Yes 26 49.06%
No 27 50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 13, 2012, 09:32 AM
USA, MI, Ortonville
Joined Sep 2006
37 Posts
Just found this thread......Lintel

Hi guys.... thanx for keeping this blog a secret. :-)))) I am putting my Lintel up for trade for a Pikanto or Topiko. It was constructed for the worlds at Marseille to be sailed by an expatriate Englishman living in Germany. The boat has three rigs , with Power sails A, Black Magic B and C. (I will have to verify). The A main is tired and should be replaced. Standard stuff.....RMG, Creed fin and rudder.
I can deliver the boat to the Toronto regatta if that would make it more viable. Also has fiberglass golf club case w wheels for shipping.......Pix available.

Frank V
248.563.4323 cell.......leave message.
fvracerone1 is offline Find More Posts by fvracerone1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:08 AM
United States, MI, Bloomfield Hills
Joined Feb 2010
576 Posts
So let me get this straight.

Most guys take the hull on board as carry on luggage and store it in the overhead or sweet talk the stewardess (Tony and Peter) into letting them put it in their locker....right?

Then it is a matter of paying or not for the rig box, but the airline will take it for sure on the plane, except maybe regional jets (according to Delta website)....is this true too?

The last time I flew with my boat was a couple of years ago and I was Gold Elite on Delta. The rig box and a golf case for the hull were both free but I have since retired, quit flying, and I'm not an Elite Card member anymore.

Bruce Anderson said screw it a few years ago and ships his stuff to his motel and they ship it back home from the motel. It probably isn't cheap but it sure is hassle free. He even uses a double wide golf case and uses half for his hull and the other have for his clothing and such.
TedFlack is offline Find More Posts by TedFlack
Last edited by TedFlack; Jun 13, 2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 12:40 PM
Joined Dec 2007
62 Posts
Ted,

I have been shipping my sail box by Fed Ex for some time now, since Southwest gave me the scare at the airport. It works well, is relatively inexpensive ($30 each way in general), and gets to the destination in 3 to 4 days.

This past regatta in San Rafael I carried the boat on the plane and got it in an overhead. That worked well, but I am always paranoid about overhead space getting taken, especially on airlines that charge bag fees. On Southwest you get two bags free, so unless you're doing a businessman's jaunt, say Dallas to Houston at 7 am, bin space can be had. The big issues I have with bin space is attorneys sticking their bags up there, so that's why I try to avoid the early morning flights if possible.

The keel on my boat has the bulb attached to the fin. When we had our toilets replaced, I kept the very thick cardboard that was part of the shipping material, and it happens to fit perfectly in my very large suitcase. I zip tie the keel to the cardboard which keeps the keel centered in the bag. I have it written all over the cardboard asking TSA to please stack clothes back on top, and so far, they have done so.

All of that said, I would love to have the sail box with me when I arrive as opposed to doing the Fed Ex thing. However, back when I had no issues with Southwest and I took it on the plane, they had no problem with the fact that a goodly sized hole got poked in the box (I wasn't pleased!).

I received an e mail from a great IOM sailor in reponse to this thread who told me that he doesn't have issues with his sail box going on the planes he flies, so perhaps it's just a Southwest Airlines thing.

Thanks.

Brig
B North is offline Find More Posts by B North
Old Jun 14, 2012, 05:00 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
856 Posts
UK IOM Nationals 2012

Hi,
As the thread has been short of pictures lately I thought I would post some of the UK IOM Nationals 2012 I took over 200 pictures in all and as requested some deck shots so here goes.
ToniGe23 is online now Find More Posts by ToniGe23
Old Jun 15, 2012, 04:31 AM
UK
Joined Sep 2002
988 Posts
Toni

Great photos.
Do you have any of the Lintel MMX ?

Brian
Brian Wa is online now Find More Posts by Brian Wa
Old Jun 15, 2012, 04:08 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
856 Posts
UK IOM Nationals 2012

Ooops, that shouldn't happen!
Old Jun 16, 2012, 12:15 AM
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
892 Posts
Is it rare for an IOM to lose its keel. Never seen that happen in the last 18 months of IOM sailing here in the bay area. Quite surprising to see such an established design lose its keel. Great pictures of various boats. Ryan
Rssailor is offline Find More Posts by Rssailor
Old Jun 16, 2012, 03:08 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rssailor View Post
Is it rare for an IOM to lose its keel. Never seen that happen in the last 18 months of IOM sailing here in the bay area. Quite surprising to see such an established design lose its keel. Great pictures of various boats. Ryan
I have seen it happen a couple of years ago at another event it's probably due to the skipper fitting the keel and doing the screw up finger tight then forgetting to tighten it with a screw driver, I have also seen a boat lose it's rudder as well due to the same reason. I'm sure some of us have launched our boat without switching on haven't we
Old Jun 16, 2012, 03:36 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
856 Posts
what's your opinion of fixing the rudder horn to the rudder shaft, my club mates just tighten the horn screw but I mill a flat spot on the shaft so the screw not only has more area to bite onto but the rudder cannot be knocked out of place.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 04:40 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,105 Posts
All my boats that I have sailed and sold have a flat spot ground onto the shaft
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old Jun 16, 2012, 04:51 AM
Joined Apr 2012
31 Posts
Not only do i file a flat on shaft,i also drill a small hole above arm and insert small split pin.
On Johns sails is there no Luff wire,thoughts on this + or - .
DR P. is offline Find More Posts by DR P.