Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 22, 2012, 09:06 AM
USA, LA, Mandeville
Joined Feb 2005
884 Posts
Reposted from the IOM Facebook page:

IOM sailing at the Oracle Pier 80 Compound

Hi guys,
What away to end two days of great racing! Oracle’s second half of Super September weekend would be hard to beat. Twenty three boats, some of the best sailors on the West Coast, top location, and “B” rig sailing.

Sunday you couldn’t have asked for better weather. A high of 68˚F (20˚C), partly cloudy sky and wind from the west blowing straight down the course 18 mph (15.6 knots), increasing later in the day to 24 mph (20.8 knots) with sustained gusts to 30 mph (26 knots). This made some exciting downwind runs in the top of “B” rig.

The day started with a brief practice while the course was being set by the tireless energizer bunny, RD Fred Rocha. With most boats in “B” rig, a few brave souls went with the “A”. The wind rapidly increased during the first heat. Tony Gonsalves sailing his 51 Chienz continued his winning ways from the previous day’s regatta at Foster City scoring a bullet closely followed by Craig Macky 29, Bob Dunlap 37, and Ian Vickers 71.

Vickers and his V-8 won the second heat and never looked back. With a combination of a fast boat and sailing extremely well, Ian won the 12 heat regatta (two throw outs, a second and a fourth) with an amazing 11 points and nine first place finishes. Second place belonged to Craig Mackey and his Britpop with 23 points. Oracle’s Matty Mason had his number 38 Tempest II in the groove all day finishing third with 37 points. Dennis Rogers’ efforts to repair his leaking mast trunk were successful, finishing in forth with 44 points. Dennis was most happy not having to drain the water every heat. Making the top five was the 37 Lintel with 57 points.

Tony’s 51 Chienz suffered a rudder servo problem after the second heat. After replacing the servo a deck patch started leaking, drowning the electronics and scoring a DNF and two DNSs in the last three heats, placing him in seventh for the regatta. Nine other IOMs were unable to complete the event due to a host of problems.

A hosted BBQ and refreshments followed, with awards — bottles of New Zealand’s Man of War wine, given to the top ten finishers. The highlight of the day came after the awards when Matty Mason treated everyone to a guided tour of Oracle’s facility. It was awesome squared!

A huge thank you goes to Matty and Oracle Team USA for allowing us to sail at their compound and special thanks to Grill Master Lloyd Gilmore for making sure no one walked away hungry. Thanks to Jeff Depew for photographing the regatta, nice work Jeff!

Click this link to view the photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/gonesai...Francisco9912#

Thanks everyone for coming. Good sailing, good food, good camaraderie and a great tour — what more could one ask?

SALUTE!
Bob Dunlap
hew565 is offline Find More Posts by hew565
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:08 PM
Rick Lange
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Joined Apr 2010
56 Posts
Seeking empty hull

I'm looking for an empty IOM hull, possibly cracked. Just no big holes. Rudder, keel and rig are not necessary.

Rick
Blue Heron is offline Find More Posts by Blue Heron
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:15 AM
Malaysia, Melaka, Merlimau
Joined Nov 2010
22 Posts
Hi David,
I have 1 IOM to sell ,very cheap just put a radio about Ringgit Malaysia 2500.000
model Triple Crown ,Winch RMG ,Fin&rudder made by Dave Creed and sail's made from House of Martin.I live in Malacca, not far from you.Call me if you interested 012-2760842
basha is offline Find More Posts by basha
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:30 PM
Yosef Sailor
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jul 2011
506 Posts
Basha,

Sent you a private message last night.

Thanks for the heads up on your boat.

DW

Quote:
Originally Posted by basha View Post
Hi David,
I have 1 IOM to sell ,very cheap just put a radio about Ringgit Malaysia 2500.000
model Triple Crown ,Winch RMG ,Fin&rudder made by Dave Creed and sail's made from House of Martin.I live in Malacca, not far from you.Call me if you interested 012-2760842
dwatson is offline Find More Posts by dwatson
Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:18 AM
OlivierFRA100
Joined Nov 2006
149 Posts
Interesting analysis of RRS 2013-2016 appendix E changes on Lester Gilbert's website.
http://www.onemetre.net/

Especially combination of hailing change (digit) and remove of 0 on single digit sail numbers...
FRA3700 is offline Find More Posts by FRA3700
Old Sep 27, 2012, 06:09 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
1,777 Posts
Hailing will take getting used to as we are so mentally trained to do it the old fasioned way most will probably forget to do it in the new format.I've now completed about 3 big events outside of the protest arena and it's a wonderful feeling and faster too.Cheers
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:18 PM
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
831 Posts
I just got my new rudder from Radio Sailing Australia? It is an awsome carbon work of art. Hope combined the with the new rudder linkage and new rudder servo my Pikanto will sail way better. Ryan
Rssailor is offline Find More Posts by Rssailor
Last edited by Rssailor; Sep 28, 2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 02:28 AM
NORTHLAND NEW ZEALAND
New Zealand, Northland, Totara North
Joined Feb 2012
480 Posts
joining the deck and hull of the new spitfire tonight! pictures on sunday.
D design is offline Find More Posts by D design
Old Sep 28, 2012, 04:11 AM
Flying without a licence
United Kingdom, Wales, Newton
Joined Dec 2010
481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D design View Post
joining the deck and hull of the new spitfire tonight! pictures on sunday.
Talking of new boats and designs:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=340972

FWAL is online now Find More Posts by FWAL
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Add an X to VTX
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:35 AM
NORTHLAND NEW ZEALAND
Joined Feb 2012
480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FWAL View Post
Talking of new boats and designs:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=340972

great stuff! got the spitfire all put together, pictures coming tomorrow.

p.s. your gliders look pretty choice!
Old Sep 30, 2012, 04:28 AM
NORTHLAND NEW ZEALAND
Joined Feb 2012
480 Posts
Spitfire launched

Spitfire launched!

after a week of plain hard work, the spitfires in the water! not quite finished but boat was completly dry after a full days sailing. sorry i didnt manage to get video of the racing, I was having to much fun
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:08 PM
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
831 Posts
Holy crap Sailsetc website is gone. Did Graham close down his business?
Rssailor is offline Find More Posts by Rssailor
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:15 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rssailor View Post
Holy crap Sailsetc website is gone. Did Graham close down his business?
No, it's just fine my end!
ToniGe23 is offline Find More Posts by ToniGe23
Old Oct 01, 2012, 06:31 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
1,777 Posts
Looks like Tony Gonsalves won USA Region 5 in Dallas Tx,i think he has won all so far with his new boat with the exception of one where he had boat problems.Well done Tony.
P.S Is the lintel for sale now cheap we want to know lol.
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Oct 01, 2012, 06:44 AM
NORTHLAND NEW ZEALAND
Joined Feb 2012
480 Posts
quick video of on the dock at kerikeri nz

RC IOM sailing kerikeri club day 30/9/2012 (1 min 43 sec)