Yes 26 49.06%
No 27 50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 22, 2012, 03:57 AM
Cape Town South Africa
Joined Jan 2010
75 Posts
I cannot tell a lie ... before Graham Elliot bites my head off

I have never seen a Britpop in the flesh, but I did watch the 2011 IOM worlds videos over and over again. If you watch the Britpops, one of their most noticeable features is how light the bow is. The bow is out of the water most of the time, far more so than any other boats in the A fleet. Any loss in waterline length in the stronger breezes seems offset by the boats bow riding over the waves, rather than plowing through.

So I built another boat. I used the front half of the black boat, and radically changed the back half based on the Britpop footage.

One of my boats is in the UK and has been compared to the Britpop in shape and I am told that next to each other, they are actually quite different, so I am pleased by that as at leat it is still mostly my "design" and not a copy.

The original chines on the black boat were given some tumble home and the bouyancy at the transom reduced by giving it a rounder underwater shape and also sweeping the chines upward towards the transom.

The end result is a great little boat. It out performs the original in all conditions. Its beautifully balanced and the bow is much lighter, coming out of the water in stronger conditions. Much quicker downwind too because of the lighter bow.

The wider transom of the original boat seemed to cause increasing weather helm as it heeled. The new design stays neutral.

I am suggesting that we need not worry about striving for maximum water line length as the wind increases. The boats seem faster with a "light" bow that climbs rather than cuts or plows through the waves. This may require a boat with a narrow (~100mm) rounded transom and maximum rocker (60mm).

Hopefully this will add some ideas/thoughts to the next person building their own boat.

Some pictures attached.
Craig Richards is offline Find More Posts by Craig Richards
Last edited by Craig Richards; Feb 23, 2012 at 04:59 AM. Reason: Spelling
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2012, 04:04 AM
Cape Town South Africa
Joined Jan 2010
75 Posts
I mucked up the parting board on the original (the boat is split moulded down the middle) ... it shifted slightly as I was making the mould. Its minor, but it niggles to not have the join line exactly in the middle.

The boat was also a bit hard to make with the "smiley" transom, so I have gone for a more traditional transom with teh new mould currently under construction.

To make a split mould without CNC type equipment is a bit tedious, but incase anybody else wants to try, attached is a picture of my plug with nearly all the parting boards in place. Still need to put end caps on etc.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 06:56 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,094 Posts
Hi Craig,

Well done on the design looks great and don't worry about the comments from the English, Brad is still an Aussie, he would have sailed for us if the ARYA weren't so set in there ways with rankings and competing.
Look at all the designs that are out now, Chinez (Looks like a Britpop) Craig Smiths new design (looks like a Britpop) the Britpop (sort of like a Lintel).
Chines are the craze we at Shift Radio Yachts with the help of Bill Curtis from Logic have come up with a redesigned Shadow "the Shadow2" original ah
For all out there it has a flat aft deck and a soft chine from the bow to the fin and hard chine with tumble home to the stern, Bill is over the moon with the way is handles and sails.
We hope to have the first boats leaving our painters here in Oz in the next couple of months.

I will post photos soon or email me if you want them before hand.

Mike
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old Feb 22, 2012, 08:51 AM
Flying without a licence
United Kingdom, Wales, The Mumbles
Joined Dec 2010
537 Posts
I've just finished planking VMG's hull and am very pleased with the results.
I also openly admit to copying every IOM design in some form, apart from those ugly moustaches
FWAL is offline Find More Posts by FWAL
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by FWAL; Feb 22, 2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 01:42 AM
Cape Town South Africa
Joined Jan 2010
75 Posts
Some mould progress. It takes a looonng time to do it all neatly and get a good join line.

