No 27 50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 20, 2012, 10:14 AM
Cape Town South Africa
Joined Jan 2010
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Corbett View Post
Given the current number of "original" boat designs that seem to be copies of other designer's work, if I had created a winning boat, I wouldn't want people to give out its dimensions. In all events I think pchicken is on the right track--the question should be asked to designers directly and let them make the decision of what to disclose or not.
Any good designer seldom designs something completely different. Generally you see a trend. Oh look, chined skinny boats seem to be faster and you follow that trend and try to improve on it. You dont suddenly go and build a super wide TS2 again. If you design something, you look to see what works first and you try and improve on it.

The Britpop is a follow on from the Widget and Lintel lineage. Its not completely new for example.

A boats width does not give away its design secrets. You can see approximately how wide the bloody thing is with your own eyes. I cant see them except in photo's, hence the question as to the general trend.

I dont want to know how wide the Britpop is. I want to know where the trend is going. Are the newer boats possibly narrower (Fractal, V8) for example, and do they still seem to go well in the breeze. I dont want to know the detail of the rocker line or whether they have U shaped or circular sections.

If I was to copy a boat, it would probably be the V8 as Ian Vickers has followed the trend and possibly improved on the Britpop. Do you think Ian needed to go and measure the Britpop?

Its the kind of stuff you would discuss over drinks after racing, and you really should be able to discuss general trends on this forum without being anal.
Craig Richards is offline Find More Posts by Craig Richards
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:31 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Dec 2009
74 Posts
Brazilian BritPOP

I know commercial endorsements are not appropriate for this thread, but I remember an earlier post request asking about the build quality of the other builders (other than Robot) of BritPOPs. My BritPOP was delivered several days ago from Brazil. Denis Astbury was the builder.........

He hit it out of the ballpark. Way out of the ballpark. It is stunning and the build quality is extraordinary. I have never seen a better crafted IOM. It was well worth the wait.

His website is nautae.com.br He speaks fluent English
blackrgb is offline Find More Posts by blackrgb
Old Jun 22, 2012, 01:36 PM
Gloucestershire, UK
Joined Oct 2006
37 Posts
Hull Design Trend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Richards View Post
I cant see them except in photo's, hence the question as to the general trend.

Craig, I'll have a word next time I'm on the water, and see what the opinion is. These guys are all very approachable, and I'm sure every designer is always looking to be challenged....otherwise life would be boring, not so?

BTW...I've lent my boat to Nick (of Woodspring) for the SW District Championship series event down in Falmouth this weekend, so I'm interested to see how it goes in someone else's hands. Will let you know.

Cheers

Simon
simonc94 is offline Find More Posts by simonc94
Old Jun 22, 2012, 03:12 PM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrgb View Post
I know commercial endorsements are not appropriate for this thread, but I remember an earlier post request asking about the build quality of the other builders (other than Robot) of BritPOPs. My BritPOP was delivered several days ago from Brazil. Denis Astbury was the builder.........

He hit it out of the ballpark. Way out of the ballpark. It is stunning and the build quality is extraordinary. I have never seen a better crafted IOM. It was well worth the wait.

Hi Blackrgb,

That endorsement is fine really its more of a review, thanks for the info it will help others that have a Britpop on order from him and I think Brad would have been very careful on choosing who builds his boats. I haven't seen a Britpop yet but I have seen finish oa a Robot and V7 and both those were amazing.
8387mike is online now Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old Jun 22, 2012, 03:49 PM
OlivierFRA100
Joined Nov 2006
172 Posts
Quote:

I can confirm ! And his boats are fast too !
FRA3700 is online now Find More Posts by FRA3700
Old Jun 22, 2012, 05:47 PM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
1,992 Posts
Quote:

Is yours Blue too.
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Jun 22, 2012, 06:00 PM
OlivierFRA100
Joined Nov 2006
172 Posts
No ? blue again ?
FRA3700 is online now Find More Posts by FRA3700
Old Jun 22, 2012, 07:33 PM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by the tug View Post
is yours blue too.
lol :d :d
8387mike is online now Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:05 PM
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
880 Posts
Not much info on the Denis Astbury website and no contact info or boat pricing.
Britpop is a fast design, saw several at our norcal North and South bay event at Foster City.
NAC's are coming in the US, wondering how many boats are gonna show up.
Rssailor is offline Find More Posts by Rssailor
Old Jun 23, 2012, 09:30 AM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2004
432 Posts
I hear Denis will be attending this year's nationals in San Diego.
Mesnik is offline Find More Posts by Mesnik
Old Jun 24, 2012, 07:53 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
1,992 Posts
Dennis is fluent in english and awnsers his emails,i found him painless to deal with and he builds a really nice boat,the only thing i have seen that's comparable is a Bantock build,i left him alone to do his work and did'nt nag him,good luck getting one in the near future.He used to work for Graham so thats where his clean build skills come from.Actually i did'nt know him but order'd from him in the hope that he had less to build than the others,i am still looking at it not as my new Brit Pop but saying to myself i've got value for my money it's simply superb.He is right up there with the best of em.A little bit of blue overspray on the inside but at least we're getting rid of the blue paint lol.
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Jun 24, 2012, 09:13 AM
United States, MI, Bloomfield Hills
Joined Feb 2010
566 Posts
Freddie posted the Nationals entry list, as of today, on the USA Forum, if you are going to San Diego they need to know. The deadline for all classes is next week.

By the way, Dennis is on the list.
TedFlack is offline Find More Posts by TedFlack
Last edited by TedFlack; Jun 24, 2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 11:26 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2 Posts
Check out http://www.youtube.com/user/Kingg2855 for videos of the 2012 MYA Radio Marblehead National Championships 2012 - Fleetwood 23-24 June 2012.
Terry Fonzarelli is offline Find More Posts by Terry Fonzarelli
Old Jun 25, 2012, 12:24 PM
USA, LA, Mandeville
Joined Feb 2005
886 Posts
^ Maybe post that link in the Marblehead racing forum? ^
hew565 is offline Find More Posts by hew565
Old Jun 27, 2012, 05:51 PM
Joined Sep 2011
18 Posts
Yet again great videos from the King Of Cool.

For the IOM purists there a few videos of some IOM's in Scotland that play after the RM's.
Graham J Elliott is offline Find More Posts by Graham J Elliott