No 27 50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 07, 2011, 12:03 PM
Gloucestershire, UK
Joined Oct 2006
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingg View Post
From reading peoples comments, I would like to add my personal comments regarding the Britpop!
Being one of the five people so far lucky enough to race this excellent design, I would like to report on the advantages of the boat which I have personally experienced.

The Britpop's balance is superb, it almost sails itself. Its pointing ability is just how I like it, not too sharp that it is an annoyance, but when the wind picks up it goes and seeks upwind.
With it being so beautifully balanced, it allows you time and opportunity to think tactics and sail the course. Surely Brad is the current Adrian Newey of the IOM world?

Its speed advantage is real, giving you a safety net in case of any 'cock ups'. Sailing it I honestly felt that I had a real opportunity to catch up other boats and improve.

My results in the national championships just gone, were on a par with the previous year. But please remember that not every course suits everyone and we all have our off days, when things just don't go right. A NE wind at Eastbourne meant that we were sailing away from ourselves all weekend, making starts and the course generally more difficult.
Being a grey boat meant that it wasn't the easiest boat to see at a distance. And quite different to what I am used to, with my off white Isis with fluro patches all over. I now see why Brad’s boats are bright in colour!

Previous practise in sailing Graham Elliott's 109 (thank-you Graham!) at Birkenhead, was great. Racing against a 20+ fleet, of mixed ability including some of the best skippers around, the boat rewarded me with a 3rd place finish overall.

Victoria's finishing position was particularly good, when considering previous results at the UK nationals. Using her boat boat which won the 2011 world championship, she achieved a finishing position of 29th (mid B fleet) which was an improvement of 20 positions on her 49th from the previous year. She was top girl skipper from a total of 6. Well done!

My finishing position was 31st, and whilst sailing one of the fastest IOM's in the world, I had what I can only describe as being the knob at the end of the stick (brain failure!).
Starts were awful, and I frequently managed to get myself in a pickle. Sailing in a club with less than half a dozen boats is not the ideal preparation but I do look forward to sorting this through more racing against the guys from Birkenhead.

I have an early order for a BritPOP which I look forward to receiving & racing. I see it as an opportunity to get my ranking position within the top 10 within the next 2 years when I learn to race at the next level more consistently.
In short, with the way I sailed the Nationals, I feel my result would have been far worse without the ability to recover from some dire situations, but as always, everyone is entitled to their opinion on the Britpops performance. I’m happy with my choice!
Well said Greg.....it's never easy sailing a boat of that potential for the first time in a major event like the UK Nats....the pressure will always get the better of you, especially when others have high expectations. Eastbourne is not the greatest of venues, and I suffered the same fate with Martin's Viper the previous year at the same venue. Give it time! Looking forward to some good winter practice with you guys...maybe a trip or two to Birkenhead.

Cheers

Simon
simonc94 is offline Find More Posts by simonc94
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2011, 12:06 PM
Gloucestershire, UK
Joined Oct 2006
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullyelvis View Post
from Bob Dunlap SBMYC. thanks Bob!

Well, it’s over! “B” rig conditions prevailed throughout the final day, Racing ended at 3:00 pm EST

Top 10:

1. Brad Gibson Britpop 33

2. Tony Gonsalves Lintle 85 (Tony dropped out of the final heat when his winch failed.)

3. Peter Allen Lintle 101

4. Craig Macky Lintle 116

5. Dennis Rogers Britpop 117

6. Zack Aleya Topico 129

7. Richard Silverman Lintle 130

8. Peter Huttemeier Chienz 202

9. Jon Elmaleh own design “ IE2 ” 203

10. Peter Van Rossem Topico 213

Complete score sheet will be sent as soon as it is made available.
Well done Brad, Tony & Rabbit. Good to see my BAR friends up there too!
simonc94 is offline Find More Posts by simonc94
Old Nov 07, 2011, 08:18 PM
United States, MI, Bloomfield Hills
Joined Jan 2011
54 Posts
Photos US Nats.

I know you guys are probably buggered after the US Nationals but when you guys recover can someone post some photos. That would be great.
Sounds like you had some good breeze.
Thanks again...
Fizzzy.............
fizzzy is offline Find More Posts by fizzzy
Old Nov 07, 2011, 08:27 PM
Canada, BC, Strathcona
Joined Jul 2011
537 Posts
photos at

https://picasaweb.google.com/1139786...70103455440178

John
hiljoball is online now Find More Posts by hiljoball
Old Nov 08, 2011, 12:05 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniGe23 View Post
Interesting to see the new Cheinz in eighth position I understand these are designed by the Australian Jeff Byerley anybody know of or got pictures of this boat
Yeah Toni rumour has it we have got three on their way to our club all replacing Mad Max's
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old Nov 08, 2011, 10:55 AM
USA-Michigan
Joined Feb 2008
108 Posts
Finally home from the US Nationals, 22 hour drive after four days of sailing in the sun was pretty tough.

The event was really fun with good wind, long courses and many chances to mess up (at least for me).

The vast majority of the event was sailed in mid to top of the "A" rig and on Sunday the "B" rig was used by most sailors. Fred Rocha and his small group of helpers did a fantastic job as usual running the race. It was great fun to see all the sailors from all across the USA, a really good group of people. In this country we are spread out quite far (3000 miles or more apart) and only get to see each other once or twice a year.

My son and I both had some mechanical and electrical issues which dropped us several places but overall we were quite happy. Our BG rigs were really working well and the next time we race a major event we will have our new Britpops to go along with the rigs.....can't wait for that!

