Yes 26 49.06%
No 27 50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 02, 2010, 03:06 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
424 Posts
pchicken,

Is that short for "psycho chicken"? Song by Devo.

My post claiming Ozzies make the best IOMs was my being flippant. Said with a sense of facetious merriment. I don't see how a country can influence the quality of its IOM designs. Granted it's a miracle the UK has any aquatically related activities. In 'old blightey' if the temp hits 30 C it's a heat wave. Time to roll up the trousers, tie knots in the hanky for head gear, and down to Brighton to stand, knee deep, in the North Sea . You have Kylie, Rolf Harris and Brad Gibson. All helping to raise the English talent pool.
How does the nationality of an IOM champion for one year equate to all the IOMs of that country being better? Sounds as sensible as the Yanks having a World Series in Baseball (with only US teams). Which country has the best IOMs. On a per capita basis and for club activity I'd say New Zealand. With a population of only 3 million - 1 million of which live here in Oz. It's surprising to see the amount of RC sailing over there. So; my vote goes to the Kiwis as the better IOM nation! And cheap too. With the NZ dollar only worth 2 rocks and a stick, IOMs sell for peanuts. All of these thought are of course ridiculous. For the record I am Russian. Hence all Russians are erudite wordsmiths with warped, vodka addled senses of New Year funsky .

Mike -- post a pic of NZ Tempest or a link. It already sounds good by being a Kiwi boat.

Comrade Larry

English person dressed for a day by the seaside...........

larrykin is offline Find More Posts by larrykin
Last edited by larrykin; Jan 02, 2010 at 03:15 PM. Reason: add photo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2010, 04:21 PM
k4s
Joined Aug 2009
391 Posts
NZ built Tempest.
Carl pulled out all the stops and produced this boat for me in a real quick time.It replaces a Vapour2 (also one of Carls boats)the met an unfortunate end.
The two boats are surprizingly different to sail and set up...loving finding out the little things that are different between the two
Ghost...the grey one is the Tempest
Kiwi2....the white one is the Vapour2,,,,,named after the real boat KIWI
k4s is offline Find More Posts by k4s
Old Jan 02, 2010, 04:26 PM
k4s
Joined Aug 2009
391 Posts
The real boat.....KIWI
Old Jan 02, 2010, 04:31 PM
k4s
Joined Aug 2009
391 Posts
Tempest out of the water with the B rig and some fat bloke
Old Jan 02, 2010, 04:35 PM
k4s
Joined Aug 2009
391 Posts
May have been mentioned before...this is where I do most of my sailing...2 hour drive,but worth it.Good bunch of guys and great water..fresh and spring fed so its always there.

http://www.ohope.co.nz/iom/index.html
Old Jan 02, 2010, 06:45 PM
Joined Dec 2009
72 Posts
Ohh Larry, nice reply. I did indeed take your statement in jest with the funny face and all. I actually used the same funny face. Plenty of good boats about in all places. A fact that UK IOM designs have won more IOM World Championships than any other helps to balance your comment that was made in jest. Don't be so sensitive
Agree with the Kiwi talent pool though some of their best are based over this way also Ian Vickers, Trevor Bamforth and Andrea Roberts

k4s
Is Geoff Smale still getting about?
pchicken is offline Find More Posts by pchicken
Old Jan 02, 2010, 07:20 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
424 Posts
IOM Build Pics

G'day mates,

thought before I finish would take a few quick pics of my second IOM build. Yes the bulkhead looks rough but all it's doing is spreading the hull and holding up the deck. Plus holding the mast ram's wood block. The block is crooked because I can't drill a straight blind hole .
Next whack in servo drum cross braces and start painting deck and hull. Then install electrics, test and glue together.
Have mast tube ready for cutting and a set of Housemartin 'A' rig sails ready. Plus generic kicker and boom vang, etc. Bought sails as a test to see how much difference there is compared to sails I make. Having 2 identical IOMs should be easy to compare.
Next pics will be finished IOM.

Larry.
Old Jan 02, 2010, 07:54 PM
k4s
Joined Aug 2009
391 Posts
Is Geoff Smale still getting about?

Yep,putting all us youngsters to shame
Old Jan 02, 2010, 07:55 PM
Joined Dec 2009
72 Posts
Boat looks good Larry

How is she for weight? Do you find any problems mounting the rudder servo above deck with any water ingress?
Old Jan 03, 2010, 01:11 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,096 Posts
pchicken

Quote:
A fact that UK IOM designs have won more IOM World Championships than any other helps to balance your comment that was made in jest.
England 4 world cups
Australia 3
Bantock and Smith both on 2

(dating back to 1994 couldn't find any more beyond that)

But the funny thing is if you look at the results over the years where Aus has won you normally see Bantock 2nd or visa versa GBR wins Smith 2nd.