Hull plug is 2k paint, waxed and then has PVA brushed on top. I wipe off most of the PVA with water, so the finish is still smooth, but I think the PVA still fills any microscopic imperfections and helps to stop the mould sticking
Old Feb 23, 2012, 04:35 AM
Flying without a licence
Joined Dec 2010
537 Posts
Hi Craig
I'm really impressed with the design and quality of workmanship. I'm sure you're probably stoked as well. I hope all goes well with the rest of the moulding process.
Mark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: PSS Hurricane 66" MK1
Old Feb 23, 2012, 03:39 PM
Joined Sep 2011
18 Posts
Hi Craig,
not allowed to use the wording 'copied' as it sounds too insulting to the people that copy other peoples hard work, we now use 'heavily influenced' much more PC dont you think.
Well done on showing the World how you do a split moulding along the centreline, looks good.
I did see some photos of Simons boat but have not seen it in the flesh, i know Simon is pleased with it. All will be revealed on 3rd and 4th march when we have the first UK ranking race of 2012.
Graham J Elliott is offline Find More Posts by Graham J Elliott
Old Feb 24, 2012, 03:44 AM
Cape Town South Africa
Joined Jan 2010
75 Posts
Hi Graham,

I feel like a failure. Not only was I "heavily influenced", for the back half, but based on a comparison with the Britpop, I did not get particulary close. LOL Cant even get a simple copy right ...

Guess some of those new Italian boats should incorporate 'Cut and Paste' somewhere in the name.

My boat is wider in the middle and has a more traditional waterline shape in the front half. Britpop and new boats are narrower, but with width pushed more forward ... heading towards a rectangle with rounded front end.

At the end of the day the latest iteration is faster than my previous boat, which was closer to the 'Arrival' (built before Arrival appeared) in many aspects.

I just hope Mr Bantock's bow shape on his new boat does not become popular I dont want to be heavily influenced by that!
Old Feb 24, 2012, 04:38 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
Just dipping in to see what is going on, what is all this talk of broad chested boats? I seem to remember being called lucifer for suggesting such a thing!
Robert May is offline Find More Posts by Robert May
Old Feb 24, 2012, 05:18 AM
Cape Town South Africa
Joined Jan 2010
75 Posts
Hi Robert,

New boats are quite different to the design you posted.

Your boat has wide hips and a narrow chest. I.e. New boats are much narower at the mid section and wider at the waterline in the first third.

Your boat also has a very fine V entry and almost flat underwater surfaces. Modern IOM's have U shaped entry and more circular mid sections.

Proof is in the pudding ... build it ... Call it Lucifer :>)
Old Feb 24, 2012, 05:23 AM
Cape Town South Africa
Joined Jan 2010
75 Posts
For those who have not seen the Bantock boat, It looks like this.

ALso see more pictures at:
http://iomitalia.forumitalian.com/t1...etc-iom-design
Old Feb 24, 2012, 05:33 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,094 Posts
Craig,

Here are some more
http://radiosailingshop.com.au/index...page=page&id=1

Know here is something to discuss, does Bantocks new boat break the rules with the no 3mm indent rule ( sorry couldn't be bothered looking it up the rule number)

And Mr May welcome back it's been awhile
Old Feb 24, 2012, 06:20 AM
Flying without a licence
Joined Dec 2010
537 Posts
I'm pretty new to this Class but I would say it doesn't break the 3mm rule. As I understand the rule the 3mm indent has to be measured from the waterline plane i.e. horizontally and not measured from the adjacent hull surfaces.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: PSS Hurricane 66" MK1
Old Feb 24, 2012, 06:32 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,094 Posts
Thanks Mark, I though some like Bantock wouldn't get it wrong.

But it is still ugly.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 06:32 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
When I can have the jib servo and a non governed ratio top suit I will. The broad chest part of the discussion related to the broad chest being the only way to control the diving snout that results from the high aspect ratio of the A rig. The designed you have dug out related to a design where the the rig, like the hull is balanced for sail rather than rudder induced turns.

Being old I can't remember the name of the design, but your new boat very reminicent of Morris Spark's vane marblehead from 1975/6 which I seem to recall being one of Graham's early designs.
Robert May is offline Find More Posts by Robert May