HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: If you are reading this thread are you an IOM owner
Yes 26 49.06%
No 27 50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 28, 2012, 07:45 AM
Joined Mar 2012
229 Posts
Took a look at the Italian website. Pretty amusing. Besides the bad English, it looks like they are selling a copy of the RMG Winch; a copy of the SailsEtc. fittings; and now a copy of the BritPop. Maybe they should have a disclaimer like sites that sell "replica" (meaning "fake") Rolex watches and Louis Vuitton bags (lol). tom
Tom Corbett is offline Find More Posts by Tom Corbett
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2012, 08:22 AM
United States, MI, Bloomfield Hills
Joined Feb 2010
576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rssailor View Post
Anybody got a picture or diagram of how to set up the self tensioning cunningham setup? Ryan
From Lester Gilbert:

http://www.onemetre.net/Build/Downease/Downease.htm

Ted
TedFlack is offline Find More Posts by TedFlack
Old May 28, 2012, 09:00 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Corbett View Post
Took a look at the Italian website. Pretty amusing. Besides the bad English, it looks like they are selling a copy of the RMG Winch; a copy of the SailsEtc. fittings; and now a copy of the BritPop. Maybe they should have a disclaimer like sites that sell "replica" (meaning "fake") Rolex watches and Louis Vuitton bags (lol). tom
Reports back on the winch, not as quick as an RMG and I cannot get it to programme had to use th TX to set the end points. I haven't had a dramma with it apart from the programming, I have loaned my new boat to a friend while I can't sail and he is waiting for his Chinez and this is what he has come back with.

But very good service
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old May 28, 2012, 02:40 PM
Joined May 2012
2 Posts
Quote:
Hi men,
I do not understand the hate that shines through your words
Do you have a problem with Italians?
Do you have had bad experience with your girlfriend?
Greetings

p.s. Sorry for my English
te aihe is offline Find More Posts by te aihe
Old May 28, 2012, 06:05 PM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,545 Posts
Te aihe, the "hate" seems more directed at "plagio" than Italians
martin richards is offline Find More Posts by martin richards
Old May 29, 2012, 12:14 AM
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
892 Posts
Thanks Ted. I had fogotten about that site. Lots of good info there.
Rssailor is offline Find More Posts by Rssailor
Old May 29, 2012, 01:37 AM
Joined May 2012
7 Posts
Hi everyone, I'm Gian Luca Nardo designer CARVING for sale on the website: http://www.barcheradiocomandate.it/carving/, I sold my project to these people who now produce it for you ..

My designe has been exposed to Brad G. , His reply was: Carving is not the Brit Pop.

I have not copied anything from Brad, my previous designe were already similar, flat deck and all I did say it's a Brit Pop!? Many blind people are stupid in the world.

Excuse my English I do not know if you understood all the way
ITA09 is offline Find More Posts by ITA09
Old May 29, 2012, 02:24 AM
Germany
Joined Mar 2009
513 Posts
@ Tom Corbett ....Didnít read previous post on the subject did we !? .. classic case of putting your mouth into gear before your brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoneWone View Post
About IOM carving design, when Brad Gibson was last in Italy Luca shared his plans of CARVING with BG which he confirmed are very different from BRIT POP with different hull curves.

The design & name of IOM CARVING was inspired by well known & revolutionary snow-ski that has been dominating the powder over the last decade, with the edges on skis foils being 86 į -87 į and preset by radius on R.14-R.16 models..... the goal is the same, since skiís edge on its side uses same principle as the boats chine that has become fashionable today in boating, this is where the design idea and name CARVING came from.

Each IOM CARVING is slightly different as Luca is not afraid to experiment with different ideas, my carving # 3 as example has bulb C.G behind hull C.B with ballast in front of the mast and it is very stable sailing platform especailly in heavier airs.

The design and construction of the CARVING I would suggest is up there amongst the best in the world, without the long lead times that I hear many are experiencing with other IOM designs.

Cheers Alan

P.S A gallery of photo's from IOM regatta at Lake Garda (Nth Italy) that Luca won with CARVING its first major event http://www.flickr.com/photos/2868305...86498090/show/
KoneWone is offline Find More Posts by KoneWone
Old May 29, 2012, 02:55 AM
New Zealand, Manawatu-Wanganui, Wanganui
Joined May 2012
3 Posts
always wanted a fake rolex
kane101 is offline Find More Posts by kane101
Old May 29, 2012, 03:38 AM
New Zealand, Manawatu-Wanganui, Wanganui
Joined May 2012
3 Posts
Is there a Glossary thread for us newbies ,or helpful threads for a beginner sailor (never sailed anything till now ..rc or rea)l ....just 5 months sailing time
kane101 is offline Find More Posts by kane101
Old May 29, 2012, 05:35 AM
Joined May 2012
7 Posts
All cars have 4 wheels,

Only a fool says they are all equal.

Even the donkeys and horses have tails ahahaha
ITA09 is offline Find More Posts by ITA09
Old May 29, 2012, 08:27 AM
Joined Mar 2012
229 Posts
Mate: There is also an old saying--"Lie down with dogs and you get fleas." If you put your boat (that really does look a lot like a BritPop) on a site that sells winches that look like RMGs and fittings that look like SailsEtc. it's pretty hard not to think that maybe your product isn't entirely the result of original thinking.

Good luck to you.
Tom Corbett is offline Find More Posts by Tom Corbett
Old May 29, 2012, 09:05 AM
United States, MI, Bloomfield Hills
Joined Feb 2010
576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kane101 View Post
Is there a Glossary thread for us newbies ,or helpful threads for a beginner sailor (never sailed anything till now ..rc or rea)l ....just 5 months sailing time
Here ya go, more than you will ever need, especially the terms for all the square rigger lines.

http://www.photographers1.com/Sailin...enclature.html

or a much simpler version:

http://www.rmsail.org/Features/terminology.shtml
TedFlack is offline Find More Posts by TedFlack
Old May 29, 2012, 10:46 AM
Germany
Joined Mar 2009
513 Posts
Quote:
Mate: There is also an old saying--"Lie down with dogs and you get fleas." If you put your boat (that really does look a lot like a BritPop) on a site that sells winches that look like RMGs and fittings that look like SailsEtc. it's pretty hard not to think that maybe your product isn't entirely the result of original thinking.

Good luck to you.
I guess opinions are like assh*les, everyone's got one MATE ! but facts are Carver is NOT OR EVER CLAIMED TO BE A Britpop !

As said earlier Luca shared his plans for Carver with Brad Gibson when he was in Italy and as BG correctly says he was not the inventor of Chines and thatís the only design feature that both boats have in common.

What BG does say, he does have a problem when people claim being similar to his designs and with you not knowing the difference between Britpop and a Carver lays your problem, making observations by drawing assumptions and labelling them the same as other boats that are entirely wrong !

Tuff luff now sheet it on ... !
KoneWone is offline Find More Posts by KoneWone
Old May 29, 2012, 03:40 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,276 Posts
A must read, interview with Ian Vickers and some great pics of the new V8.

http://iomusa.org/attachments/articl...ail)%20(1).pdf
gpzy is online now Find More Posts by gpzy