View Poll Results: If you are reading this thread are you an IOM owner
Yes 26 49.06%
No 27 50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:13 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Oct 2007
8 Posts
General question Any one know the usual distance between center lat.res of IOM hull to center effort A rig sail plan
ronahearn is offline Find More Posts by ronahearn
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:20 PM
Canada, BC, Lake Cowichan
Joined Jul 2011
531 Posts
I have not seen any numbers posted in the format you request.

I have seen a number of plans that show the distance from the leading edge of the fin to c/l of mast at around 20mm. Some show leading edge of fin to trailing edge of mast but it comes about about the same.

John
hiljoball is offline Find More Posts by hiljoball
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:38 AM
Fleetwood, UK
Joined Dec 2010
219 Posts
Thanks FWAL,
Mr Damian Ackroyd, the builder of my design 'Shiraz' has only been moulding for a short time, but he has been working closely with David Creed for the last couple of years. We are slowly but surely getting there with this IOM.

Name: Shiraz a.jpg
Views: 148
Size: 87.4 KB
Description: Name: Shiraz d.jpg
Views: 175
Size: 81.3 KB
Description: Name: Shiraz e.jpg
Views: 149
Size: 82.4 KB
Description: Name: Shiraz g.jpg
Views: 171
Size: 90.3 KB
Description:
john m taylor is offline Find More Posts by john m taylor
Last edited by john m taylor; Jan 24, 2013 at 08:30 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:39 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by john m taylor View Post
Thanks FWAL,
Mr Damian Ackroyd, the builder of my design 'Shiraz' has only been moulding for a short time, but he has been working closely with David Creed for the last couple of years. We are slowly but surely getting there with this IOM.
Hey John,
I'll be up against it hopefully on Monday, Shiraz v Lunatic ( that is my boat not the skipper) yes it is 2 boats that you have sailed
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:12 PM
United States, MI, Bloomfield Hills
Joined Feb 2010
587 Posts
Mini Rant.

Reading various IOM forums around the world they are having heavy, and sometimes heated, discussions about; sail numbers, how to call sail numbers, colored resin, formed sails, and of course the typical rules discussion and the new version. I hope it is just winter boredom because a lot of these guys are chasing people away from IOM's.

The common thing I hear when I am trying to get someone into the class is that there are too many rules and the sailors act like snobs and sea lawyers.

The rule makers had better keep that in mind....in my opinion.
TedFlack is offline Find More Posts by TedFlack
Last edited by TedFlack; Jan 28, 2013 at 08:28 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:09 PM
Joined Jun 2011
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronahearn View Post
General question Any one know the usual distance between center lat.res of IOM hull to center effort A rig sail plan
In theory the CLE should be directly over the CLR. In practice the sail needs to be slightly forward because the draft of the sail moves causing the CE to move back. The balance you want is, on the wind, about every ten boat lengths the jib should start to luff and you turn off a little to keep the jib trimmed.
Turbo2u is offline Find More Posts by Turbo2u
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:46 AM
Grant L
Auckland NZ
Joined Nov 2010
43 Posts
V8 For Sale

V8 NZL 851 Tunzagrunt
Hull, fin with detachable bulb and rudder.
Designed by Ian Vickers
As new condition.
Can be viewed on NZRYA web site
$2300.00NZ plus freight.
Contact
lanes@slingshot.co.nz
PB88 is offline Find More Posts by PB88
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:16 PM
Australia (Sydney)
Joined Apr 2010
36 Posts
TED: KISS wins every time. Could not agree with you more.
iomthinkin is offline Find More Posts by iomthinkin
Last edited by iomthinkin; Jan 26, 2013 at 04:49 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:56 PM
David Cook Victoria, BC Canada
Joined Oct 2012
273 Posts
Ron,

I had the honour to learn a bit of IOM design from a true lost sailing legend, Geoff Smale, the first Kiwi to put NZL on the world stage as awesome sailors. See pic of him proudly showing off his 9 personal designs and his red Widget.

