Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:07 AM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tug View Post
Thanks for the great pics of lake Garda,if i may give an overview the lake looks to be a wonderful place to sail IOM's and many different designs the guy with the home built wooden hull crossing the fleet must feel proud of himself,but the prize giving table only has Coke and botteled water from the Alps i presume.So all of you beer drinkers would have to suck salt at that regatta lol.
Brescia to the south of Lake Garda is a well known wine producing area, with wines such as Valpolicella.
martin richards is online now Find More Posts by martin richards
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2012, 03:30 PM
Joined Mar 2012
225 Posts
Not sure that having a short lead time to get a boat is a great selling point. You can walk into any dealer and get any Ford Focus you want right off the floor, if you want a Ferrari you have to get on a pretty long waiting list. The BritPop was 1,2,3 in the World Championship and except for the second place by one point in a very light air, weed plagued race in Italy, I don't think it's lost in a major event anywhere. And the boat that won in Italy was one of Craig Smith's Obsessions, another Aussie boat that has a waiting list. All in all, I'l stick with RMG and my slot on the Brit Pop waiting list.
Tom Corbett is online now Find More Posts by Tom Corbett
Old Apr 19, 2012, 07:51 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,179 Posts
Tom - I know what you are saying - and based on your analogy, how come there were only 3 at the top of the list? Only 3 entered?

Coming from an old motocross racing background in early 1970's Roger DeCoster was the hottest person riding for Suzuki. I am sure if you could get them, you could easily resell his undershorts as it would definitely make the buyer as fast as he was! So what does this say about the same guys selling their earlier versions of their inspired designs that are now somewhat passe' in today's boat races? For about the top dozen sailors at the top of the "World" leader board, my guess is the most current design is critical to them - but that said - wouldn't all top 12 be sailing the same boat - kind of like the change that happened when the German "ultra-boat" in the Marblehead class did similar?

I think the issue of waiting or sailing is the real answer, and given the number of registered IOM boats here in the US, my guess is that there should be a lot more if it is the boat that is winning - and not the skipper. To replace my original multihull with a comparable one today would cost me well over $25,000 - but frankly I no longer have the desire, aspirations or abilities to chase regattas with a boat costing that much, that I would have to wait for even if I had the money. And having the money - whether for a Brit-Pop, a Ferrari, or an all carbon multihull certainly is no guarantee of anything - other than you can afford it, and you elected to wait. So - that said I will eagerly watch for your results when you get it - surely you will be at least number 4 in the Worlds that year. Unless someone else has one and is faster than you.

Cheers -
Dick L. is online now Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 09:41 PM
United States, MI, Bloomfield Hills
Joined Feb 2010
566 Posts
I am not sure what you are saying.

Do you mean that it doesn't matter what design boat you have in the IOM class (I disagree) or are you saying you don't think it is worth the wait and the money if you don't care how you do (I agree).

I have a Britpop and I can almost guarantee you I would not have been fourth at the Worlds, and yes there were only three there. I met Brad a couple of years ago and he was the most helpful guy I may have ever met. That alone made me want one of his boats, the fact that they go pretty fast is an added bonus. Do they need to be tuned and sailed properly, you bet, this is sailing after all and skills still matter.

If I was young and healthy enough to sail an "A" Class Cat I would want the latest and greatest not the one I had in 1980. Some people just like having the latest and greatest, I am one of them. It adds to the fun for me.
TedFlack is online now Find More Posts by TedFlack
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:41 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,179 Posts
Hi Ted -

basically if the BritPop is all the rage, and everyone "feels" it is the ultimate design answer in order to do well/win World Championships - I would question why anyone "not" in line or having one would attend to compete if their current design is no longer the design du' jour?

