Old Aug 29, 2012, 02:33 AM
NORTHLAND NEW ZEALAND
New Zealand, Northland, Totara North
Joined Feb 2012
587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniGe23 View Post
I could be wrong but you have no jackstay on there only a backstay
I think I miss understood what a jackstay is. I read in the dictionary that a jackstay is a stay that runs horizontally for things to be attached to. am I wrong?
D design is offline Find More Posts by D design
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2012, 02:44 AM
NORTHLAND NEW ZEALAND
Joined Feb 2012
587 Posts
about the chainplate position, the chainplates are not extruding form the maximum point of beam.

D.2.3.c fittings shall not project outboard of the hull shell or deck
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:02 AM
USA-Michigan
Joined Feb 2008
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D design View Post
I think I miss understood what a jackstay is. I read in the dictionary that a jackstay is a stay that runs horizontally for things to be attached to. am I wrong?
The jackstay these guys are talking about is vertical. It is a wire inside the luff of the mainsail going from the top of mast down to below he mainsail luff and usually has some method of adjusting the tension.
Ted Flack is offline Find More Posts by Ted Flack
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:09 AM
Canada, BC, Lake Cowichan
Joined Jul 2011
508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D design View Post
about the chainplate position, the chainplates are not extruding form the maximum point of beam.

D.2.3.c fittings shall not project outboard of the hull shell or deck
Hi D Design,

I think that the boat above the chine is still 'topsides' and not deck.

Take a look at the ERS, section D.

D.1.2 Sheerline
The line formed by the intersection of the top of the deck and the outside of the hull shell, each extended as necessary.

As the fitting is 'outside' the shell, on the topsides, I think it is not legal.

My sense is that it has nothing to do with the max beam.

Just my opinion.

John
hiljoball is offline Find More Posts by hiljoball
Old Aug 29, 2012, 12:41 PM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesnik View Post
Allen,

Do you have a picture?

: )
I'll get one for you camera is at the lake so this weekend.Just drill two tiny holes through the mast plug alongside the back stay crane fore and aft,use 15lb spectra which is like horse hair and tie it up tite i also use this for loops you dont need big clumsy string all over the mast,this way it's right up at the top and only the mainsail is on the hook so it can turn freely.I also prefer the jackstay to stay in one place at the back of the mast and allow the sail to rotate on it rather than both rotating on the hook,the jackstay is at the back of the mast the entire way up the mast so why would you want it to suddenly be rotating at the top.
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Aug 29, 2012, 06:23 PM
NORTHLAND NEW ZEALAND
Joined Feb 2012
587 Posts
sheerline

But what if my boat was cylindrical?
Old Aug 30, 2012, 02:36 AM
Flying without a licence
United Kingdom, Wales, The Mumbles
Joined Dec 2010
578 Posts
Hi Nathaniel
I think the design looks great and hope it goes as fast as it looks! Congratulations. With regard to the shroud terminations I would think they are within the Class rules by the fact that the deck eyes do not protrude beyond the max width (beam).
I have recently had my own designed VMG measured and the location of the shroud terminations in the sides of the hull was deliberated by senior Class Officials and deemed to be within the rules.
As far as I can remember the ERS don't use or explain the term 'outboard'. However, this term has been adopted in the IOM rules so it's proper or intended meaning is questionable as we dont' understand the context in which it is to be used. This problem is further compounded by the recent popularity in tumbleholme designs.
Perhaps there is a case here to have the IOM rules amended to clarify the term and use of the word 'Outboard'.
FWAL is online now Find More Posts by FWAL
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: BG's New RG65
Old Aug 30, 2012, 04:47 AM
NORTHLAND NEW ZEALAND
Joined Feb 2012
587 Posts
Just went sailing today with ts2 and d1. The ts2 leaked about 1 /5 a cup of salt water and i had a lipo battry sitting in the bottom that got wet. Took it home. There was no water inside the battery. I sprayed inside and out and the conectors with crc 5.56 (wd40) and the charger checked the battery and said it was ok. Im just worried about corrosion. Do you think my battry is stuffed? Its not puffed or anything .
Old Aug 30, 2012, 07:04 AM
Love RC Yachts!!!
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2012
163 Posts
I use a jackstay on my IOM. It attaches around the base of the headboard wire, so it doesn't pull down on the headboard, creating friction as it swivels. At its base, the jackstay (70 lbs single strand wire) is tensioned via a bowsie around the gooseneck body.

I like to use wire, not spectra for the jackstay, as when under light tension, the wire doesn't allow the sails pucker out of shape between the luff ties, which are at the seams only.

