Old Jan 01, 2012, 09:14 AM
Flying without a licence
United Kingdom, Wales, The Mumbles
Joined Dec 2010
537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniGe23 View Post
who's gooseneck you using?
I didn't make the rig it came with the lintel. I did re-route the cunningham when I fitted the new sails. However, it looks practically identical to this one supplied by PJ Wiles (good luck if you intend to purchase one) I'm still waiting for him to quote me for fittings for Primer!
FWAL is offline Find More Posts by FWAL
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: PSS Hurricane 66" MK1
Old Jan 01, 2012, 01:05 PM
k4s
Joined Aug 2009
391 Posts
I wonder if the sidestay attachment methoed may be a problem in regard to measurement rules?
D.2.3(c)
Do any fittings project outboard of the hull shell or deck?

Shame about the rain cancellation.Happened here too.Jetty a foot under water and more of the wet stuff falling out of the sky
k4s is offline Find More Posts by k4s
Old Jan 01, 2012, 02:12 PM
Canada, BC, Maple Ridge
Joined Jul 2011
464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k4s View Post
I wonder if the sidestay attachment methoed may be a problem in regard to measurement rules?
D.2.3(c)
Do any fittings project outboard of the hull shell or deck?

I see no problem. I cannot find any restriction on thwartship overhangs.

The class rule C.7.2 refers to fore and aft overhang.

The measurement form is an aid to the measurer and is not itself a part of the rules.

John
hiljoball is offline Find More Posts by hiljoball
Old Jan 01, 2012, 02:14 PM
Flying without a licence
Joined Dec 2010
537 Posts
I have discussed this with a local measurer and we think that because they don't protrude beyond the beam at their location there shouldn't be a problem. If you look at the photo on the far right you will see that the beam below the shrouds is wider than the shroud fittings. This doesn't mean to say that they definitely within class rules
I do have a back up plan as I have used the inside of a teaspoon to mould two GRP 'fairings' which can be glued to the hull thus making the shrouds terminations inside the hull. I'll take some photo's to show you as it's a bit tricky to explain.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2012, 04:40 PM
Joined Jan 2006
562 Posts
Michael Scharmers boats have fittings that stick out. He did it to get enough width after the deck tapers in. Not sure if they are wider than the hull. You can find photos of his boats Sharming MK8 through ??
slotracer577 is offline Find More Posts by slotracer577
Old Jan 01, 2012, 06:30 PM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,094 Posts
FWAL,

What weight did she come in at?

Mike
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old Jan 02, 2012, 04:27 AM
Flying without a licence
Joined Dec 2010
537 Posts
Hi Mike
Weights:
fin & bulb 2500g
A rig 258g
Hull fully complete with rx and 6V AAA batteries 1192g
Total excluding correctors 3950g
I will sail her a couple of times before deciding the best location for the additional 50g of ballast

Dimensions:
Max beam 220mm
Transom 125mm
center of mast to transom 490mm
center of mast to leading edge of fin 18mm
rocker 42mm
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by FWAL; Jan 02, 2012 at 05:37 AM. Reason: added rocker measurement
Old Jan 02, 2012, 04:53 AM
Flying without a licence
Joined Dec 2010
537 Posts
This design is a little unusual as can be seen in this photo, the bows are probably amongst the most slender I have seen on any IOM. However, the slightly over average beam and hard chines have produced a some what strange feature between the bow and midships.
I had originally planned for a standard waterline from bottom of bow to center of transom but my guessing was I think a little out! Without proof as she hasn't sailed yet I now think the chine line will also be the waterline so the bottom of the bow will be approx 10mm below the waterline.
I can't imagine the bow wave will be any greater due to the sleekness but what I have yet to find out is if the hull will be trimmed to be constantly trying to sail up hill, or to put it another way, trying to sail up the backside of the bow wave. Perhaps, and more by luck than judgement the longitudinal trim will be OK and she might be a good performer.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2012, 05:23 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,094 Posts
Hi FWAL,

I reakon you will either have the next britpop or a flop, I know one thing if you up'ed the bulb a bit it might plan down wind but then might be a pig up wind. Please keep us up dated, we are always wanting new designs.

Also if you want to drop the weight try one of these batteries
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ever_Pack.html
Works great with a an Eurgle.

Mike
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old Jan 02, 2012, 05:55 AM
Flying without a licence
Joined Dec 2010
537 Posts
Hi Mike
During the Youtube vids of last years Worlds! Peter Allen said something like "when you are at the top there's only one place to go" then pointed down.
I've got a feeling I could be starting at the bottom and hopefully the only place to go will be up
Whatever happens it's been a great learning experience, I will miss not thinking about the design or construction of this boat and look forward to gaining the feedback of her sailing ability be it good or bad. I already have a few ideas for my next design but that wont be happening for a good few months. My next project is a 44" lightweight, super agile flying wing slightly smaller and more acrobatic than my wildthing seen here at a local beach headland.
Wildthing (4 min 13 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2012, 09:32 AM
Flying without a licence
Joined Dec 2010
537 Posts
Some thoughts regarding the shrouds being terminated in the hull side and not the decks:

1st question is to decide if the shroud is part of the rigging or a fitting?

If it's rigging then only rule c.7.2 applies:
The rig shall not project beyond the fore and aft ends of the hull

If it's a fitting then rule d.2.3 (c) applies;

(c) Fittings shall not project outboard of the hull shell or deck

However, in the case of primer the shroud does not attach to a fitting outboard of the hull, the fitting is a hole drilled into the hull so doesn't project

I don't think I'll ever find myself in a position to have to put these facts forward to validate it's strictly within IOM rules
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2012, 06:18 PM
Broughty Ferry, Dundee, Scotland
Joined Feb 2006
125 Posts
FWAL
When is a fitting not a fitting and when is rigging not rigging. Semantics here!
I would be of the opinion that 'Rigging' is the flexible part of the rig and as soon as that part changes to a machined 'Fitting' then it is no longer 'Rigging'.

Is the tail of the bottle screw permanantly fixed into the hull?. If so, then it is definitely a 'Fitting'.

No matter which way you look at it, anything protruding from the gunwhale, even tho' still inside the overall beam of the boat at that point is still a danger to other competitors. I would far rather be side swiped by a smooth gunwhale than one with a protrusion even as small as 1.25mm s/s wire.

Your statement:-"I don't think I'll ever find myself in a position to have to put these facts forward to validate it's strictly within IOM rules", smacks very much as an announcement that you dont care much about the 'Spirit' of the IOM rules, nor your intention to have your boat properly certificated.

I appreciate that you are out on a limb as far as your design is concerned, and admire your effort to stretch the bounderies, but I hope that your club measurer asks the advice of the Tech. Committee before signing the measurement form.

Regards,
Ralph Knowles
Sen. Measurer
Scot. District. MYA
isisagoodun is offline Find More Posts by isisagoodun