Yes 26 49.06%
No 27 50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:16 PM
USA, MI, Ortonville
Joined Sep 2006
37 Posts
patch removal

If you are having trouble removing deck patches, I would reccomend using a hair dryer on medium heat to loosen the adhesive.... If you have adhesive left on the hull, WD40 and a soft cloth will remove it.....

Frank Vella
fvracerone1 is offline Find More Posts by fvracerone1
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:08 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
HS 645MG replacement?

I appreciate all the tips on deck patch material and ordered some of the more durable material ToniG recommended to compare as well.. Have another question..

I noticed that my rudder servo tends to buzz a bit when the stick is idle, and it doesn't center properly each time I tap it left or right it toggles and centers about 5 degrees off to the left or right of center-line.. There doesn't seem to be friction in the rudder shaft or control rod linkage that would cause this so i want to replace it.. I've just ordered an identical servo but wonder, is there a significantly better alternative rudder Servo out there for IOM's now? this Hitec HS645MG is pretty old , as is this boat..

Regards. JimS
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:44 AM
United States, MI, Bloomfield Hills
Joined Feb 2010
586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123 View Post
I appreciate all the tips on deck patch material and ordered some of the more durable material ToniG recommended to compare as well.. Have another question..

I noticed that my rudder servo tends to buzz a bit when the stick is idle, and it doesn't center properly each time I tap it left or right it toggles and centers about 5 degrees off to the left or right of center-line.. There doesn't seem to be friction in the rudder shaft or control rod linkage that would cause this so i want to replace it.. I've just ordered an identical servo but wonder, is there a significantly better alternative rudder Servo out there for IOM's now? this Hitec HS645MG is pretty old , as is this boat..

Regards. JimS
I use a $10.00 Futaba 3004, it works great. After a full season of using them in two different boats I think they are fine I used to use $100.00 fancy digital steering servo's but not any more.
TedFlack is offline Find More Posts by TedFlack
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:04 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,139 Posts
When a servo is buzzing there is a bind somewhere,check the top of the rudder and the bottom of the boat then shaft then linkage.
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:51 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tug View Post
When a servo is buzzing there is a bind somewhere,check the top of the rudder and the bottom of the boat then shaft then linkage.
Tug,
Agreed, but the rudder, with no control arm attached spins easily in the shaft, I did replace the arm and drilled the hole for the rod only slightly, so that is a little snug yes,.. but I want it that way to keep the linkage free play down.. that leaves this little rubber hull access tube, and I will try to lubricate it a little with some silicon lube.. or it's the centering failure in the servo itself causing the intermittent buzz.. I want to see if it persists with the new servo before worrying about it but I do completely agree it's not normal, and that while it's buzzing, I know the servo is draining my battery quickly. ( I don't want to risk replacing that access tube but that's where the drag is now)

by the way if you look to the right of and above the control arm you will see where I think a little water got into the boat last time out.. thru that slight air gap under the clear laminating film.. I believe that lifted slightly last time out.. .. I will be replacing it soon too..

Thanks.. JimS
Last edited by jims123; Nov 12, 2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:01 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedFlack View Post
I use a $10.00 Futaba 3004, it works great. After a full season of using them in two different boats I think they are fine I used to use $100.00 fancy digital steering servo's but not any more.
Ted,
it's very encouraging to know an IOM can still sail well with a servo that has got 1/2 the torque in mine now.. I am tempted but for one thing.. here in San Diego the Local HiTec repair outfit has always repaired and/or replaced any servo mailed to them for free. I've done this a half dozen times on glider/airplane servos. So. I'm sticking with Hitec for that reason and am pretty confident I can get this one fixed ( for use as a spare) too.. Another friend met here on this thread sent me a half dozen links to several others that would work well .. including some water proof ones from HiTec RCD so it's great to know there are so many alternatives including cheaper ones that work well. Thanks Again, JimS
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:10 PM
Joined Mar 2012
237 Posts
I used to have the problem of servos not centering, buzzing and burning out. On my futaba, I found that if you lower the sensitivity of the signal put out by the transmitter the problem goes away and it doesn't affect control in any way.
Tom Corbett is offline Find More Posts by Tom Corbett
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:09 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Corbett View Post
I used to have the problem of servos not centering, buzzing and burning out. On my futaba, I found that if you lower the sensitivity of the signal put out by the transmitter the problem goes away and it doesn't affect control in any way.
I've never heard of doing such an adjustment. Is it the rf power out if the Tx , or something on the Rx that is adjustable .. Do u have a Futaba Radio setup? I have an Assan and it doesn't support it .. But as Tug said, generally it's something mechanically binding that causes servo buzz
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:27 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
866 Posts
Quote:
I have never heard such utter nonesense
ToniGe23 is online now Find More Posts by ToniGe23
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:51 PM
Joined Mar 2012
237 Posts
To be clearer--on my Futaba (a 3VCS) there is a mode/modulation selection menu item where the user is given a choice between HRS, PPM, and PCM (this is reflected on page 89 of the manual). Even if you are using the system on 2.4gz, if you change/dial down the modulation selection from HRS (high resolution) or PCM to PPM, jittery and buzzing servos seem to go away. This is particularly true if you are using older, analog servos. Check the manuals for a variety of radios and other threads on the r/c forums site and I think you will find further confirmation of this "utter nonesense"
Tom Corbett is offline Find More Posts by Tom Corbett
Last edited by Tom Corbett; Nov 12, 2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:20 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Check the manuals for a variety of radios and other threads on the r/c forums site and I think you will find further confirmation of this "utter nonesense"

waboats is offline Find More Posts by waboats
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:49 PM
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
913 Posts
Tom, the 3VCS has several features that other Radios do not have. The mode/modulation is one, the knob adjustment for the third channel is another feature. Its an expensive radio, but worth it. I really like mine. FYI, I just got a new Hitec waterproof servo for the rudder on my Pikanto and it works well. Ryan
Rssailor is offline Find More Posts by Rssailor
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:09 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rssailor View Post
Tom, the 3VCS has several features that other Radios do not have. The mode/modulation is one, the knob adjustment for the third channel is another feature. Its an expensive radio, but worth it. I really like mine. FYI, I just got a new Hitec waterproof servo for the rudder on my Pikanto and it works well. Ryan
What model Hitech servo ? Specs ?
gpzy is online now Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:46 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzy View Post
What model Hitech servo ? Specs ?
Grzy

I have been trying to get some of these to do some testing.. Especially the Mini version..

http://www.hitecrcd.com/products/ser...vos/index.html

Click on each for specs..

Cheers

John
waboats is offline Find More Posts by waboats
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:42 AM
OlivierFRA100
Joined Nov 2006
185 Posts
There is another analog one http://www.hitecrcd.com/products/ser...vos/index.html
FRA3700 is offline Find More Posts by FRA3700