I usually leave it lightly tensioned, unless at the top of the range, where I tension it, so the sail doesn't slide to leeward, and downwind pushes luff curve into the sail, tightening the leech, stopping the head of the main spilling open...

As for the shroud attachments, as long as they don't project beyond the maximum beam, they can be on outriggers if you wish, like Michael Scharmer's boats.
bigpat is offline Find More Posts by bigpat
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:28 PM
Portland Intl, Oregon, United States
Joined Aug 2004
128 Posts
Jack stay upper fitting

This is what I like to use. Drill 2 small holes down into masthead plug, Bend up
some solid fishing leader, thread it through the eye in the end of jackstay and
push it down into the 2 holes. Experiment with the fitting so it doesnt interfear
with the rotation of the mainsail head wire.

Chris Brundege
old dodger is offline Find More Posts by old dodger
Old Aug 31, 2012, 01:26 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
857 Posts
that's a nice idea how to do it
ToniGe23 is offline Find More Posts by ToniGe23
Old Aug 31, 2012, 11:17 AM
Italy, Abruzzo, Pescara
Joined Jun 2010
63 Posts
hi all

ITALIAN IOM CLASS NATIONAL (2012)

7, 8 and 9 September in the beautiful town of Castiglione del Lago on Lake Trasimeno, will be held in the Italian National IOM Class (1 Meter Class).
Official Web Site: http://iomcentroitalia.altervista.org/2012/

Photos of the previous IOM Class event for Ranking in Castiglione del Lago May 2012 (Link)
Name: securedownload.jpg
Views: 142
Size: 65.0 KB
Description:
max67 is offline Find More Posts by max67
Old Aug 31, 2012, 11:36 AM
United States, CA, Emeryville
Joined Aug 2010
49 Posts
jackstay advise

Thanks to all that replied to my jack stay question.
sullyelvis is offline Find More Posts by sullyelvis
Old Sep 01, 2012, 02:34 AM
Brisbane
Joined Feb 2008
295 Posts
ADAGIO (slow dancin' man)

G'day all;

This is probably as silly a question as any asked, but I do have a thick hide.

I'm now rebuilding building my first IOM; I'm pretty sure it's a TS2 copy (with no guaranteed ancestry, although cheap at $100 painted a lovely bright orange in 2-pack) and lots of second hand bits which hopefully will perform well when the Tygum breeze gets up. It has so many second hand bits, a mate's wife has christened her "HASBEEN", as in most of it has been on something else! She has a wicked sense of himour.

You wouldn't believe it, first sail, I "managed" to not only knot and catch the 80lb superline fishing line sheet to/from the winch, I also "managed " to break the so and so thing! Not bad for a Hitec drum winch, and it didn't do much for a couple of the epoxy bedded bits either....

I really had to have had the lines going the wrong way somehow.

Can anybody PLEASE post a clear illustration showing where and how the lines and the stretch/elastic/o-ring non-sag bit should be tied into the line - on the out to the main or on the return from the....ggrrrr. I'm sure you get it.

Thanks for the info in advance.
ADAGIO is offline Find More Posts by ADAGIO
Old Sep 01, 2012, 03:11 AM
NORTHLAND NEW ZEALAND
Joined Feb 2012
587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADAGIO View Post
G'day all;

This is probably as silly a question as any asked, but I do have a thick hide.

I'm now rebuilding building my first IOM; I'm pretty sure it's a TS2 copy (with no guaranteed ancestry, although cheap at $100 painted a lovely bright orange in 2-pack) and lots of second hand bits which hopefully will perform well when the Tygum breeze gets up. It has so many second hand bits, a mate's wife has christened her "HASBEEN", as in most of it has been on something else! She has a wicked sense of himour.

You wouldn't believe it, first sail, I "managed" to not only knot and catch the 80lb superline fishing line sheet to/from the winch, I also "managed " to break the so and so thing! Not bad for a Hitec drum winch, and it didn't do much for a couple of the epoxy bedded bits either....

I really had to have had the lines going the wrong way somehow.

Can anybody PLEASE post a clear illustration showing where and how the lines and the stretch/elastic/o-ring non-sag bit should be tied into the line - on the out to the main or on the return from the....ggrrrr. I'm sure you get it.

Thanks for the info in advance.
My ts2 is setup using spectra and rubber rings we use in new zealand to chop lambs
tails off!!

Heres some videos of my ts2 setup.
Sorry im bad at phoyography.

Ts2 setup (1 min 8 sec)

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q3yJsYlvaE