View Poll Results: If you are reading this thread are you an IOM owner
Yes 26 49.06%
No 27 50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:30 AM
United States, CA, Fairfax
Joined Apr 2011
78 Posts
Yes, get familiar with the rattle can's to fix your bulb coating.
Spray can's will give you a quick fix and will not build up a surface that will make the bulb fatter and push more water (I'm trying to say this in a way the newbie's can understand).
Awlgrip or other 3 part epoxy paints need a lot of prep and work, which is fine for the fins or hull. But the bulb will get hit many times.
I use Valspar and the results are nice.
Houdini13 is offline Find More Posts by Houdini13
Last edited by Houdini13; Dec 03, 2012 at 01:39 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:55 AM
Fleetwood, UK
Joined Dec 2010
219 Posts
New design, Shiraz (IOM)

Guys,
May I introduce to all of you my new IOM design 'SHIRAZ'. I will say this design has been tested over the last 12 months and we have made alterations where possible to keep the concept of the boat original. Yes you all can see the SHIRAZ design incorporates a chine, yet all of my IOM designs have had chines.

I'm not going to say its the best thing since slice bread, but for the asking price, I do believe you will get value for money both in quality of build and performance. For full details please view my webpage and I'm sure the critics will sink their teeth into this one. I hope it leaves a sour taste.... LOL

JT
www.taylormadeyachts.com

Name: Shiraz%20(yellow).jpg
Views: 248
Size: 165.4 KB
Description: SHIRAZ profile view Name: Shiraz%20(Yellow)%202.jpg
Views: 251
Size: 146.8 KB
Description: SHIRAZ deck layout
john m taylor is offline Find More Posts by john m taylor
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:55 AM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,358 Posts
opinion: Side view looks a lot like an RG65
Dick L. is online now Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:42 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houdini13 View Post
Yes, get familiar with the rattle can's to fix your bulb coating.
Spray can's will give you a quick fix and will not build up a surface that will make the bulb fatter and push more water (I'm trying to say this in a way the newbie's can understand).
Awlgrip or other 3 part epoxy paints need a lot of prep and work, which is fine for the fins or hull. But the bulb will get hit many times.
I use Valspar and the results are nice.
Mike & Houdini
Thanks.. will do..

New Question: when a newly shaped and finish painted IOM Keel/Bulb combination then measures slightly over-weight what do you then do to fix that problem? Mine read 2500 grams before the paint chip..I plan to weigh it again before I start the repair... but I wonder do you just drill out some lead and cap the new hole in the finish if you're ever over weight? JimS
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:37 PM
United States, MI, Bloomfield Hills
Joined Feb 2010
588 Posts
Jim,

Just sand the heck out of it and remove a bunch of paint so when you spray it the weigh is the same.

Ted
TedFlack is online now Find More Posts by TedFlack
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:15 PM
NORTHLAND NEW ZEALAND
New Zealand, Northland, Totara North
Joined Feb 2012
598 Posts
Oh no not another chine boat...
D design is offline Find More Posts by D design
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:04 PM
David Cook Victoria, BC Canada
Joined Oct 2012
273 Posts
Here's another hard chiner

As JT mentioned all of his designs have been hard chines. It looks nice John. A narrow Lintel.

Attached are a couple of pics of my hard chine IOM which I call Porky Pig 4. I sail in a light wind region so I've tried to make the sections rounded to reduce wetted surface area, maximum rocker for turning and volume considering it's very narrow (160mm).

We all know BG has set the bar very high. It makes it that much more fun to TRY to reach it.

Any feedback?

David
PorkyPig is offline Find More Posts by PorkyPig
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:25 PM
Silly Old Fart
New Zealand, Wellington, Masterton
Joined Mar 2006
228 Posts
John "Shiraz" should not leave a sour taste in the mouth but rather a full bodied one with a peppery after taste.

