Yes 26 49.06%
No 27 50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 08, 2012, 07:49 PM
Joined Nov 2011
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniGe23 View Post
I'm talking about when it's hissing with rain by the lake side and the patch has had to come off for some reason .
Toni this Barbados when it rains we stay home would not want to catch a cold tony/g
BAJAN SAIL 51 is offline Find More Posts by BAJAN SAIL 51
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2012, 02:20 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by isisagoodun View Post
JimS,

I am sure there are a few sailmakers in San Diago. Visit one and ask if they have any offcuts of the sticky dacron that they cut out into sail numbers. Failing this, they may be coerced into selling you a piece, half a yard or so. May cost you ten bucks or so, but it will last a couple of years. This material can be removed and replaced many times without the 'stick' failing.

Regards

Ralph
Jim as Ralph said just stick your head into a sail maker and ask them if you can go through their sticky back bin thats what I do, might coat me $10 but they never say no
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old Nov 09, 2012, 05:17 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,004 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123 View Post
Say Tug,
where can I get some hull access cover patch material that will work well on an IOM?. the stuff I have now is stick-on and it gets stuck on so well that removing it is a bit of a pain.. perhaps I'm using the wrong stuff, or not cutting it out correctly.. and I've never applied it with soapy water either.. JimS
Dacron sticky back or VYNL used in the sign making buisness work just fine the latter is my preference as it gets tight for a perfect finish,removal of either fabrick should be done with a Q tip and lacquer thinner TO SOFTEN THE GLUE AS YOU LIFT IT UP otherwise it is possible to rip the paint up.
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Nov 09, 2012, 05:30 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tug View Post
TO SOFTEN THE GLUE AS YOU LIFT IT UP otherwise it is possible to rip the paint up.
Not on my boats I get them done by a car painter in 2 pak, nice and strong
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:49 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Mike / Tug,
I'll check them both out. Thanks.
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:21 AM
Germany
Joined Mar 2009
513 Posts
Quote:
removal of either fabrick should be done with a Q tip and lacquer thinner TO SOFTEN THE GLUE AS YOU LIFT IT UP otherwise it is possible to rip the paint up.
After appling the first patch, don't take it off just cut the hatch open and leave boarder around the outter edges hatch stuck to the deck, then apply new patch over the top, then you will have no problems possibly peeling paint off.
KoneWone is offline Find More Posts by KoneWone
Old Nov 09, 2012, 10:23 AM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoneWone View Post
After appling the first patch, don't take it off just cut the hatch open and leave boarder around the outter edges hatch stuck to the deck, then apply new patch over the top, then you will have no problems possibly peeling paint off.
Great idea !
gpzy is online now Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Nov 09, 2012, 12:53 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Dacron sticky back or VYNL used in the sign making buisness work just fine the latter is my preference as it gets tight for a perfect finish,removal of either fabrick should be done with a Q tip and lacquer thinner TO SOFTEN THE GLUE AS YOU LIFT IT UP otherwise it is possible to rip the paint up.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00
this may not work but the colors look cool.. will advise..
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Old Nov 09, 2012, 02:48 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123 View Post
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00
this may not work but the colors look cool.. will advise..
Don't waste your money those type of films get brittle and tear very easily my club mate insists on using a material like that this year at the RM Nationals at Fleetwood his boat sank because after an impact the film tore open.

This is what you need.
http://www.bgsailsanddesignstore.big...patch-material
ToniGe23 is online now Find More Posts by ToniGe23
Old Nov 09, 2012, 02:51 PM
Joined Mar 2007
37 Posts
Patches made from signmakeres vinyl are OK. But to be bulletproof ask for some offcut laminated stuff! Absolutely low zero proof! Used this myself for years and its free!
Airplay is offline Find More Posts by Airplay
Old Nov 09, 2012, 06:44 PM
Broughty Ferry, Dundee, Scotland
Joined Feb 2006
127 Posts
I can back up ToniG's story with one from many years ago, when at an IOM event, I witnessed the demise of one boat which had been in a tangle in 'C' rig conditions and the other boats main boom end sliced the film patch and down she went in less than a minute. The funny thing was that the casualty was recovered more than six months later when the reservoir was drained for maintenance, but not knowing who it belonged to, the water board crew left it sitting on a bench in their workshop for a further six months before the owner claimed it. I am led to believe that one of the servos still worked. The insurance company had paid out on a new replacement, an Italico, which more recently changed hands and was sailing at this years UK Nationals.

Ralph
isisagoodun is offline Find More Posts by isisagoodun
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:54 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,004 Posts
I am not about to get into a debate over deck patches so to each thier own,i have seen 2 Pack paint come up on a well known builders boat while any fabrick applied wet will stick but needs a little time to dry first using your finger to squeege out the water from the contact area helps alot.Best bet is to dry it first with paper towel before removal or it goes gloop.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:44 AM
Canada, BC, Campbell River
Joined Oct 2012
51 Posts
Quote:
should be done with a Q tip and lacquer thinner TO SOFTEN THE GLUE AS YOU LIFT IT UP otherwise it is possible to rip the paint up.
Go really careful doing this. Laquer thinner will lift a lot of paints. I would try a hair dryer first.
Don
Don Case is offline Find More Posts by Don Case
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:27 AM
Portland Intl, Oregon, United States
Joined Aug 2004
128 Posts
Paint Protection Film (PPF)

I have heard of some that have first put a layer of "paint protection film" down around the area that the deck patch sticks too. Then when the deck patch is
removed it is removed from the film that stays in place instead of pulling at the
paint. I am thinking of trying this method BUT started thinking, the film is a pretty
slick/smooth surface, does the patch material (sail insignia material from a sail-
maker) come off harder from the PPF?? If anyone has used this system can
you advise pro's/con's ?

Chris B.
old dodger is offline Find More Posts by old dodger
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:44 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,004 Posts
Lacquer thinners gets on fine with 2 pac paint i actually clean off the old glue before reapplying,if the boat was painted on the cheap with a lesser quality paint that would be another story.