Yes 26 49.06%
No 27 50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 07, 2010, 09:34 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
868 Posts
Hi Robert,
Out of interest what do you sail that you can adjust the sails as you describe you would like to do with IOM Class?
ToniGe23 is online now Find More Posts by ToniGe23
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2010, 09:52 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
Waveney OD, Y&BOD, BOD, Wayfarer, 420, 505, Merlin Rocket, Fireball, Dart, Hobie, Enterprise, Wanderer. Beneteau 54, International 14, Dufour 36. Sadler 25, Norfolk Punt, Vega, Banjo, Fireball model, Bavaria 36. I tried it with a 106ft Brigantine but I couldn't co ordinate the multiple fors'ls. Why do you ask?
Robert May is offline Find More Posts by Robert May
Old Jan 07, 2010, 10:06 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert May View Post
Waveney OD, Y&BOD, BOD, Wayfarer, 420, 505, Merlin Rocket, Fireball, Dart, Hobie, Enterprise, Wanderer. Beneteau 54, International 14, Dufour 36. Sadler 25, Norfolk Punt, Vega, Banjo, Fireball model, Bavaria 36. I tried it with a 106ft Brigantine but I couldn't co ordinate the multiple fors'ls. Why do you ask?
then you sail full size and not model yachts
Old Jan 07, 2010, 10:49 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniGe23 View Post
then you sail full size and not model yachts

No I sail both, solo in a Europe by 10, RYA instructor at 16 with special dispensation from the RYA to get a ticket 2 years early. Designed 36R Pepper Pot at age 11 with Stan Pepper, Moulded Eels Foot OD (RC Marblehead) in 1979 Designed, built, moulded an RC Laser OD in 1980 to 36r rules(See below) Built and moulded a very early RC 1 metre design for Stan Pepper in 1981. Built 1 metre RC Laser in 1981. Currently building Scale 1 metre wooden halfdecker with 3 winches for full Genoa sheeting plus upwind/down wind Gaff adjustment for good measure. Next project 1 metre Volvo racer , again loose foot genoa. clew outhaul adjustment, kicker tensioning.

If you are curious whether this level of sail control is possible. I have raced a full Olympic triangle course with no rudder attached and beaten a then GB Olympic team helm (Jim Saltenstall period) sailing with a rudder.

Am I qualified enough to have an opinion about IOM?
Last edited by Robert May; Jan 07, 2010 at 11:02 AM.
Old Jan 07, 2010, 11:45 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
868 Posts
[QUOTE Am I qualified enough to have an opinion about IOM?[/QUOTE]

I don't doubt you are qualified just curious, I know some 'A'Class boats have been fitted with 2 winches but it has not caught on and most of the top skippers went back to single winch working both sails. I think that an IOM 30 metres out on a lake in a pack racing would be near on impossible to see what trim the jib would need while also reading wind shifts and other boats around you.
Old Jan 07, 2010, 12:45 PM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
Quote:
[QUOTE Am I qualified enough to have an opinion about IOM?
I don't doubt you are qualified just curious, I know some 'A'Class boats have been fitted with 2 winches but it has not caught on and most of the top skippers went back to single winch working both sails. I think that an IOM 30 metres out on a lake in a pack racing would be near on impossible to see what trim the jib would need while also reading wind shifts and other boats around you.[/QUOTE]

Sorry Tony I got the impression that I was about to get an IOM fanatical groupy "what do you know" challenge and thought I would head it of at the pass.
Have you ever had trouble spotting and reacting to a passing thermal? you were coming off the tow higher than 30m. Flying Helicopters and fast fix wing I know my eye sight is good for about 1000m.

You wouldn't have ever flown one of your gliders without knowing to the millimeter where your CG was and you will probably have spent several flights fine tuning your CG so your glider would fly virtually on its trims. I am advocating that same level if finesse for model yachts. If I turned up with a Precedent Voltlure to your F3 meeting and it could only be flown using 45 degree elevator throw you wouldn't be too impressed. If I turned up with a perfect F3 ship but it had the CG on the leading edge, again needing huge amounts of elevator you would spot that from a 100 yards. As for controls If I told you you could not fly CAR with your high aspect wings, a basic and fundamental control would be missing from your glider.

