Yes 26 49.06%
No 27 50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 22, 2012, 04:23 PM
Joined Dec 2009
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB88 View Post
I asked Ian when he first launched the V8 what was it best wind range and he replied it was an all round design but I will never forget the smile on his face as he said the harder it blows the faster it goes and believe me it does just that
It would seem Ian is enjoying what was discovered 18 months ago with the britpop. Nothing groundbreaking here but not unexpected from a world ranked top 10 skipper.
pchicken is offline Find More Posts by pchicken
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2012, 01:43 AM
Germany
Joined Mar 2009
512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pchicken View Post
It would seem Ian is enjoying what was discovered 18 months ago with the britpop.
Care to share the "discovery" or is it a secret ?
KoneWone is offline Find More Posts by KoneWone
Old Jul 23, 2012, 03:51 AM
Grant L
Auckland NZ
Joined Nov 2010
37 Posts
Chines, Something New?

It is a revolving wheel. A Kiwi named John Spencer in the 1950s designed a number of chine keelers and small centreboarders mainly for their ease of building and the use of the cheap plywood for the average Kiwi to build themselves.He later designed a number of IOMs with chines so really whats new.We have just fine tuned the designs with the benefits of Max Surf and other design progams. Funny that John never had a computer but still had world name designs as Infidel and Buccanneer which I think at 72 feet was the largest racing chine maxi in the world at that time and probably still is. Food for thought eh.
PB88 is offline Find More Posts by PB88
Old Jul 23, 2012, 04:26 AM
Joined Dec 2009
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB88 View Post
It is a revolving wheel. A Kiwi named John Spencer in the 1950s designed a number of chine keelers and small centreboarders mainly for their ease of building and the use of the cheap plywood for the average Kiwi to build themselves.He later designed a number of IOMs with chines so really whats new.We have just fine tuned the designs with the benefits of Max Surf and other design progams. Funny that John never had a computer but still had world name designs as Infidel and Buccanneer which I think at 72 feet was the largest racing chine maxi in the world at that time and probably still is. Food for thought eh.
Umm, I don't think chines were mentioned
A massive departure for Ian from his V7 design to look quite a lot like a BP. Not only in hull design, but fin/rig placement, rig geometry and sail setup. He is a smart guy and has read the shift of the game well. Good luck to him
Old Jul 23, 2012, 06:06 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,093 Posts
Quote:
Umm, I don't think chines were mentioned
A massive departure for Ian from his V7 design to look quite a lot like a BP. Not only in hull design, but fin/rig placement, rig geometry and sail setup. He is a smart guy and has read the shift of the game well. Good luck to him
Oh here we go again who started the Chine craze I think Bantock had a design from about 10 years ago and Frank Russells Paperclip plan which you can download for free.

Come on guys no one is copying any one I recently saw the first Lintel here in Western Australia and from the pictures I have seen of the Britpop nothing like it (only seen pictures of the Britpop as they all seem to be going to France or the USA

I had a desgin called a shadow 2 and 1/2 years ago before the Britpop it was by Bill Curtis (you can see the photos way back when I started this forum) did Brad copys Bills design NO oh and John Taylor that posts on here had the Squiggle from 3-4 years ago did David or Brad copy him NO they are all different in their own way. Ops some body forgot to tell the Yanks that they copied car from Germans.

Can we just carry on and stop saying one design has copied another especially when it comes to world class designers.

Right where is the next BP going to turn up?
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old Jul 23, 2012, 06:47 AM
Germany
Joined Mar 2009
512 Posts
Quote:
fin/rig placement, rig geometry and sail setup.
At last ... some-one who knows what he is looking at agree with you 100% on the above, too many people these days being blinded by visual appearances and generating trash about copying designs & chines etc.
KoneWone is offline Find More Posts by KoneWone
Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:46 AM
Joined Dec 2009
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoneWone View Post
At last ... some-one who knows what he is looking at agree with you 100% on the above, too many people these days being blinded by visual appearances and generating trash about copying designs & chines etc.
Kone, we can agree on this .
A read of the Seattle newsletter explains so much about his design change. Solidly beaten on a practice day before the last worlds by a BP and lintel in B rig, the writing was on the wall. He fully took in the full package of why the BP's were so dominant and went away and came up with something that seems to do the job. In doing so he compliments and attributes his thinking to the BP and lintel designers. V8 is by far the most similar in overall package to the BP than the raft of other attempts that have appeared before or since. To say the harder it heals, the faster it goes would mean he is not far off. My comments were to compliment him for reading the game well. I never mentioned chines as we all know they have been around since Noah's time and they are only one part of a full package.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:59 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
1,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Corbett View Post
I am pretty sure the first production BritPop, the "original" blue boat from Robot Yachts, which Brad Gibson used to win the US and English Nationals in 2011, went to someone in the US and not to Barbados....
Correct,but i'm talking about pretty blue not ugly blue,you guys are too easy to stir up lol.
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Jul 23, 2012, 01:04 PM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
1,878 Posts
http://www.iomclass.org/
Looks like boat battery voltage on screen is good to go as of now, excellent decision for the lithium chemistry users.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 01:13 PM
United States, CA, Emeryville
Joined Aug 2010
48 Posts
carnage

what is it?

http://www.sailinganarchy.com/index_page1.php
sullyelvis is offline Find More Posts by sullyelvis
Old Jul 23, 2012, 01:20 PM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
1,878 Posts
It looks like Gerry Brower's Widget USA 42
Old Jul 23, 2012, 03:17 PM
Joined Dec 2007
59 Posts
Peter says: "Looks like boat battery voltage on screen is good to go as of now, excellent decision for the lithium chemistry users."

That is very good news. Since a RMG has a voltage regulator, it reduces power to 5 volts at the receiver. The on screen view on my Tx shows 5 volts for the Rx all the time when the battery is to power. When my battery in the boat gets low, the Tx starts chirping, meaning I have one leg in which to get the boat back before the battery poops out. So there's not a lot of warning there, but it beats having NO warning!! I have been down that road before....
B North is offline Find More Posts by B North
Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:54 PM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
1,878 Posts
Brig what radio are you using?? My HiTec Aurora you can do both if you put a power lead directly from the battery into the SPC port you see the actual battery voltage if you don't you see the regulated 5v so at 7.4v slap a new one in.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:28 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
Low Voltage Lipo Buzzer

And for those that don't have access to all that telemtry gizmo on the TX.

Here is a simple add-on to the Lipo battery to avoid dropping power below failsafe.

As with most LIPO's you drop too low & they are hard to recover or recharge.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/150837285...84.m1497.l2649

This is a simple Alarm that shows each cell & can set Warning Value. Alarm will sound when Cell gets low. JUst plugs into the Balance Plug

Works on LiFe as well.
waboats is offline Find More Posts by waboats
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 24, 2012, 01:52 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
815 Posts
great item and so cheap!
ToniGe23 is offline Find More Posts by ToniGe23