View Poll Results: If you are reading this thread are you an IOM owner
Yes 26 49.06%
No 27 50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 12, 2012, 10:55 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,139 Posts
Those guys are fast getting off the line which is very important starting lee bow and calling for water shortly there after was used very well nobody really pressed that rule my take on it would be a starboard tacker from mid line could nail the crowd back after sailing 1-2 boat lengths as you are now back in water and have room to tack i've seen this many times in big boats coming off the cliff in Antigua race week and win the protest the key being that the other boat has the room to do two tacks,it's a marathon so you have to be focused for 6 days.My style of sailing is to have fun and was very fast on day 2 then discover'd the pub down the street and the starts on day 3 looked exactly like a hangover i had, i thought beer was only a soft drink lol.
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Last edited by The Tug; May 12, 2012 at 11:12 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2012, 04:03 PM
OlivierFRA100
Joined Nov 2006
185 Posts
Lol !

Top 5 of last WC is not so bad at the pub neither !! ;-)
FRA3700 is online now Find More Posts by FRA3700
Old May 14, 2012, 04:13 PM
Flying without a licence
United Kingdom, Wales, The Mumbles
Joined Dec 2010
611 Posts
Remember my home made and designed VMG ! she was measured today and was a bit light, in fact 290 grams (10.2 oz) too light. Not bad for a homebrew balsa/glass IOM.
Now I'm left with a dilema on how best to increase the weight, another coat or two of resin on the wetted hull area, lead up the masts, lead adjacent to the fin box, bigger batteries is a tricky one as my pot is so small.
No wonder she was going so well
FWAL is online now Find More Posts by FWAL
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: No software here!
Old May 14, 2012, 05:07 PM
UK
Joined Sep 2002
988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FWAL View Post
Remember my home made and designed VMG ! she was measured today and was a bit light, in fact 290 grams (10.2 oz) too light. Not bad for a homebrew balsa/glass IOM.
Now I'm left with a dilema on how best to increase the weight, another coat or two of resin on the wetted hull area, lead up the masts, lead adjacent to the fin box, bigger batteries is a tricky one as my pot is so small.
No wonder she was going so well

The best option is to fit lead balence weights adjacent to the bottom of the fin box"

You will need to ballast the No 2 and No 3 rigs to be the same weight as your No 1 rig.

Brian
Brian Wa is offline Find More Posts by Brian Wa
Old May 15, 2012, 06:07 AM
Joined May 2012
87 Posts
Hi Guy's,
Just a quick question; Is there anyone out there who has seen a r/c yacht tuning circle? It looks like a pie chart. If I remember correctly if you have an issue and identify it on the clock/circle it shows what must be done to rectify it. If it doesn't work you go back a section and start again. Sorry this doesn't address whats currently being discussed but for IOM skippers this thing is really good particularly for rig setup.

This thing is ancient and it would be good particularly for those who have trouble with sail setup and rig tuning.

Thanks
Tony
basildog is offline Find More Posts by basildog
Old May 15, 2012, 10:29 AM
IBEX Lair, Cavalero Hill
United States, WA, Lake Stevens
Joined May 2012
16 Posts

And here is the write-up that goes with the wheel.

How To Sail Fast by Bob Sterne.

z
USA 42 is offline Find More Posts by USA 42
Last edited by USA 42; May 15, 2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old May 15, 2012, 10:36 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Wa View Post
The best option is to fit lead balence weights adjacent to the bottom of the fin box"

You will need to ballast the No 2 and No 3 rigs to be the same weight as your No 1 rig.

Brian
or move around the bass of the hull as low down as possible to fine tune.
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old May 15, 2012, 01:00 PM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,139 Posts
put it in the bottom of the boat you can move it fore and aft until happy and then make it more permanent use something like contact cement that can peel off if you ever need to silicone never comes out and leaves a mess.And that doubble sided tape on the weights is also problems,i've found 5 min epoxy and GOOP can be peeled up starting at an edge just bear that in mind.Use some of the mast scrap as a mould for pouring lead insert that into the B and C rig to bring them up to weight.
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Last edited by The Tug; May 15, 2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old May 15, 2012, 11:47 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Oct 2007
8 Posts
Hi All My first time up,have just completed a John Taylor (SOFAR) there are suposed to be 17 hull plans sold, wondering if any body has one ,& how they are doing.
ronahearn is offline Find More Posts by ronahearn
Old May 16, 2012, 03:19 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronahearn View Post
Hi All My first time up,have just completed a John Taylor (SOFAR) there are suposed to be 17 hull plans sold, wondering if any body has one ,& how they are doing.
Ask John he post on here
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old May 16, 2012, 04:44 AM
Fleetwood, UK
Joined Dec 2010
219 Posts
Sofar (IOM)

In actual fact 15 plans have been sold but two people have asked permission to build an additional boat, of which I have said yes. In my email that I sent asking how is everyone progressing with their projects, 4 haven't started yet. At the moment the list of personnel that have plans for the Sofar (IOM) are as follows.

JT
www.taylormadeyachts.com

Hull Name Country
1 J. Taylor (UK)
2 A. Wardrop (AUS)
3 F. Lopez (SPA)
4 D. Cox (UK)
5 Unknown (UK)
6 G. Louis (IRE)
7 J. Ole (DEN)
8 S. Fasi (IT)
9 Unknown (DEN)
10 E.Georges (UK)
11 R. Hearn (AUS)
12 Unknown (JAP)
13 S. Eichhoff (DEN)
14 Unknown (UK)
15 Unknown (DEN)

Pictures

Name: Sofar (IOM).jpg
Views: 214
Size: 210.8 KB
Description: Name: SF 2.jpg
Views: 292
Size: 197.4 KB
Description: Name: SF 5.jpg
Views: 261
Size: 205.5 KB
Description:
john m taylor is offline Find More Posts by john m taylor
Last edited by john m taylor; May 16, 2012 at 07:34 AM.
Old May 16, 2012, 10:26 AM
OlivierFRA100
Joined Nov 2006
185 Posts
A video of last FRA championships here
FRA3700 is online now Find More Posts by FRA3700
Old May 16, 2012, 10:54 AM
Guz
Gutless wonder
Tempe, AZ
Joined Dec 2005
3,139 Posts
Raised fore decks?

What's the history of the raised fore decks on IOM's?

Is it for the sheeting off water in choppy conditions? Or for helping funnel air up the head sail?

This is something that I've quietly wondering about for a while, but just now remembered to ask. Personally I think they are cool looking
Guz is offline Find More Posts by Guz
Old May 16, 2012, 12:33 PM
Joined Apr 2007
256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guz View Post
What's the history of the raised fore decks on IOM's?

Is it for the sheeting off water in choppy conditions? Or for helping funnel air up the head sail?

This is something that I've quietly wondering about for a while, but just now remembered to ask. Personally I think they are cool looking
To help with mast bend/control (put the mast ram as high as possible).
gio06226 is offline Find More Posts by gio06226
Old May 16, 2012, 06:48 PM
Fleetwood, UK
Joined Dec 2010
219 Posts
Raised Foredeck

The foredeck was altered after we all saw the invention of the TS2 and its radical deck design, which allowed the rig to be lowered to increase sailing performance. The raised foredeck allows the water to run off the front of the boat quicker once the bow dips under a wave. This I believe was the main purpose of raising the foredeck, directing the airflow to the rig was probably a secondary thought in deck design, but I'm sure different designers will give you an alternative thought process than mine.

JT
www.taylormadeyachts.com
john m taylor is offline Find More Posts by john m taylor