All of the other boats in your earlier post were, at one time, the "current rage" and now are not, according to my interpretation of what I read. The class bills itself as a some-what one design, yet it is a new boat design every season if I read that ya need one to be competitive. Given the number of sailors at a World's event (and it varies depending on location) it would seem that if you don't have one - why participate with your older design - is it one more reason if you don't win that it could have been the boat? Current thinking (speculation ?) is this IS the boat with which to win. The more that sail the specific designer's boat, the more to sell - and the public follows what is winning - regardless of who is sailing. That was my point. If you are one that needs latest/greatest that is fine, but wait a year - there will be a new one - and the year after and the year after, etc. This is the same discussion that happened in 2000 - just a different boat name, but same players.

Cheers
Dick L. is online now Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 02:57 PM
Joined Feb 2010
566 Posts
Dick,

If you watch the video from the Worlds last year you would see Graham Bantock being interviewed and he was asked if there was some part of the Britpop he would like to have, his response was classic, he said "Yes, the talent of the people sailing them".

And to answer your question about why compete if you don't have the latest and greatest, it's real simple, it's fun to race an IOM and the people in the class are fun to hang out with. Most people who go know darn well they aren't going to win and just want to do as good as they feel they can......and have fun.

Enough of this, the people who are on this site like IOM's so back to discussing the "Latest and Greatest" whatever it may be.
Last edited by TedFlack; Apr 20, 2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 04:51 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Dec 2009
74 Posts
You nailed it Ted

"it's real simple, it's fun to race an IOM and the people in the class are fun to hang out with. Most people who go know darn well they aren't going to win and just want to do as good as they feel they can......and have fun. "
blackrgb is offline Find More Posts by blackrgb
Old Apr 21, 2012, 09:40 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,000 Posts
Everybody loves to win,but i'll tell you straight off the bat that in this class are the most competitive sailors in R/C, it ain't easy to win,skill is #1 so it cant hurt to have a fast boat too.They are also other new boats starting to shine as well,but pay attention to who is sailing them the V8 just won in Boise Idaho that guy is capable of cleaning anybody's clock when he's on.There are prob 25-30 guys worlwide that can win when thier game plan is on.Brad is sailing at his best right now but he has clearly demonstrated that this boat is fast having won most regattas in several continents,if you are a sailor wanting to compete at the highest level who can blame anybody for wanting one,i hope there's more competitive designs on the way as the class might become a one design. When you think about the cost of attending a WC the equipment is only a part of it so it's if you choose to do so or not.The downside from my perspective here is my Lintel just excells in our conditions so i dont sail it as often because there are other sailors in the club who will never go to a worlds and are not going to buy a new boat,you got to let everybody have fun too or you end up sailing with yourself.
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Apr 22, 2012, 01:43 AM
New Zealand, Bay Of Plenty, Pyes Pa
Joined Nov 2010
16 Posts
K4s - NZL 33 skipper Richard Batchelor passed away last night

Hi fellow Sailors

We have some very sad news

Saturday lunchtime, Richard Batchelor was rushed in an ambulance from our sailing venue to Tauranga Hospital

Richard passed away later that evening

NZL 33 skipper Richard Batchelor's funeral will be at 1pm on Friday 27 April at the Tauranga Yacht and Power Boat Club, Sulphur Point

Richard will be dearly missed

Ohope is offline Find More Posts by Ohope
Last edited by Ohope; Apr 22, 2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 02:14 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,100 Posts
OMG that is a shock

R.I.P Richard.

Does any one know what happened?
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old Apr 22, 2012, 05:31 AM
OlivierFRA100
Joined Nov 2006
172 Posts
Rip...
FRA3700 is offline Find More Posts by FRA3700
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:40 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,000 Posts
Our condolences to his family and friends from all the IOM sailors in Barbados.RIP
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Apr 22, 2012, 06:03 PM
Joined Feb 2010
566 Posts
So sorry to hear this sad news. Condolences from the USA.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:27 AM
South of the Rio Grande..
Chile - South America
Joined Apr 2008
102 Posts
How is the V8 performing in races ? Any good results ?
gonzalo38 is offline Find More Posts by gonzalo38
Old Apr 23, 2012, 03:55 PM
Grant L
Auckland NZ
Joined Nov 2010
43 Posts
V8

Check out earlier posts pages 157 & 158 for photos and results. Very good results.
PB88 is offline Find More Posts by PB88