Geoff taught me to determine the fin fore and aft positioning you match the hull CLR with 25% aft of the average chord length of the leading edge. If you have a tapered fin measure the chord length at the hull and at the top of the bulb and average those to get the average leading edge. Then take 25% of that.

Another method that Claudio came up with was put the fattest part of the fin in line with the centre of buoyancy (the fore and aft position when you add weight to the hull and the boat immerses equally).

Cheers

David
PorkyPig is offline Find More Posts by PorkyPig
Last edited by PorkyPig; Jan 28, 2013 at 09:22 PM. Reason: forgot to include a key piece of info
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:46 PM
NORTHLAND NEW ZEALAND
New Zealand, Northland, Totara North
Joined Feb 2012
598 Posts
PB88 reason for sale?
D design is offline Find More Posts by D design
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:27 AM
New Zealand, Northland, Totara North
Joined Jan 2013
128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkyPig View Post
Ron,

I had the honour to learn a bit of IOM design from a true lost sailing legend, Geoff Smale, the first Kiwi to put NZL on the world stage as awesome sailors. See pic of him proudly showing off his 9 personal designs and his red Widget.

Geoff taught me to determine the fin fore and aft positioning you take 25% aft of the average chord length of the leading edge. If you have a tapered fin mesure the chord length at the hull and at the top of the bulb and average those to get the average leading edge. Then take 25% of that.

Another method that Claudio came up with was put the fattest part of the fin in line with the centre of buoyancy (the fore and aft position when you add weight to the hull and the boat immerses equally).

Cheers

David
Great shot of Geoff

I new him well and he coached me with my sailing 40 years ago!
He was a person who thought everything through
fanatical l with sail shapes

cheers Neil
ndeverell is online now Find More Posts by ndeverell
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:01 AM
Love RC Yachts!!!
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2012
163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedFlack View Post
Mini Rant.

Reading various IOM forums around the world they are having heavy, and sometimes heated, discussions about; sail numbers, how to call sail numbers, colored resin, formed sails, and of course the typical rules discussion and the new version. I hope it is just winter boredom because a lot of these guys are chasing people away from IOM's.

The common thing I here when I am trying to get someone into the class is that there are too many rules and the sailors act like snobs and sea lawyers.

The rule makers had better keep that in mind....in my opinion.
Ted,

There are always people that will politicise things, whether we'll meaning or otherwise.

I believe in enjoying the sport on the water itself, and involve one deeper in the sport if you wish. I myself take a interest in the sporting and technical regs, but avoid the online politics, or criticising those who put up their hand voluntarily to help administer the sport.....
bigpat is offline Find More Posts by bigpat
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:48 AM
United States, MI, Bloomfield Hills
Joined Feb 2010
587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpat View Post
Ted,

There are always people that will politicise things, whether we'll meaning or otherwise.

I believe in enjoying the sport on the water itself, and involve one deeper in the sport if you wish. I myself take a interest in the sporting and technical regs, but avoid the online politics, or criticising those who put up their hand voluntarily to help administer the sport.....
I am certainly not criticizing the people that do the volunteer work, if I came off that way I apologize to all of them. They are just responding to requests made to them by NCA's and they are doing there thankless jobs.

My comment about people thinking the IOM's have too many rules is true, I just think we need to be careful about adding more.

I am retired and the water is hard where I live so the discussions on line provide me a source of reading pleasure and entertainment while I wait out the winter. I am an internet junkie so it is all good with me. But I am a hard core IOM guy and will race them no matter how many rules they have, I love these boats and the people that race them.
TedFlack is offline Find More Posts by TedFlack
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:43 PM
Grant L
Auckland NZ
Joined Nov 2010
43 Posts
Three IOMs and a Marblehead, the boss said sell one.
PB88 is offline Find More Posts by PB88
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:34 PM
Joined Nov 2011
107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB88 View Post
Three IOMs and a Marblehead, the boss said sell one.
good reason but why the V8
BAJAN SAIL 51 is offline Find More Posts by BAJAN SAIL 51