Congratulations to Brad Gibson and all the other top sailors for a job well done.

Ted
Ted Flack is offline Find More Posts by Ted Flack
Old Nov 08, 2011, 11:43 AM
Joined Jan 2006
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by john m taylor View Post
just a quick message whilst i am still in the airport. the championship was a great success, perfect venue, good wind speed and the socials were great also.
i suffered badly with radio problems throughout the event and had to sit out all of the last day. i think i am going to sack my planet, 2.4ghz radio set and invest in some new gear at christmas.

great event but thinking of sailing somewhere else next year. maybe south africa???

jt
Hi John, sorry to read about your problems but Planet radio gear is not a full range system, the range depends on the surroundings and in yachts where the rx aerial is often near or below water level it is asking too much for these sets. The note below is taken from the importers web site and refers mainly to aircraft which have a greater range than surface craft.

“Important note - equipment range
Be aware that Planet T5 is not a ‘full range’ system and should only be used at ranges of up to around 100 metres. Always perform a range check before use! Planet 5 has been tested with many types of models and operated at ranges significantly greater than that recommended. However, 2.4GHz equipment can be affected by terrain, weather and obstacles to a greater degree than conventional 35mHz R/C equipment. Therefore, do not be tempted to exceed the specifications described in detail in the instruction manual!”

The Futaba 6J that expat flyer mentions seems to be a good set having read the specs and at approx £120 for Tx and Rx is a competitive price for good 2.4 gear. Also there is the Hitec Optic 6 2.4 for a similar price.
I used to use a Spektrum DX6i but had a few quality issues with it so now I use a Multiplex Cockpit SX 2.4 set which is a bit more pricey at £200 and really overkill for yachts but I also use it for my model aircraft and it lets me easily swap between mode 2 which we use for yachts and mode 1 which I use for my gliders without having to mess swapping springs around on the stick units, just a quick twiddle with an allen key through the case and the left stick changes from freely moving to self centring.

Hope you get sorted soon.

Steve
llamedos is offline Find More Posts by llamedos
Old Nov 08, 2011, 11:58 AM
Calgary Alberta, Canada
Joined Feb 2008
297 Posts
I was giifted a used IOM jib and was wondering what brand it was? it has a Large V on the luff?
A.B. is online now Find More Posts by A.B.
Old Nov 08, 2011, 04:30 PM
USA-Michigan
Joined Feb 2008
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.B. View Post
I was giifted a used IOM jib and was wondering what brand it was? it has a Large V on the luff?
Vector sails, Jake Leo.

http://vectorsails.webs.com/
Old Nov 08, 2011, 06:49 PM
Joined Sep 2011
18 Posts
'interesting to see the CHEINZ in 8th position, anyone got any pictures'

If you go to the 2011 worlds website or BG sails and design website there are loads of pictures of 39 and 42, these are BritPops! not Cheinz.

Spot the differance?
Graham J Elliott is offline Find More Posts by Graham J Elliott
Last edited by Graham J Elliott; Nov 09, 2011 at 04:12 AM. Reason: wrong
Old Nov 09, 2011, 03:31 AM
Toulouse
Joined Jan 2007
245 Posts
Graham

http://iomdesign.wordpress.com/2011/...93-iii/cheinz/

or the maestro's site

http://www.rc-yachts.net/mirage/

Jerry
expat flyer is offline Find More Posts by expat flyer
Old Nov 09, 2011, 11:02 AM
USA, LA, Mandeville
Joined Feb 2005
886 Posts
More photos

More pictures of the IOM Nats at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hew_ham...7628087098862/
hew565 is offline Find More Posts by hew565
Old Nov 09, 2011, 05:27 PM
Joined Nov 2011
107 Posts
some more pictures from the US nationals thanks to Don THompson
https://picasaweb.google.com/1139786...63628872003762
BAJAN SAIL 51 is offline Find More Posts by BAJAN SAIL 51
Old Nov 10, 2011, 09:16 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by john m taylor View Post
just a quick message whilst i am still in the airport. the championship was a great success, perfect venue, good wind speed and the socials were great also.
i suffered badly with radio problems throughout the event and had to sit out all of the last day. i think i am going to sack my planet, 2.4ghz radio set and invest in some new gear at christmas.

great event but thinking of sailing somewhere else next year. maybe south africa???

jt
Hi John,i'm the idiot that drove you to the airport,i know you were having probs,i can recomend HiTec the Optic 6 not the sport model is a robust and very capable radio with it's programming features and bulletproof link,i've never had a glitch $200,you can program a mix slaving channel 3 to the master and assign to a switch for squeezing the winch,expo dual rates for the rudder and all the palapa.My happiest day was selling my spektrum.Cheers
The Tug is online now Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Nov 10, 2011, 01:57 PM
USA-Michigan
Joined Feb 2008
108 Posts
I have a question for my IOM friends around the world.

I am the Fleet Captain for my local IOM fleet, we sail every Monday evening and for next season we are thinking about doing a handicap scoring system every other week. We are thinking about a Gold Fleet one week which will be hard core racing and the next week a Silver Fleet with handicap scoring. The Silver Fleet Series would be run at a slower pace between races and more time spent helping each other with tuning and tactics, we may even stop after every race and let the guy that won that race explain how he won the race.

My question is: Any thoughts on a handicap scoring system and if any of you guys have tried this in your local fleets did it work.

Thoughts please.

Ted