View Poll Results: If you are reading this thread are you an IOM owner
Yes 26 49.06%
No 27 50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 16, 2012, 09:53 AM
USA, LA, Mandeville
Joined Feb 2005
886 Posts
I grind a small flat spot on the rudder shaft, but leave a small length of the full round shaft above. If I forget to tighten the screw, the shaft should stay attached to the horn instead of slipping all of the way out.
hew565 is offline Find More Posts by hew565
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2012, 10:56 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
850 Posts
exactly what I do, as you say if it does loosen it will not drop through, my club mate reckons if he gets a knock on the rudder it will not strip a servo but on a few occasions I have watched him sail in circles

I have used a couple of different make rudder horns but found the best to be from BGsails and design http://www.bgsailsanddesignstore.big...t/steering-arm highly recommended!
ToniGe23 is online now Find More Posts by ToniGe23
Old Jun 16, 2012, 01:24 PM
Broughty Ferry, Dundee, Scotland
Joined Feb 2006
127 Posts
With reference to the account of the NED149 lost keel at the UK Nationals, I recall that the keel fixing arrangement had the top of the fin protruding through the lowered deck and transversly pinned, with the pin wedging to the surface. I would think that the pin was possibly pulled out by the loop of the mainsheet catching it. If you blow up the photo of the yacht on Tony G's picky set, you may be able to see the arrangement.

Ralph
isisagoodun is offline Find More Posts by isisagoodun
Old Jun 16, 2012, 01:50 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
850 Posts
well spotted Ralph I had not noticed that I have enlarged the picture if you double click over the picture it will go full size
ToniGe23 is online now Find More Posts by ToniGe23
Old Jun 17, 2012, 05:27 PM
Joined Dec 2007
60 Posts
Thank you, Toni, for the incredible pics!
B North is offline Find More Posts by B North
Old Jun 17, 2012, 09:25 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Dec 2009
74 Posts
Our Hood River sailing adventure is over and it was a thrill. All smiles. The winds were typical for the Columbia Gorge. The wind surfers/kite boarders owned the river and we owned the Marina. Being one of the least experienced skippers I used my B rig all day Saturday and my C rig all day Sunday. It seems a bit odd sailing with a C rig at 9:30 AM in fresh water in a protected Marina surrounded by drop dead natural scenery knowing it will only get windier as the hours pass.

It was an informal event and we enjoyed the racing / practice in the robust winds so much so we eventually lost track of the score.....but no one cared. It was simple non stop pure power sailing. I think it was a learning experience for all of us although several (Jerry Warren Brower and Morgan Dewees) of our macho Dallas Blow Out boys were to cool to rig down like the rest of us. Jerry never used his C rig and Morgan held out with his A rig most of Saturday.

It was interesting how the Topiko/Pikantos were first to rig down. The Lintel, Cheinz and Widgets carried bigger rigs but the races were close enough to be interesting for all. The little rigs could make it to the windward mark first but were killed running.

We should get the same winds at the Carnage next month.....hope I didn't jinx us. Ron Blackledge
blackrgb is offline Find More Posts by blackrgb
Old Jun 19, 2012, 06:33 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,003 Posts
How do you make a mould to reproduce a silicone bow bumper??I have a spare one.
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:56 AM
USA, LA, Mandeville
Joined Feb 2005
886 Posts
Re bow bumper

Since almost nothing will stick to silicone, you can make a mold from several different materials, just NOT silicone.

If you build a small box and place the bumper on the bottom, you can pour plaster over it to about 3/4 inch thick and let harden. After you pull the bumper out, you can pour 2 part silicone back in the cavity.

For better quality molds, you can use two part polyurethane molding resin, or even epoxy and glass cloth.

http://www.smooth-on.com/ and look under "Silicone Rubber" and "Urethane Rubber" links down in the left column.

NOTE: Do not make a silicone mold if you want to cast with silicone. They will bond together! You must use two dissimilar materials for the mold and casting, if you want silicone final piece. You can also tint the two part silicone mix with a few drops of acrylic paint, before you pour it into the mold.
hew565 is offline Find More Posts by hew565
Old Jun 19, 2012, 01:58 PM
United States, MI, Bloomfield Hills
Joined Feb 2010
566 Posts
New Boat

Peter,

How is that new boat treating you?
TedFlack is online now Find More Posts by TedFlack
Old Jun 19, 2012, 05:04 PM
Grant L
Auckland NZ
Joined Nov 2010
43 Posts
V8 Website

Ian has constructed a website for the V8
vickersiom.com
PB88 is offline Find More Posts by PB88
Old Jun 19, 2012, 06:35 PM
South of the Rio Grande..
Chile - South America
Joined Apr 2008
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB88 View Post
Ian has constructed a website for the V8
vickersiom.com
That boat is fast...... can't wait to get mine.
gonzalo38 is offline Find More Posts by gonzalo38
Old Jun 20, 2012, 05:31 AM
Cape Town South Africa
Joined Jan 2010
88 Posts
Not having any of the newer boats (Britpop, V8, Cheinz etc) locally in our South African waters, can anybody give me a brief overview of their basic dimensions?

They look to be about 160mm wide on the water line at maximum beam and about 100mm at the transom. Close to maximum draft 58mm?

Thanks.
Craig Richards is offline Find More Posts by Craig Richards
Old Jun 20, 2012, 07:30 AM
Joined Dec 2009
72 Posts
Craig,
Have you tried asking any of the various designers directly?
I could imagine what the tone of response may be.
pchicken is offline Find More Posts by pchicken
Old Jun 20, 2012, 07:59 AM
Cape Town South Africa
Joined Jan 2010
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pchicken View Post
Craig,
Have you tried asking any of the various designers directly?
I could imagine what the tone of response may be.
I dont want their design, I just want to know the general direction that IOM's have moved since the last worlds.

Prior to the worlds most boats had a waterline beam of about 170mm and a maximum width of ~200mm. Now I think the dimensions are down to ~ 160 and ~165mm respectively with a prismatic coefficient close to 0.6

I hardly think any designer would get his knickers in a knot if I asked him what the beam was?

My own design won one of the seeding races at the 2012 British nationals, so its competitive against the Britpops etc, but I want to build a one off new boat optimised for expected lighter conditions at a forthcoming event, but since I cant see with my own eyes what the general trend is I dont think it could hurt to ask.
Craig Richards is offline Find More Posts by Craig Richards
Old Jun 20, 2012, 09:29 AM
Joined Mar 2012
225 Posts
Given the current number of "original" boat designs that seem to be copies of other designer's work, if I had created a winning boat, I wouldn't want people to give out its dimensions. In all events I think pchicken is on the right track--the question should be asked to designers directly and let them make the decision of what to disclose or not.
Tom Corbett is offline Find More Posts by Tom Corbett