So the poms are ahead in the cups but not by much and as for Brad he still races under the Australian Flag and wears it with pride, look at London they have half the Australian population living and working there.

As for the best Australian boat can't wait to see the Mad Max at the next Worlds in GBR if it goes as good as what it has here in Australia watch out every thing else, reasoning look at the recent NSW state champs 10 Mad Max's in the top 20 also they got 1st, 2nd and third, not bad.

Larry,

Looking good, is it another Noux?

Mike
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Last edited by 8387mike; Jan 03, 2010 at 01:22 AM. Reason: more info
Old Jan 03, 2010, 05:33 AM
Joined Dec 2009
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8387mike View Post
pchicken

England 4 world cups
Australia 3
Bantock and Smith both on 2

(dating back to 1994 couldn't find any more beyond that)

But the funny thing is if you look at the results over the years where Aus has won you normally see Bantock 2nd or visa versa GBR wins Smith 2nd.

So the poms are ahead in the cups but not by much and as for Brad he still races under the Australian Flag and wears it with pride, look at London they have half the Australian population living and working there.

As for the best Australian boat can't wait to see the Mad Max at the next Worlds in GBR if it goes as good as what it has here in Australia watch out every thing else, reasoning look at the recent NSW state champs 10 Mad Max's in the top 20 also they got 1st, 2nd and third, not bad.

?

Mike
Hi Mike

1994 Bantock Red Wine? UK (design)
1997 Smith TS2 AUS
1999 Bantock Ikon UK
2001 Roberts Gadget UK
2003 Binks Isis UK
2005 Smith Obsession AUS
2007 Gibson Widget UK
2009 Jelacic Pikanto UK

I did say UK designs not skippers and we were talking about boats I thought. As you can see UK designs have won 6 out of 8 World Championships and every European Championship as far as I can gather. Not too bad i'd say

The Mad Max does seem in Australia to be a good boat but could not reach the top 10 at the 2008 Europeans. I believe they are also being made here now, though none have featured as yet. I'm sure in Paul Jones hands it would near the front of any fleet as he too took up and learned his model sailing here in the UK winning several National Championships in 2 classes before he returned to AUS. On your MAD MAX logic we could look out also for the whole Croatian team at the next Worlds as they all sail Bantock Pikanto's.
I hear Brad may be jumping ship due to not being able to qualify back in AUS anyway. Good for us!
Old Jan 03, 2010, 07:33 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,096 Posts
Well Mr P Chicken i will say that you have put me back in my box, i can't argue with those numbers, as for the Mad max being made over there are they clones? as for next worlds you may well be right they have turned into a force. But i still feel that the Mad Max in the wrongs hands is a good boat put it in the right hands and it will be winner.
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old Jan 03, 2010, 10:25 AM
Joined Dec 2009
72 Posts
Hi Mike,

Definately not a "clone" as thankfully that is a practice that is frowned upon in these parts. They are being made from moulds sent across from the deisigner by Mike Clifton. Mike also does the Cockatoo as well. http://www.cmyachts.co.uk/
I agree that in the right hands any decent boat will be a world beater. Looking forward to what unfolds over here between now and the 2011 UK Worlds with regards to new designs. Already we have seen the new Mark Dicks "Viper" prototype finish 3rd at the UK Nationals sailed by Martin Roberts after showing good speed.
Old Jan 03, 2010, 01:46 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
826 Posts
Hi,
I have been reading this thread with great interest as I have been sailing IOM's for about 2 months after 25 years in R/C F3j thermal soaring. Brad will be sailing a new British yacht called an ARRIVAL for 2010 I know he took delivery of it just at the end of the sailing season in 09 no doubt it's going to be a up there with the top boats.
I also have an ARRIVAL it's my first boat but I believe that if you want to do well you need a competitive boat first then I can blame myself not the boat for bad performance
ToniGe23 is offline Find More Posts by ToniGe23
Last edited by ToniGe23; Jan 03, 2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old Jan 03, 2010, 03:29 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pchicken View Post
Boat looks good Larry

How is she for weight? Do you find any problems mounting the rudder servo above deck with any water ingress?
The weights are; hull 630g deck 240g servos 160g. Bulb will be 2200g. That's 3230g so far. Batteries 140g > 3370g. Looks like I'll be well over 4000g.

Rudder servo deck mounted and water ingress. As the caption said; this is copying the Maximuss build. Looks like an elegant way to mount a rudder servo. If it looks like water can get in I'll use a thin gasket. The corners of the support plate will be screwed down onto the deck.

Below photos courtesy of Ed Morales --