Yes 26 49.06%
No 27 50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 23, 2012, 12:33 PM
Flying without a licence
United Kingdom, Wales, The Mumbles
Joined Dec 2010
578 Posts
Here's a comparison in hull shapes between a Lintel and my VMG. The Lintel is approx 20mm wider and a fair bit fuller at the bow, the beam also cuts in quite rapidly towards the stern. The VMG hasn't had it's final fairing hence it looks a bit rough by comparison
FWAL is online now Find More Posts by FWAL
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: BG's New RG65
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2012, 06:20 PM
Flying without a licence
Joined Dec 2010
578 Posts
The final areas of the decks were rounded off and fibre glassed this evening so it's proving to be a sprint finish to get VMG ready for racing this Sunday
Below are two photo's showing the aft deck including continuous loop, servo apertures, mainsheet horse and mast post.
The designed use of the void in front of the mast post for the jib sheet and loop fairlead coupled with the mast post and main sheet horse really set this design apart from all other IOM's I have seen.
I'm really hoping that the good looks are also reflected in the performance.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 24, 2012, 06:28 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,087 Posts
Here's a tip the pot is in a recess and water will leak through the threads of the pot if submerged the water will climb up,wrap the threads of the pot with plumbers tape.I assume you are going to put a patch over the recess.We have an Errica here that is similar and a patch cannot be applied and it was a nightmare to stop the pot leaking until the tape, put plenty until you feel the threads bind.If you get problems with a leak that forward fairlead for the winch would be it as it will be under water drill it and insert 3 ins of antenna tube and run the string through it that will elevate it above the deck and seal the hole.
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Last edited by The Tug; Mar 24, 2012 at 06:46 AM.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 11:09 PM
Portland Intl, Oregon, United States
Joined Aug 2004
128 Posts
Another pot sealing solution perhaps?

I have been useing large O-rings (aprox 2 3/8 to 2 1/2 in) inside the lid. I also put
a light coating of vaseline on the o-ring and the threads. Purchased the o-rings
from Tacoma Screw but I'm sure any major harware outlet would have them. I took
the lid and pot in to get o-rings for in the lid and on the outside of the pot.
old dodger is offline Find More Posts by old dodger
Old Mar 25, 2012, 03:36 AM
NORTHLAND NEW ZEALAND
New Zealand, Northland, Totara North
Joined Feb 2012
587 Posts
is a ts2 still competitive.
D design is offline Find More Posts by D design
Old Mar 25, 2012, 01:51 PM
Flying without a licence
Joined Dec 2010
578 Posts
Very happy with VMG's Maiden but accidentally hit the rudder on a wooden post prior to the first race, damage was pretty bad considering and she was taking on a fair amount of water.
Between bodged repairs I won at least 3 out of the 8 races I managed to entered
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by FWAL; Mar 25, 2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 02:14 PM
Flying without a licence
Joined Dec 2010
578 Posts
Last but not least
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by FWAL; Mar 25, 2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 04:50 PM
Canada, BC, Lake Cowichan
Joined Jul 2011
508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D design View Post
is a ts2 still competitive.
A good sailor can still do well with a TS2 in local racing. Just that most have moved on to other design themes.

The boat is good in strong winds and on courses with reaching legs (the old triangle/windward/leeward course). Its beam gives good form stability to carry its rigs higher in the wind ranges. Its triangular shape (plan view) creates a longer than 1 meter waterline sailing length.

Its weakness - high wetted surface is not good for light airs, and the wide beam creates a challenge in tight situations, like mark roundings (where a narrow hull can sneak through).

John
hiljoball is online now Find More Posts by hiljoball
Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:08 PM
Flying without a licence
Joined Dec 2010
578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tug View Post
Here's a tip the pot is in a recess and water will leak through the threads of the pot if submerged the water will climb up,wrap the threads of the pot with plumbers tape.I assume you are going to put a patch over the recess.We have an Errica here that is similar and a patch cannot be applied and it was a nightmare to stop the pot leaking until the tape, put plenty until you feel the threads bind.
Hi Tug
Thanks for the heads up. The recess was filling up a bit more than I expected today. But I dont really want to go down the route of another patch especially as I don't use an external switch. However, I think I've come up with a simple solution which just involves drilling a hole from the recess into the back of the fin box and then inserting a tube. I would imagine 99% of the water which then accumulates in the recess could then drain out.
Luckily despite the ingress into the hull no water made it into the pot
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 25, 2012, 06:14 PM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,087 Posts
In heavy weather sailing the tube cannot disperse the water fast enough and water is heavy.
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Mar 26, 2012, 08:43 AM
Calgary Alberta, Canada
Joined Feb 2008
291 Posts
considering you already have a pot that is water tight, try using the thin sanwich wrap by Glad called Press'n Seal. It sticks to smooth surfaces but is not strong enough to be a deck patch on its own but may work to keep the water out in you situation.
A.B. is offline Find More Posts by A.B.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 09:29 AM
Flying without a licence
Joined Dec 2010
578 Posts
I'm going to try this method of keeping the water in the pot recess to a minimum first. So i've just drilled a hole and inserted a plastic tube from the recess into the fin case.
Fingers crossed it will decrease the amount of water in the pot well and not the opposite
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:54 AM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Jul 2009
140 Posts
Pushrod sleeve

Hi guys.. A simple one..

I need to find a flexible sleeve for a 1/16 inch ss pushrod for the rudder on my boat. So inside diameter of 2 mm or 3/32 should work, and I will need to be able to use ca or epox on it to install it.
Any advice welcomed.
Metman is offline Find More Posts by Metman
Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:51 PM
Flying without a licence
Joined Dec 2010
578 Posts
Hi Metman
I think this is what you require. I purchased one for VMG's rudder. Although, I threaded my SS pushrod into the snake inner rather than using glue just so I can micro adjust rather than trimming on the TX, better double check dimensions if you intend to use and existing outer snake tube.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 27, 2012, 01:26 PM
UK
Joined Sep 2002
988 Posts
FWAL

Have you considered modifying the sides of the pot well so they slope outwards and make a natural drain-away for the water.

See photo of the 'Widget', the water drains away from the base of the pot when the boat has the slightest angle of heel.

The pot should be waterproof, check the lid seal and occasionally wipe a small amount of Vaselene on the threads.

Brian
Brian Wa is online now Find More Posts by Brian Wa