Eyesight might be an issue for some but it not a valid reason not to have a trimable Jib. Unless IOM stands for Increasingly older males.
Old Jan 07, 2010, 07:09 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
868 Posts
Hi Robert,
That's very true I have been flying R/C gliders long enough to know at a 1000 feet if a trim is out or the CG 1mm wrong either way!
I would love a day at a lake with you to show me what to look for while I sail my IOM as at yet I'm learning slowly and club members are not too forward in showing me.
Last edited by ToniGe23; Jan 07, 2010 at 07:25 PM.
Old Jan 07, 2010, 07:22 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
868 Posts
I thought as we are looking at hulls I would post a few pictures of my new IOM as I said in an earlier post this is what Brad Gibbson will be sailing for 2010 maybe some of you guys can tell me what you think of the hull shape compared to existing boats.
Old Jan 07, 2010, 10:06 PM
k4s
Joined Aug 2009
391 Posts
Very cool looking,is this the ARRIVAL you mentioned earlier?
Would it be possible to get a shot from directly in front,directly behind and of the bottom?
Sorry to give you a job.
k4s is offline Find More Posts by k4s
Old Jan 07, 2010, 10:15 PM
k4s
Joined Aug 2009
391 Posts
Quote:
Hi Robert,
That's very true I have been flying R/C gliders long enough to know at a 1000 feet if a trim is out or the CG 1mm wrong either way!
I would love a day at a lake with you to show me what to look for while I sail my IOM as at yet I'm learning slowly and club members are not too forward in showing me.
That second bit regarding advice is a shame.
I found when I first got into these boats that advice was not freely given unless I asked for it.Once I did however the amount given all at one time was a bit intimidating.
I learnt very quickly to ask quite specific questions and then filter the advice given by watching the advisors on the water and heeding the leaders comments.

It seems in yachting that advice can be seen as interfering and most are reluctant to share so as not to be seen in this light.Ask the question and the flood gates open.This is the way it is at my local lake anyway.
Old Jan 08, 2010, 03:40 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k4s View Post
Very cool looking,is this the ARRIVAL you mentioned earlier?
Would it be possible to get a shot from directly in front,directly behind and of the bottom?
Sorry to give you a job.
Then both you and I am everyone else capable of doing so will be able to knock up a rip off copy well in time to have it on the water and tuned up for the start of the season.
I hope Tony doesn't show those photos, his relationship with Mr Gibson might not be quite so sweet if he does. Fine if Mr Gibson wants to supply that level of detail but its not really on to publish such photos on a forum. IMO bad form for a new season boat.

The boat looks fantastic a real credit to to you and Brad, personally I don't understand the aggressive rocker and the high foredeck but I am sre there is a reason for it
Last edited by Robert May; Jan 08, 2010 at 04:07 AM.
Old Jan 08, 2010, 04:50 AM
k4s
Joined Aug 2009
391 Posts
Thanks for the compliment Robert.I dont actually have that high a regard for my skills.In fact I wouldn't know where to start.
I just like to get a real idea of the shape of hulls.I find them asthetically pleasing.To my eye some look right and some not so much,but what would I know.
I will never claim to be able to knock up a world beater over a weekend,nor will I ever win everything in site by a leg or more.
A mere mortal am I.....
ps...A quick search of the interweb and I have found the pics I asked for.Maybe not top secret after all.
Old Jan 08, 2010, 05:36 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
Please accept that a lot of what I type is simply intended to generate discussion. If Tony for example now benchmarks his gliding experience with his IOM sailing he can get into the front half of the fleet on a regular basis. All he has to realise is that if he sets about trimming his boat, as he would trim a Glider, noting what it does in different conditions and what he has to do to make the boat behave in those conditions he will achieve his own goals. I suspect if he is turning up with that quality of set up green eye isolation might be the problem. I could quite easily and would be quite willing to have a weekend anywhere in the country blahing on about what I have learnt but that won't help Tony or anyone else. I would rather get involved in discussion like this, even if I am Mr Unpopular, and share what I know. If I can get people to tell me I am wrong and why I am wrong not only do I learn something but so does everyone else.
Old Jan 08, 2010, 05:46 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
868 Posts
Hi,
No there is no credit to me or Brad the Arrivals are built and sold by P&P Yachts http://www.pandpyachts.com/ I only bought this because when I was looking for a secondhand IOM nothing was available and I couldn't wait any longer and somebody put me onto Phil Playle who was selling this boat. Mine is number Nr3 out the mould and Brads is Nr4, I think Phil has built about 12 now and has a 4 month waiting list the quility to detail is very high.
Old Jan 08, 2010, 06:02 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
868 Posts
most of the new boats have got high rockers like the Pikanto,Lintel,09 Widget and Robot because I'm told the wind will run up the rocker into the jib so there trying to get the jib as low as possible that's why the track on these boats are set into the deck, this picture has the Nr2 Sail on.