Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:04 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniGe23 View Post
no Mike we have adopted him
Darn Good Sailor no matter where he comes from.. Home is where the heart is...

Sailing under GBR so must be a Blinking POM.... for this one anyway.

Only 4 races done so far.. Must be a tad boring waiting around for the next turn ...

How many can race on 2.4g at the one time.. Now that would be a spectacle worth watching.... Fleet Racing at its' Ultimate Limits..
waboats is offline Find More Posts by waboats
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:11 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
1,930 Posts
Rob Walsh is sending back some info to the Uk forum,says there is tide and light wind in the early races some new video out now wind looks better.One start you could see the boats almost going backwards in the current.
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:57 AM
United States, MI, Bloomfield Hills
Joined Feb 2010
547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waboats View Post
Darn Good Sailor no matter where he comes from.. Home is where the heart is...

Sailing under GBR so must be a Blinking POM.... for this one anyway.

Only 4 races done so far.. Must be a tad boring waiting around for the next turn ...

How many can race on 2.4g at the one time.. Now that would be a spectacle worth watching.... Fleet Racing at its' Ultimate Limits..
We sailed with 28 on the line recently, pretty exciting! I though the line was way too long until we put all the boats in the water, then it seemed kind of short.
TedFlack is offline Find More Posts by TedFlack
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:11 PM
Calgary Alberta, Canada
Joined Feb 2008
273 Posts
What is being used for Jib forestay on the A, B, C rigs? Wire or 80lb spectra?
A.B. is offline Find More Posts by A.B.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:33 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waboats View Post

How many can race on 2.4g at the one time.. :
.. there have been a couple outdoor RC Power airplane events with over 100each 2.4 Gig planes in the air at the same time .. in that situation I bet there was some conflict but apparently negligible as many of the planes lasted up there flying for several minutes..
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:37 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.B. View Post
What is being used for Jib forestay on the A, B, C rigs? Wire or 80lb spectra?
Wire!
ToniGe23 is offline Find More Posts by ToniGe23
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:40 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
824 Posts
Quote:

there were 72 boats at the RM Worlds this year most on 2.4Ghz no issues at all in fact the guys who had issues were on 40 Meg!
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:31 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
824 Posts
Race 1 Heat A

IOM Europeans 2012: Race 1 / Heat A (5 min 55 sec)
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:29 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniGe23 View Post
there were 72 boats at the RM Worlds this year most on 2.4Ghz no issues at all in fact the guys who had issues were on 40 Meg!
Maybe it's time to consider bigger Fleets at these Regattas. These are the better sailors afterall.

There should be no problem with having 20-25 in each fleet. That way more races can be had.. Not sure 2-3 races a day really is a good way of deciding a major championship.

Does the heat management system really work that well in these circumstances..

The other thing to consider would be Pre-Qualification events & limit the overall final fleet size.. Each Country or Region could be limited to 3-4 entrants & they earn their entry spots via their Nations events.

When it comes to Final Regatta the Best of the Best are there representing Their country. Might improve the profile as National Pride takes over..

Just a thought..
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:04 PM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
1,930 Posts
A country's sailors are supposed to have ranked in thier local events,only when the sailors who have ranked highest cannot go may a lesser ranked sailor fill his shoes.Have you ever started a race in the IOM class with 20 boats if you watch those vids you might see what traffic is all about .More than 20 is simply a demolition derby.
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:42 PM
United States, MI, Bloomfield Hills
Joined Feb 2010
547 Posts
"Does the heat management system really work that well in these circumstances."

Simple answer, YES

The other thing to consider would be Pre-Qualification events & limit the overall final fleet size.. Each Country or Region could be limited to 3-4 entrants & they earn their entry spots via their Nations events.

That is exactly how the IOM class works.

When it comes to Final Regatta the Best of the Best are there representing Their country. Might improve the profile as National Pride takes over..

Again, exactly how the IOM class works, the sailors from each country are representing their country and they know it. I have seen numerous comments about "Team GBR" , "Team USA, etc.....
TedFlack is offline Find More Posts by TedFlack
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:42 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedFlack View Post

That is exactly how the IOM class works.

I suppose the main reason I raised the question on Qualification was the inconsistency in the National Representation..

http://www.scor.hr/regate/2012e/iomec-entries.htm

Given the Numbers would it not be better to reduce the Overall Fleet Size rather than increase a country participation just because another country has minimal numbers.

Make the Fleet managable & based on past experience & perhaps limit the size to 40 or 50 (or there abouts).. More Quality Racing

Some are there for Experiece is the standard call.. But they get that in Pre-Qualification..

From what I have seen I would say the top Two or Three from a National Regatta should be the reps for a country & maybe one other.

From there it comes down to who can afford the travel & Filling Up the Numbers.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:56 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Before I run off and patent this technique...will it work.. Is there a better way?

I'm concerned that twice now.. After a full day on the water , I drained a teaspoon of water from the hull.. So here is how I plan to try to find the leak.. I'll borrow the aquarium pump and some airline tubing .. And connect it into the 1/4 inch drain plug hole and seal it... While I pump in air, I'll put soapy water all over the hull and see where it bubbles.. Will it find the leak? Is there a better way? No.. I don't have a swimming pool.. JimS
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:28 PM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123 View Post
I'm concerned that twice now.. After a full day on the water , I drained a teaspoon of water from the hull.. So here is how I plan to try to find the leak.. I'll borrow the aquarium pump and some airline tubing .. And connect it into the 1/4 inch drain plug hole and seal it... While I pump in air, I'll put soapy water all over the hull and see where it bubbles.. Will it find the leak? Is there a better way? No.. I don't have a swimming pool.. JimS
Hi Jim,
I am guessing that you winch is in front of the mast in the fore deck?
How windy was the day?

Mike
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:15 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,094 Posts
I vote that all major events are to be held in Croatia, up to date scores and videos that make it exicting.
Well done the Croatia team for the great Media coverage
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike