Yes 26 49.06%
No 27 50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:12 AM
Joined Apr 2012
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tug View Post
QUOTE=waboats;23282333]Have to say I get a little tired with the constant references to one design over another which almost suggests a breech & infringement of Intellectual Copyright.. It's been suggested before..

In the old days we always had chined boats.. Easier to build...

For Me this IOM looks to be an evolution in Design (Good or Bad??) and it is Distinctly

"KANTUN" like...
I totally agree we have a Chienz and a BP here that sit side by side in the club and i can't say they look alike.We've got a new Lintel arriving for next weekend's regatta to spice up everything.At least the fleet is getting hotter for shure with another 4 boats on order,i'll see if i can get some pics of these 2 side by side this weekend.[/QUOTE]
DR P. is offline Find More Posts by DR P.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:14 AM
Joined Apr 2012
31 Posts
I hope we get some pics of euros.

Interesting to see he is useing a good set of sails [ bg]
DR P. is offline Find More Posts by DR P.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:04 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
1,956 Posts
Maybe not the jib.Me i want blow by blow VIDEO not pics,we Bajans started that and it's really wonderful for armchair sailors who can't attend.
The Tug is online now Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:27 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Based on what i can see it looks fine,Yes a tank test is really the only way but run the ruler it will give you an idea of what's going on as the transom has to hit the back of the tank.All you need now is some of the wifes cling film wrap and clean up the fit here's how you do this.
(1)put boat upsidedown on table vasiline the shaft hole.
(2)get wifes cling film wrap and stretch it on there so theres no wrinkles in the rudder area.
(3)apply filler to top of rudder
(4)insert shaft into hole
(5)send it down until filler makes contact with cling film wrap.
(6)let it dry for 2-3 hours and remove it
(7)sand it,therefore you use only a small amount of filler.dead easy
Tug,
Yes, I want to do this mold work to close the gap to the Hull... But:

In the model aircraft world we use "Micro-Baloons" or Milled Fiberglass in a slurry with Epoxy as a filler:

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Planes-M...ref=pd_sim_t_2

You are suggesting use a different type of filler I've never heard of.. can you tell me what it's called, who makes it, and ideally where to order a small amount of it? I have bondo and it's catalyst .. it's pretty thick and it has embedded Fiberglas strands in it as well ( making it harder to work with in a small project like this is).. but I'm afraid it, and the other materials I have won't gel firm enough to hold up while it dries against the mold very well, so it likely won't hold the shape needed at the top of the fin flat surface or result in the anything close to the correct shape as it melts down and dries on the covered hull.

Wouldn't it be better to just pull the rudder, use two strips of 2 inch painters masking tape on either side of the fin to make a 1/2 inch pocket I can fill with 1/4 inch of filler and then once dried.. peel off the tape, and then manually sand and shape the contour to the hull later?.. that way there will be minimal to no "shaping" needed at the black/ flat edges of the current fin? If i had some of you filler to test it's viscosity, or experience with it I'd likely feel different Thanks Again.. JimS
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:17 PM
United States, MI, Bloomfield Hills
Joined Feb 2010
555 Posts
Does anyone know where to get updates for the European Championships, other than their website which doesn't appear to have a location for pictures or updates.
TedFlack is offline Find More Posts by TedFlack
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:48 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedFlack View Post
Does anyone know where to get updates for the European Championships, other than their website which doesn't appear to have a location for pictures or updates.
Probably the MYA will have updates, while I was at the RM Worlds Rob was doing a nightly update on the MYA forum and twitter
ToniGe23 is offline Find More Posts by ToniGe23
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:52 PM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
1,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123 View Post
Tug,
Yes, I want to do this mold work to close the gap to the Hull... But:

In the model aircraft world we use "Micro-Baloons" or Milled Fiberglass in a slurry with Epoxy as a filler:

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Planes-M...ref=pd_sim_t_2

You are suggesting use a different type of filler I've never heard of.. can you tell me what it's called, who makes it, and ideally where to order a small amount of it? I have bondo and it's catalyst .. it's pretty thick and it has embedded Fiberglas strands in it as well ( making it harder to work with in a small project like this is).. but I'm afraid it, and the other materials I have won't gel firm enough to hold up while it dries against the mold very well, so it likely won't hold the shape needed at the top of the fin flat surface or result in the anything close to the correct shape as it melts down and dries on the covered hull.

