Yes 26 49.06%
No 27 50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 03, 2012, 08:41 AM
United States, MI, Bloomfield Hills
Joined Feb 2010
566 Posts
Flying with Lipo's

I haven't had to fly with my boat in a couple of years. The last time I did the airline's website said to carry-on Lipo batteries, which I did, and the poor guy at the security check about flipped out with these little square things with wires sticking out of them. I had a lot of attention but the boss man finally let me through.

So what is the best way to fly with Lipo batteries these days?
TedFlack is online now Find More Posts by TedFlack
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2012, 09:14 AM
Joined Dec 2007
60 Posts
The lipos MUST be in your carry on with each battery in its own baggie and all terminals taped. There is a restriction as to the number of batteries you can carry listed on the TSA site, but after the TSA guy scoured my boat, he just asked "Are these for the boat?" while showing me the batteries. So he let me go through, all intact.

Do consult the TSA site and print that portion out that concerns batteries. Carry it with you on the plane. I was shocked (pardon the pun) about how seemingly blase TSA was about batteries. This is based on my one flight in the last two years, but it was a recent flight.

Brig
B North is offline Find More Posts by B North
Last edited by B North; Jul 03, 2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 09:25 AM
Joined Jan 2006
581 Posts
+1 on carry on with Lipo's. I have carried quite a few as I also attend RC car races. I have had no issues carrying them on. They seemed more concerned about my charger than the batteries.
slotracer577 is offline Find More Posts by slotracer577
Old Jul 03, 2012, 10:33 AM
Joined Feb 2010
566 Posts
Thanks guys!
Old Jul 03, 2012, 01:08 PM
New Zealand, Bay Of Plenty, Pyes Pa
Joined Nov 2010
16 Posts
On Air Nz I had a bit of fun. Thankfully I have this information sheet with me.
http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/guide-to-dangerous-goods

Lithium Ion Batteries with a Watt-hour rating exceeding 100 Wh but not exceeding 160 Wh for consumer electronic devices. No more than two spare batteries may be carried in carry-on baggage only. These batteries must be individually protected to prevent short circuits. These batteries must be carry-on baggage
Ohope is offline Find More Posts by Ohope
Old Jul 03, 2012, 03:04 PM
Joined Dec 2007
60 Posts
Ohope,

How does NZ's version of our TSA (US Transportation Safety Board) interpret "no more than two spares..."? Does that mean one in the boat or Tx and two extras for each? That was the logic I used on the TSA guy who wanted me limited to four batteries when I had six. Just curious what other folks have seen in their recent travels.

There is nothing worse than getting the boot at the last minute from the airline or security!!! Fed Ex keeps looking sweeter from a less hassle perspective....

Happy 4th of July to US folks!!!

Thanks.

Brig
B North is offline Find More Posts by B North
Old Jul 03, 2012, 06:30 PM
Joined Nov 2011
104 Posts
Ted put the lipos in the same carry on as your radio , when you get to the xray take your boat out of the bag and send it thru, then do the same with your radio taking it out of the bag then send bag thru with lipos this will not give them a reason to go thru your bag i do not use lipos how ever they have never look at my batteries i also carry the rudder in the bag as the boat is out and on top of the bag they only look at the boat they dont even bother with radio the curbside checkin at my airport dont ask whats in case any more they now say were are you fishing this time
tony/g
BAJAN SAIL 51 is offline Find More Posts by BAJAN SAIL 51
Old Jul 03, 2012, 07:39 PM
NORTHLAND NEW ZEALAND
New Zealand, Northland, Totara North
Joined Feb 2012
572 Posts
spitfire build photos

Here's a couple pics of my spitfire build.
D design is offline Find More Posts by D design
Old Jul 03, 2012, 07:56 PM
NORTHLAND NEW ZEALAND
New Zealand, Northland, Totara North
Joined Feb 2012
572 Posts
Pictures of Spitfire and D2

D design is offline Find More Posts by D design
Old Jul 03, 2012, 09:15 PM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
1,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJAN SAIL 51 View Post
Ted put the lipos in the same carry on as your radio , when you get to the xray take your boat out of the bag and send it thru, then do the same with your radio taking it out of the bag then send bag thru with lipos this will not give them a reason to go thru your bag i do not use lipos how ever they have never look at my batteries i also carry the rudder in the bag as the boat is out and on top of the bag they only look at the boat they dont even bother with radio the curbside checkin at my airport dont ask whats in case any more they now say were are you fishing this time
tony/g
Put the LiPo's in a ziplock bag tape the terminals insert in carry on bag and say nothing.I would doubt very much if an x ray can determine LiFe LiPo Li-ion Nimh Nicad.All portable devises run on batts these days.
The Tug is online now Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Jul 04, 2012, 11:14 AM
Joined Feb 2010
566 Posts
Tony and Peter make this air travel thing seem so easy.

Of course they both say things like "Just charm the stewardess and they will let you put your boat in their locker". Easy for guys with that Barbados accent and charm to say, not so easy for an old guy from Michigan.

Thanks for the information guys.

Ted
Old Jul 05, 2012, 03:25 PM
USA, MI, Ortonville
Joined Sep 2006
36 Posts
Italiko vs Topiko

I got offered an Italiko for the Lintel. What are the differences in beam and are the rocker shapes different. The fellow buried the winch drum below the deck patch. Do most Bantock boats require you lift a corner of the patch to access pot cover and batteries? I remember reading that Topiko is very very good in light air....
fvracerone1 is offline Find More Posts by fvracerone1
Old Jul 05, 2012, 04:41 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
848 Posts
Italiko vs Topiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvracerone1 View Post
I got offered an Italiko for the Lintel. What are the differences in beam and are the rocker shapes different. The fellow buried the winch drum below the deck patch. Do most Bantock boats require you lift a corner of the patch to access pot cover and batteries? I remember reading that Topiko is very very good in light air....
Do you mean the R/C gear is covered by a deck patch and not in a pot like most IOM's like this Pikanto?
ToniGe23 is offline Find More Posts by ToniGe23
Old Jul 05, 2012, 08:43 PM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
1,997 Posts
Usually winch and a pot below deck level coverd by a deck patch for GB boats.Some carry a switch for this reason.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 09:05 PM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
1,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedFlack View Post
Tony and Peter make this air travel thing seem so easy.

Of course they both say things like "Just charm the stewardess and they will let you put your boat in their locker". Easy for guys with that Barbados accent and charm to say, not so easy for an old guy from Michigan.

Thanks for the information guys.

Ted
No Ted i actually read on AA's site that Lithium batts should be in carry on baggage terminals taped and in a ziploc,that's what i do but i keep my mouth shut zip,any information for them is too much information let them do the talking.I suggest reading the airline's baggage site i usually print it and hilight the bits i think will back up my story.Fishing equipment is allowed so we are kite fishermen thats our story and we're sticking to it.Don't tell me you've never seen that little bait skippin on the water.Just keep a straight face will ya.
P.S Just tell the stewardess it's very fragile and stops one more bag in the bin would you mind puttin it in the coat locker is not an unreasonable request if that fails it fits on the floor betwene your legs,people get on with violins guitars and all sorts.If you get on early spin two bags sideways leaves room in front slam locker shut,then when the next guy comes along be a good simaritan and ask the attendant to put it away so you can let this nice person stuff an extra bag in,there's always 10 ways to skin a cat.
Last edited by The Tug; Jul 05, 2012 at 09:42 PM.