I have one question which is not specific to your design but relates to the newer flush deck hulls. How do they drain water from around the mast base or do they not concern themselves with it? Well that is two questions really.

David has Porky Pig been turned on a lathe to gain the circular sections? It looks like a turning centre in your photo.

The challenge with any NEW design is competing with the tremendous amount of R&D that has gone into an established design. Many of us know how difficult it is to tune any new boat. Best wishes to all the new hull designers for a successful campaign." May you always be on the correct side of the lift."
CaptainBit is offline Find More Posts by CaptainBit
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:39 PM
David Cook Victoria, BC Canada
Joined Oct 2012
273 Posts
I drain my mast tube/boomvang/kicker well through the bottom of the mast tube into the keelbox. not sure if it creates and turbulance (cavitation) to the keel but at least it empties the water.
PorkyPig is offline Find More Posts by PorkyPig
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:51 PM
NORTHLAND NEW ZEALAND
New Zealand, Northland, Totara North
Joined Feb 2012
598 Posts
why not have a pipe from the well to the stern.?
D design is offline Find More Posts by D design
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:55 AM
Fleetwood, UK
Joined Dec 2010
219 Posts
Shiraz (IOM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBit View Post
John "Shiraz" should not leave a sour taste in the mouth but rather a full bodied one with a peppery after taste.

I have one question which is not specific to your design but relates to the newer flush deck hulls. How do they drain water from around the mast base or do they not concern themselves with it? Well that is two questions really. "
That sounds a better option Captain... LOL...

I dont mind critics because they alternatively advertise the product being discussed, it gets people talking. The only thing I do mind about are peoples opinions, when they themselves havent made the effort in designing, creating and producing a finished yacht. These days I spend more and more time testing my ideas out prior to making them a comercial product. Once you have the basis of a good design, the next challenge is to perfect the building technique. Again there is increasing pressure to make a well turned out yacht. Over the years people expect a rise in excellence within the standards of building, but still not pay extra for the yacht. (The economic times we are in I suppose).

Another thing Ive found whilst creating this IOM, is once you have tested the boat, perfected the building technique and because there is always so many new designs coming out in quick succession, its likely that someone has produced a yacht that looks similar to yours. (As per a comment made to me on a previous page on this forum) In my case after the UK Championships, I found two different yachts who had a similar deck design to mine, so at the last minute I made the change to the deck to try and stay away from other designers.

I will listen to people's opinions if there constructive and of sound sense. However, some critics deserve the peppery taste in the mouth because they do not understand what a designer and a builder goes through before putting their creations on the water. Its something for critics to think about before they start.

As for the water on the deck, when the boat heels the water will naturally drain away.

JT
www.taylormadeyachts.com
Last edited by john m taylor; Dec 04, 2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 10:36 AM
OlivierFRA100
Joined Nov 2006
185 Posts
John, regarding full bodied taste, CaptainBit talks about Shiraz WINE taste ;-) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syrah
FRA3700 is offline Find More Posts by FRA3700
Old Dec 04, 2012, 12:12 PM
Calgary Alberta, Canada
Joined Feb 2008
297 Posts
Iom Rudder measurements?

I noticed a lot of rectangular rudders lately, could someone tell me the rough measurements?
A.B. is offline Find More Posts by A.B.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 12:41 PM
Germany, Munich
Joined Dec 2006
67 Posts
Chinez?

my iom...
extrem modified sharming mk 15a.
http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showt...n-neuer-Anlauf

sorry...german.
torti is offline Find More Posts by torti
Old Dec 04, 2012, 01:22 PM
Fleetwood, UK
Joined Dec 2010
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRA3700 View Post
John, regarding full bodied taste, CaptainBit talks about Shiraz WINE taste ;-) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syrah
Ahh Olivier thats a good point, you see communicating with a beer drinker I'm easily confused. I rarely touch wine so im not educated in the practise. Yet i will keep to my above comments anyway for the education of critics.

Merry Christmas everyone.

JT