1,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedFlack View Post
Mini Rant.

The common thing I hear when I am trying to get someone into the class is that there are too many rules and the sailors act like snobs and sea lawyers.

The rule makers had better keep that in mind....in my opinion.

You forgot ..... "And Old Men" - as expressed by my son AND my grandson.
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:00 PM
Love RC Yachts!!!
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2012
162 Posts
I think the IOM rules aren't that complex really.
Its only all the requests for interpretations and class rulings that takes up a lot of paper.

Try reading through the 'A ' class rules... now that makes my head hurt......
bigpat is offline Find More Posts by bigpat
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:27 PM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJAN SAIL 51 View Post
good reason but why the V8
Who cares, just buy it Tony
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:21 AM
Germany
Joined Mar 2009
507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJAN SAIL 51 View Post
good reason but why the V8
the other IOM's are Britpops !?
KoneWone is offline Find More Posts by KoneWone
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:03 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoneWone View Post
the other IOM's are Britpops !?
Proberly not, Grant may have more then 1 V8, Greedy

Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:53 AM
Grant L
Auckland NZ
Joined Nov 2010
34 Posts
Hi Mike you are quite right, I do have another but it was a hull I was not happy with to sell as a production boat and I will never sell it. I also advertised the boat at the current price for the V8. With the amount of interest I could have sold it for quite a bit more but felt it was a fare price under the circumstances.
Buy the way the boat has been sold and thankyou to everyone who inquired. I hope I replied to you all.
PB88 is offline Find More Posts by PB88
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:53 AM
Joined Nov 2011
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8387mike View Post
Who cares, just buy it Tony
i am sailing AUSI power with Brit footing. that is confusing enough for the wind gods. cant add anything else to the mix.
BAJAN SAIL 51 is offline Find More Posts by BAJAN SAIL 51
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:36 AM
Flying without a licence
United Kingdom, Wales, Newton
Joined Dec 2010
481 Posts
A little painting set back. Don't know what happened but the Appliance Gloss spray has been a bit of a disappointment. I prepared the primed surface as per the spray cans recommendations but whilst the paint cured bubbles started to form under the spray paint and this is the end result
I guess I have a lot more sanding and painting to do
FWAL is offline Find More Posts by FWAL
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Add an X to VTX
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:24 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
1,819 Posts
Often caused by insufficient shaking of a rattle can. If not shaken well, the paint isn't mixed with the thinners/driers and you get a shot of thinner when you begin spraying - which will react as shown in the photos. Looks like you had some minor runs (too wet/too much paint at one time) and also possible the tape on your jib attachments may have collected the wet paint/thinners and allowed to seep out and cause the "orange peel" look.
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:28 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
improving Sheet free play after a jibe.

I have a question regarding a problem I have noticed with my IOM.. it shows up when heading downwind in light air under say 4 mph.. there appears to be some drag or friction in the Jib sheet lines free-play as they enter and exit the hull, which won't allow the jib boom to play out on it's own easily in a light breeze.. I know there are several other factors that may influence how quickly sails will play out to their fullest extent.. but it has me thinking.. do i really need to replace the sheet lines? ( something which i would dread doing) or is there a simple lubricant .. perhaps a silicon spray or WD-40 that would be recommended?

I am looking for a consensus since I know if I put the wrong lubricant on these sheet lines it could make the problem worse and then be irreversible..without replacing the sheets themselves..

Regards, JimS
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:15 PM
Joined Apr 2012
31 Posts
FWAL

I have in the past suffered with reaction on spray cans , I now warm the cans a little under a hot water tap and spray many very fine coats rather than heavy ones this solved my problems. Allow to dry between coats.

Also check the content mix on can as some contain solvents that react on on some paints
DR P. is offline Find More Posts by DR P.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:30 PM
Joined Apr 2012
31 Posts
Jims 123

I would check other items first, is the jib counterbalance the correct weight, is the jib pivot point free and do not have too much tension on jib sail in light conditions just enough to take any rinkles out. In light conditions sail loose as i found out from better sailors than myself
DR P. is offline Find More Posts by DR P.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:36 PM
United States, MI, Bloomfield Hills
Joined Feb 2010
417 Posts
FWAL,

I have had that same problem too many times to count. I think part of it is not a fine enough coat,it seems if I mist on a fine coat and let it dry for maybe 30 minutes it helps a lot. I also think sometimes it is a problem with the paint or primer that is on the boat. Heck, I'm not sure but the two things I mentioned seem to help. Let me know if you get a good answer.

Jim,

When we were at San Diego for the Nationals my son had a problem with his sheets not going out in light air they were kind of sticking to the deck so we put new sheets on and problem fixed. That darn salt water is sticky.
TedFlack is online now Find More Posts by TedFlack
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:22 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedFlack View Post

Jim,

When we were at San Diego for the Nationals my son had a problem with his sheets not going out in light air they were kind of sticking to the deck so we put new sheets on and problem fixed. That darn salt water is sticky.
Ted & DR P.
Thanks..
I have looked at "..the jib counterbalance weight ( I believe mine is a lower weight 20 gram? I need to recheck it and perhaps order a heavier one if that might help, Would it?

and I tweaked the jib pivot point .. its free and I'm confident after parking the boat near the shore and actually watching carefully and feeling the drag.. it is in side hull between the two white teflon inserts, it could also be, but I don't think it's the turnbuckle near the port corner inside the cockpit below, or other things. the friction in side the hull seems to be the main contributor to the problem ..

I think I may have got some glue on the sheet line accidentally since it feels a little stiff or waxy in one section.. so yes, I may need to replace it but was hoping for a lubricant instead since it's only a problem in light air. Of course that's all we've had here in San Diego lately is light Air.. I will wait till I have replacement sheet line in hand then lube it with a light silicone spray lubricant.. so If that really hoses it up I can replace the sheet lines
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:29 PM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8387mike View Post
Hey John,
I'll be up against it hopefully on Monday, Shiraz v Lunatic ( that is my boat not the skipper) yes it is 2 boats that you have sailed
I have been asked by PM by a couple of people on how the Shiraz goes, I have attached a link to the results.
It was an Easterly and very very shifty wins, the Shiraz sailed by Ian Holt went very well he was up there till he left half way though the day. We sailed against some of Perths top skippers (2 x past State Champs and a top 10 ranked skipper, all sailing very fast boats)
I am not a fan of the shifty wins and always struggle, you would be on a starboard tack and the knock would be that bad that you would end on a port tack, also it went from drifting to B in gusts.

http://www.clrsc.com/index.php?optio...iling&Itemid=3