Well done Luca !!!!!
KoneWone is offline Find More Posts by KoneWone
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2012, 03:31 PM
NORTHLAND NEW ZEALAND
New Zealand, Northland, Totara North
Joined Feb 2012
526 Posts
Make a longer, narrower rudder. Your rudder is loosing wetted area downwind due to nose diving. Any 3.5kg cm servo is easily enough power for a iom rudder. Many people make the mistake of putting high power servos in their boats and just end up using more battery capacity. If you have one of those rudders that are wide at the top and very nrreow at the bottom, throw it away,' they are useless for downwind.
D design is offline Find More Posts by D design
Old Sep 09, 2012, 04:46 PM
OlivierFRA100
Joined Nov 2006
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D design View Post
Make a longer, narrower rudder. Your rudder is loosing wetted area downwind due to nose diving. Any 3.5kg cm servo is easily enough power for a iom rudder. Many people make the mistake of putting high power servos in their boats and just end up using more battery capacity. If you have one of those rudders that are wide at the top and very nrreow at the bottom, throw it away,' they are useless for downwind.
Wouah, how can you write that Pikanto has a non effective rudder downwind... Pikanto won for example WC 2009 (Barbados) and EC 2010, with very effective rudders and very good skippers. And for your knowledge its rudder is deeper than Britpop's one.

Olivier : France national champion 2010 with a Pikanto, 2012 with a (Brazilian) Britpop.
FRA3700 is offline Find More Posts by FRA3700
Last edited by FRA3700; Sep 10, 2012 at 02:18 AM.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 04:56 PM
Grant L
Auckland NZ
Joined Nov 2010
37 Posts
Team NZ

Check this out AMAZING More on Chris Cameron Photography.
PB88 is offline Find More Posts by PB88
Last edited by PB88; Sep 09, 2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 05:27 PM
NORTHLAND NEW ZEALAND
Joined Feb 2012
526 Posts
How much rudder throw do you have? Does it have a sharp lower leading corner? When a gust comes behind me, i sheet in a little untill im in the middle of the gust, stops nosediving . Saild my iom yesterday in like 30 kts and the mast fell down looked spectacular. It happend to be the rigging screws hooks at the bottom bent and poped off the deck fitting . Nothing broken.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 05:29 PM
NORTHLAND NEW ZEALAND
Joined Feb 2012
526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB88 View Post
Check this out AMAZING More on Chris Cameron Photography.
They say it took weeks to build the foils to make them strong enough! Amazing stuff huh? Chris cameron my fav marine photographer
Old Sep 09, 2012, 10:27 PM
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
862 Posts
Well my Pikanto does not have a bantock rudder on it. The rudder is a barn door, deep barn door.
I ordered another rudder from Radio sailing AUS. Also going to change the rudder linkage to the SailsETC linkage that should be stiffer than existing and going to order a waterproof digital rudder servo. Hope these changes improve the steering and make the boat more reliable. Ryan
Rssailor is offline Find More Posts by Rssailor
Old Sep 10, 2012, 06:26 AM
Toulouse
Joined Jan 2007
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D design View Post
I thought any servo would do after years using Futaba 3003 with no problems on my TS3 and Wotsit.
When I changed to an Isis the servos expired after a few hours of high winds. The difference is probably due to the less balanced rudder of the Isis. Since changing to a 7kg-cm Multiplex no more trouble.
expat flyer is offline Find More Posts by expat flyer
Old Sep 10, 2012, 07:05 AM
Broughty Ferry, Dundee, Scotland
Joined Feb 2006
125 Posts
I've been sailing an ISIS for nine years now and have been using the original Futaba 9202 servo all that time. I was so pleased with its performance that I have also installed the 9202 in all the IOM's that I have built over the years. It is designated as a servo for helicopter use and is dustproof and more importantly water and fuel resistant. I would recommend it to everyone.

Ralph
isisagoodun is offline Find More Posts by isisagoodun
Old Sep 10, 2012, 07:22 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,093 Posts
I have Psycho hull and run a $2.95 4.3kg HK servo no problems, I have used these for years and I swear by them cheap and nasty but very reliable, don't know how long they will last as I keep selling the boats at about 9 months.
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old Sep 10, 2012, 07:36 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
1,875 Posts
there was apparently racing this past weekend in San Fransisco at the americas cup compound anybody know anything
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:00 AM
Joined Sep 2012
4 Posts
Hi George (or call you Giorgo),

I am glad to see another Greek fellow being interested in IOM boats. I do not own one, i have only a Micro Magic boat. I am a kind of scared from the prices of the IOM boats and i am thinking if i should enter the field or stay with the MM boats or buy an RC laser where the competition field is even. What do you think about it?

Xeretismous from Munich, Germany,

Grigoris Pazionis
grigoris is offline Find More Posts by grigoris
Last edited by grigoris; Sep 11, 2012 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Changed my mind
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:48 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
1,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tug View Post
there was apparently racing this past weekend in San Fransisco at the americas cup compound anybody know anything
Apparently this was a test run for the location which America hopes to host 2015,but i have heard nothing about the quality of the venue or what happen'd but i do know that they have raced with about 20 boats in attendance.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:23 AM
OlivierFRA100
Joined Nov 2006
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tug View Post
Apparently this was a test run for the location which America hopes to host 2015,but i have heard nothing about the quality of the venue or what happen'd but i do know that they have raced with about 20 boats in attendance.
Hi Peter : Results here http://www.iomusa.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=130
A BAR guy won ! ;-)
FRA3700 is offline Find More Posts by FRA3700
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:05 PM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
1,875 Posts
Yup Tony told me he was doing well,but he had rudder servo probs and then did'nt put the patch back on properly leading to more probs but not a sinking,others also had probs so i am suprized he won as you can see Dennis and Craig are down in the fleet.I was wondering what the venue was like SF can blow.