Yes 26 49.06%
No 27 50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:39 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
I hate wasting a great resource.

Ok so I work 5 minutes from this pond.. and often drive over here for lunch when the wind's light.. but hate seeing it totally vacant.

So my question is what do you do when you go out and no one's around to sail against.. i find it awfully boring..

If you live here in San Diego and want to sail over lunch on days other than our two big sailing days on Wed and Saturday.. PM Me and I'll gladly meet up on occasion to practice..
Regards,
JimS
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2012, 06:02 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
A123 Battery

I got a couple of these 6.6 vdc Nano Phosphate Multi Cell 1100mah batterys from Radical RC for $31. Here is what they look like in the 2 cell Offset pack. . I believe we discussed why they should be safer, and support 30C discharge, 5C re-charging rates earlier.. I hope they last as well as the LiPos do.. they are about 3.1 oz/ 87.5 grams each
Last edited by jims123; Oct 26, 2012 at 07:07 PM. Reason: off a decimalpoint
Old Oct 26, 2012, 06:36 PM
Broughty Ferry, Dundee, Scotland
Joined Feb 2006
125 Posts
Are you sure your quote of 875gm is correct? sounds far too heavy for use on an IOM. After taking in the 2500gm for the keel, thenthis battery will consume half of the required weight for ALL the rest!!

Ralph
isisagoodun is offline Find More Posts by isisagoodun
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:05 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by isisagoodun View Post
Are you sure your quote of 875gm is correct? sounds far too heavy for use on an IOM. After taking in the 2500gm for the keel, thenthis battery will consume half of the required weight for ALL the rest!!

Ralph
Ralph.
Thanks.. I was off a decimal point and used google to convert 31oz to grams .. it's really 3.1oz or 87.8 grams,, Sorry for the confusion.. yes they are likely a little bit heavier than a LiPo of the same capacity.. JimS
Old Oct 27, 2012, 03:04 AM
Flying without a licence
United Kingdom, Wales, Newton
Joined Dec 2010
481 Posts
Kicker length

How long is your A Rig kicker??..........At 190mm (7.5") is mine too long!
This measurement is from the gooseneck to boom attachment point.
What do you reckon is the ideal angle for the hypotenuse?
FWAL is offline Find More Posts by FWAL
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Add an X to VTX
Old Oct 27, 2012, 04:09 AM
Germany
Joined Mar 2009
509 Posts
My A rig is 115 mm