Wouldn't it be better to just pull the rudder, use two strips of 2 inch painters masking tape on either side of the fin to make a 1/2 inch pocket I can fill with 1/4 inch of filler and then once dried.. peel off the tape, and then manually sand and shape the contour to the hull later?.. that way there will be minimal to no "shaping" needed at the black/ flat edges of the current fin? If i had some of you filler to test it's viscosity, or experience with it I'd likely feel different Thanks Again.. JimS
Micro ballons work just fine but i mix it with west system epoxy this stuff is really strong mix it until it cannot drop off of the stirstick as a liquid,you should be able to get that at west marine -boat US stores in a small quantity,i suggest doing it the way i said just don't put on heaps and what comes out sideways will be easily water sanded using a sanding block,this could be anything flat with sandpaper on it i use a piece of plywood and then go to a very fine paper the top part that went on to the cling film will be a perfect fit.Maskin tape is going to distort in shape and sanding the top you'll get close but not perfect therefore in the end you have neither surface correct.Don't freak i've done this more than once and it's so easy.
The Tug is online now Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:39 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Micro ballons work just fine but i mix it with west....i've done this more than once and it's so easy.
Ok cool ill get the West Sys Epoxy and use my MicroBaloons and do it with the cling wrap next week.. Thanks jimS
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:42 AM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,152 Posts
Here is something provided by Gougeon Brothers (makers of WEST System epoxies and hardeners) for mixing really small amounts of epoxy - and without a lot of measuring, weighing and the need for a scale. Because WEST must be mixed in a ratio of 5:1 (resin to hardener) one pump from a quart of resin and one pump from a pint of hardener will produce enough resin to provide coverage of a 1 meter hull, you will waste a lot of epoxy and the still is relatively expensive. (That said I would use nothing else). Oh - be sure to buy a pump for each size of can - and remember - the pumps measure 5:1 for each full pump stroke. DO NOT press resin pump five (5) times or your finished mix will wind up like chewing gum!

Print out the attachment, cover with wax paper, and fill each circle with the resin (big circle) and hardener (small circle) and then mix well. AFTER mixing, keep adding your filler of choice to make the mix thicker and less runny. The attachment contains a bit of theory behind using the circle - and you can enlarge or reduce on a copier to meet your needs.

Good luck with the project. Dick
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:06 PM
Joined Jul 2012
173 Posts
Hi Peter
I think you may need to head over there with your camera...
Jeff
JK43 is offline Find More Posts by JK43
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:41 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
826 Posts
IOM Europeans 2012 Cres

The 2011 Europeans should be starting in full today 'Good Luck UK Skippers' I'm reckoning on a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for UK!
ToniGe23 is offline Find More Posts by ToniGe23
Last edited by ToniGe23; Nov 19, 2012 at 02:51 AM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:06 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,097 Posts
You mean 2nd and 3rd Brad is still an Aussie
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:13 AM
Joined Sep 2012
11 Posts
Great to see the coverage on the iomec2012.com results on the
1st heat and a great YouTube footage . Look forward to the rest of the week.
Strobe2 is offline Find More Posts by Strobe2
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:51 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick L. View Post
.... or your finished mix will wind up like chewing gum!
Good luck with the project. Dick
Dick L.
Thanks for the WEST System epoxies 101 ... will do JimS
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:43 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8387mike View Post
You mean 2nd and 3rd Brad is still an Aussie
no Mike we have adopted him