Yes 26 49.06%
No 27 50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 23, 2012, 03:05 PM
NORTHLAND NEW ZEALAND
New Zealand, Northland, Totara North
Joined Feb 2012
592 Posts
I also have Blackmagik sails. I recoment geting both jib and main as the sails have been tuned to work together.
D design is offline Find More Posts by D design
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:27 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzy View Post
Do they sail IOMs down in San Diego? We sail them up in the L.A. area once a month. You may find someone local. My IOM has Brad Gibson sails and I have a set of Black Magic sails. Have no idea about the fit, great question because I am ready for a new set myself.
gpzy and D
I'm going to assume a std IOM MAST and booms for No 1 sails will fit.. but I will have my boat measured ( I hope the 18th and will see if they are standard size soon)

Yes there were about 4 to 8 IOM's racing typically in the San Diego Argonauts every month till last month where we had to cancel since only two showed up for the Monthly Points Race. (min 3 boats to race reqd. here) . so i figured now is the time for me to jump in.. I will look into both vendors and plan to get both sails Thanks. JimS
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:45 PM
New Zealand, Northland, Kerikeri
Joined May 2011
22 Posts
I would recommend that you check out PowerSails ( as used by Ian Vickers), I've also used BlackMagik but prefer the shape of Power sails.
ggrrr is online now Find More Posts by ggrrr
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:51 PM
United States, MI, Bloomfield Hills
Joined Feb 2010
579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123 View Post
gpzy and D
I'm going to assume a std IOM MAST and booms for No 1 sails will fit.. but I will have my boat measured ( I hope the 18th and will see if they are standard size soon)
Yes all the sails are the same dimensions, the sail rules are very strict.

I use Brad Gibson sails.

And for sure get both main and jib.

Ted
TedFlack is offline Find More Posts by TedFlack
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:32 PM
NORTHLAND NEW ZEALAND
New Zealand, Northland, Totara North
Joined Feb 2012
592 Posts
I asked a question earlier in the thread asking whats better, blackmagik or powersails. almost everybody has powersails at my club. Ian Vicker sheeps?
D design is offline Find More Posts by D design
Old Oct 24, 2012, 01:34 PM
Joined Feb 2010
579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D design View Post
. Ian Vicker sheeps?
Why not, he goes fast doesn't he? Could be his personal skills have something to do with that though.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 01:51 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Post 3043

Hi Ted,
could you take a stab at answering Post 3043? I just ordered one .. but will try to change the weight if required.. Thank you JimS

BTW I sent an inquiry to Brad Gibson and he got right back to me but it would be a long wait in line .. I need the sails sooner so will keep looking.
jimS
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:24 PM
Joined Feb 2010
579 Posts
Jim

I think mine are 20 grams, you can keep it close to the boom of it is to heavy or extend it forward if it is too light. By rule you can't go forward of the bow though.

I can't get at mine to weigh them mine right now.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:46 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedFlack View Post
Jim

I think mine are 20 grams, you can keep it close to the boom of it is to heavy or extend it forward if it is too light. By rule you can't go forward of the bow though.

I can't get at mine to weigh them mine right now.
That jives with what i heard at the pond today, he said you could use any of the typical weights. I think I picked 20 or 25 grams in my order.. Please don't go to any trouble Ted.. and Thank you again for all the tips. JimS
Old Oct 24, 2012, 06:45 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,297 Posts
Jim would you be interested in a local sail maker? There are a couple in the L.A. area. If you drive up to Hansen Dam when the local club sails you can check them out in person.
gpzy is offline Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Oct 24, 2012, 06:59 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Jim would you be interested in a local sail maker? There are a couple in the L.A. area. If you drive up to Hansen Dam when the local club sails you can check them out in person.
I might be ..it just happens I'll be in Ontario Sat eve and San Bernadino Sunday flyin RC so perhaps could swing by... what day do you guys sail? .. is there a parking fee just to to come in and chat?.. I was just speaking with Jess Atkinson .. He makes great ODOM sails..too but at this point I'm still lookin.. Thanks.. JimS
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:23 PM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,109 Posts
Quote:
I was just speaking with Jess Atkinson .. He makes great ODOM sails..too but at this point I'm still lookin.. Thanks.. JimS
Get him to make some IOM sails the sizes are on the net he just needs to cut them to his style.
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:24 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,297 Posts
Quote:
I might be ..it just happens I'll be in Ontario Sat eve and San Bernadino Sunday flyin RC so perhaps could swing by... what day do you guys sail? .. is there a parking fee just to to come in and chat?.. I was just speaking with Jess Atkinson .. He makes great ODOM sails..too but at this point I'm still lookin.. Thanks.. JimS
Sailing at Hansen Dam on Sundays. Second Sunday of the month is IOMs and ODOMs, last Sunday of the month is US1M and Rg65/MicroMagic. Sailing starts with boats on the water about 11. Parking is free !
gpzy is offline Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:29 PM
Portland Intl, Oregon, United States
Joined Aug 2004
129 Posts
I have aprox 12 sets of IOM sails from Vector sails. I like the shape and quality. Most importantly for me is they are made in the USA, and I have always rcvd them in UNDER 2weeks.

Chris B
old dodger is offline Find More Posts by old dodger
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:14 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Sailing at Hansen Dam on Sundays. Second Sunday of the month is IOMs and ODOMs, last Sunday of the month is US1M and Rg65/MicroMagic. Sailing starts with boats on the water about 11. Parking is free !
Mike, gypz, old dodger
thank you for the advice and tips.. I just heard back from Gerry Power and have decided in this case to go with his 1 week build and a second week delivery ..
Thanks again,
JimS