Rule of thumb I use is always 1/3 of the boom length, longer and need more adjustment on the vang, shorter and get into micro adjustment for the same angle.
KoneWone is offline Find More Posts by KoneWone
Old Oct 27, 2012, 04:15 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,079 Posts
Depends on the depth of the cockpit and the height of the gooseneck off the deck, if you have a longer vang it may foul on the tunnel when out fully.
I run mine at 130 and this just clears.
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:22 PM
Canada, BC, Campbell River
Joined Oct 2012
47 Posts
What about boom flex? The shorter the vang, the more the boom can bend and the more the sail can twist off. This may or may not be desired. I would think that with a boom like the Sails Etc rectangular boom this would not be an issue, but if you are using arrow shafts it may be something to consider. I make my vangs as long as the sheeting radius will allow. Am I wrong?
Don
Don Case is offline Find More Posts by Don Case
Old Oct 28, 2012, 01:00 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
777 Posts
arrow shafts are normaly used for the 'A' rig jib as there light but maybe too thin to use for a main boom
ToniGe23 is online now Find More Posts by ToniGe23
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:31 PM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
1,772 Posts
Several skippers use the 11.1mm round section.Not as bendy as arrow shaft.
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:05 AM
United States, MI, Bloomfield Hills
Joined Feb 2010
417 Posts
From a purely mechanical stand point 45 degrees is perfect. If the point on the boom is longer all that is happening is that the boom is being pulled forward, as well as down, the further back on the boom it is attached.
TedFlack is online now Find More Posts by TedFlack
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:22 AM
Flying without a licence
United Kingdom, Wales, Newton
Joined Dec 2010
481 Posts
My newest design is taking shape. It will be called '7 Bor' in memory of my brother who past away recently. Bor spelt backwards is his name Rob but the actual Severn Bore is one of Britain's few truly spectacular natural phenomena. It is a large surge wave that can be seen in the estuary of the River Severn, where the tidal range is the 2nd highest in the world, being as much as 50 feet (approx. 15.4m)
So that's the sentimental bit over with but why the new design? Well, I really enjoy designing and building both IOM's and Gliders. However, my last IOM design,VMG has proven to be very competitive and successful at my local Club against Triple Crowns, Lintels and Pikanto's, I'm confident that significant improvements can be made.
Therefore, in essence 7 Bor has been designed to be slightly narrower than VMG with less rocker a fuller bow and flatter transom. Why the changes? I race at a very sheltered lake but the wind is often gusty. The narrowness should help reduce wetted hull area downwind. Less rocker curve should produce improved longitudinal trim downwind. A fuller bow, well that's self explanatory and a flatter transom as I hope this will produce a good platform from which the rig to work off.
A build log is here;
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=340972
Feel free to add any comments regarding the design!
FWAL is offline Find More Posts by FWAL
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Add an X to VTX
Old Nov 01, 2012, 10:09 AM
David Cook Victoria, BC Canada
Joined Oct 2012
193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123 View Post
Ok so I work 5 minutes from this pond.. and often drive over here for lunch when the wind's light.. but hate seeing it totally vacant.

So my question is what do you do when you go out and no one's around to sail against.. i find it awfully boring..

If you live here in San Diego and want to sail over lunch on days other than our two big sailing days on Wed and Saturday.. PM Me and I'll gladly meet up on occasion to practice..
Regards,
JimS
Hi Jim,

I don't sail alone but it's a great time to practice boat handling e.g. speed out of tacks and gybes, predicting wind shifts e.g. when the puff hits your boat and is it a lift or a knock, getting out of being in irons (head to wind), deweeding (learning to sail backwards to take weeds off), rig tuning and sail trim for helm balance (to get the boat to sail on its own without rudder for longer periods). If you make and take a throw in mark you could practice mark roundings e.g. wide entry tight exit.

Cheers

David
PorkyPig is offline Find More Posts by PorkyPig
Old Nov 01, 2012, 04:11 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkyPig View Post
Hi Jim,

I don't sail alone but it's a great time to practice boat handling e.g. speed out of tacks and gybes, predicting wind shifts e.g. when the puff hits your boat and is it a lift or a knock, getting out of being in irons (head to wind), deweeding (learning to sail backwards to take weeds off), rig tuning and sail trim for helm balance (to get the boat to sail on its own without rudder for longer periods). If you make and take a throw in mark you could practice mark roundings e.g. wide entry tight exit.

Cheers

David
David
Your right .. Aside from de-weeding.. I've done many of these things and yet do find it a lot more fun with at least one other identical type of boat out there to challenge your skills.. I'm gonna work up a list of semi-addicted guys I can call and see if we can pre-arrange some skill set practice
Old Nov 04, 2012, 02:39 AM
Joined May 2012
72 Posts
FWAL,

You mention that you are making the transom flatter. If you are referring to rocker Brad Gibson made some interesting comments on, if I remember correctly his Ska design. There is an interesting story in seattleradiosailing.org He had plenty of rocker forward to keep the bow up and flat aft sections to assist downwind speed. Apparently it didn't work. Over several months and increasing weight (micro-ballons) he moved the rocker back to the middle of the boat and is now happy with the performance gains.

You might like to check it out. Interesting stuff when you're at the design stage. There is also an interesting article on chines at the same site.

Peace to all
Baz.
basildog is offline Find More Posts by basildog