No 27 50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 27, 2012, 02:49 PM
Flying without a licence
United Kingdom, Wales, The Mumbles
Joined Dec 2010
543 Posts
Hi Brian
Thanks for the idea, if the pot recess filling with water does become a problem then I can see myself getting out the saw and doing some balsa bashing. Normally I doubt hardly any significant amount of water will wash over the sides, it's just that during Sundays racing the wind direction was forming larger than normal waves in the racing area.
The Pot is a clean Dulux paint match pot and despite a good test last Sunday from both water in the recess and hull everything that should stay dry did (thank goodness)
Mark
FWAL is offline Find More Posts by FWAL
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by FWAL; Mar 27, 2012 at 02:50 PM. Reason: idiot typing
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:27 PM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Jul 2009
5 Posts
Hey Metman, Go talk to your favorite hull builder or the red boat captain. They have a local and inexpensive fix for you. Just a trip to the bicycle shop involved.
bfox1 is offline Find More Posts by bfox1
Old Mar 28, 2012, 04:33 PM
Joined Nov 2011
101 Posts
running that tube down to the fin box is going to bring water into the pot reses area as the boat sailmove foward, you need that tube going aft for it to work . tony/g
BAJAN SAIL 51 is offline Find More Posts by BAJAN SAIL 51
Old Mar 29, 2012, 02:22 AM
Flying without a licence
Joined Dec 2010
543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJAN SAIL 51 View Post
running that tube down to the fin box is going to bring water into the pot reses area as the boat sailmove foward, you need that tube going aft for it to work . tony/g
This could be the case but I hope not. If there is enough pressure, turbulence to push the water from the fin box up the tube into the pot recess then I would have a serious problem with the fit between the fin and hull, which in turn would cause terrific drag
The fin fits pretty good in the hull. I just need to improve the leading edge slightly as this is the area of maximum pressure build up. The trailing edge has an excellent fit with the hull and there is a small gap on either side. The water that does enter the box is probably affected more by capillary action than external factors.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A day on the Bay
Old Apr 02, 2012, 02:04 PM
Flying without a licence
Joined Dec 2010
543 Posts
The pot recess drainage tube worked All but a small drop would remain in the well and the hull remained pretty much water tight. Her performance was pretty good too and I won yesterdays racing with my lowest ever score of 12 points. I now have just over a month before my next District Event to improve my sailing skills
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A day on the Bay
Old Apr 02, 2012, 04:20 PM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FWAL View Post
The pot recess drainage tube worked All but a small drop would remain in the well and the hull remained pretty much water tight. Her performance was pretty good too and I won yesterdays racing with my lowest ever score of 12 points. I now have just over a month before my next District Event to improve my sailing skills
Does all that sanding seem worthwhile now?
martin richards is online now Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Apr 04, 2012, 05:59 PM
Ireland, Dublin, Howth
Joined Nov 2008
81 Posts
V8

just saw the results of the NZL nats and noticed quite a few new designs, some already tested at the recent Worlds but one in particular is of interest to me as a V6 skipper, saw a v8 there in second place. Was that the latest design from Ian Vickers ? or is it from someone else ?
glouis is offline Find More Posts by glouis
Old Apr 04, 2012, 08:03 PM
United States, CA, Pleasanton
Joined Oct 2004
46 Posts
V-8

Yes the V-8 is Vickers' latest. He is bringing one here to San Francisco soon. He lives here now.

ron
ron locke is offline Find More Posts by ron locke
Old Apr 04, 2012, 08:10 PM
Grant L
Auckland NZ
Joined Nov 2010
39 Posts
NZ Nationals V8

Yes this is the second V8 in the water owned by Paul Goddard who sailed a Drumbeat at the last worlds.Ian has commisioned two builders in NZ to build them and production should start by the end of the month.Ian is still waiting for his boat to arrive so you should get a taste of V8 very shortly.Ian proved to be unbeatable in the short time he had to sail in NZ and the design is very slippery with one of our top sailors having a race and commenting that it was the fastest IOM he has ever sailed and believe me he knows what he is talking about.He ordered one straight away along with around twelve others.Other feed back was that it felt like a Marblehead to sail, very well balanced quick out of tacks and extemely fast off the wind.
PB88 is offline Find More Posts by PB88
Last edited by PB88; Apr 04, 2012 at 09:30 PM.
Old Apr 05, 2012, 02:00 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
826 Posts
V8

Wow, the V8 sounds very promising! is there a link to the NZ nationals.
ToniGe23 is offline Find More Posts by ToniGe23
Last edited by ToniGe23; Apr 05, 2012 at 02:06 AM.
Old Apr 05, 2012, 08:03 AM
United States, MI, Bloomfield Hills
Joined Feb 2010
555 Posts
This should work:

http://radioyachtingnz.wordpress.com...ationals-2012/
TedFlack is offline Find More Posts by TedFlack
Old Apr 05, 2012, 11:02 AM
Ireland, Dublin, Howth
Joined Nov 2008
81 Posts
thanks for your replies -

very happy with my V6 made by Pepe Vinaixa but wouldn't mind a go at Ian's new V8. biggest problem is the cost for some reason they cost a little fortune here (even worse now with the exchange rate to the Euro) - had to get mine second hand from NZL - it's Alec's old one (Blackmagick sails). Have to say very well built if a little heavy and she loves a little chop as she powers through the waves. I struggle a little in the very light wind but otherwise doing quite well. Didn't go for the V7 as didn't think there was enough difference but would definitly go for a V8 if I can get my hands on one and price dependant or I'll have to wait till they come second hand again

I'm the only one sailing Ian's boat here in Ireland so a bit tricky as I have no one else to tune against but I'm still competitive against the other skippers.
Last edited by glouis; Apr 05, 2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old Apr 05, 2012, 10:09 PM
Silly Old Fart
New Zealand, Wellington, Masterton
Joined Mar 2006
219 Posts
Here is a picture of the V8

http://picasaweb.google.com/10871316...05937562250658
CaptainBit is offline Find More Posts by CaptainBit
Old Apr 05, 2012, 10:13 PM
Silly Old Fart
New Zealand, Wellington, Masterton
Joined Mar 2006
219 Posts
And a close up or two....
https://picasaweb.google.com/1087131...14879653509266

https://picasaweb.google.com/1087131...07943018942466
CaptainBit is offline Find More Posts by CaptainBit
Old Apr 06, 2012, 01:59 PM
Ireland, Dublin, Howth
Joined Nov 2008
81 Posts
argghhhh stop so bloody temping ... pity I don't have the finance for it - granted it needs to built somewhere over here in EU first !!! i take it he won't release the plans so I could make my own vs a royalty fee ???