No 27 50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 27, 2011, 07:27 AM
USA-Michigan
Joined Feb 2008
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rssailor View Post
I have no way to determine if the keel or rig are in the same place as a Bantok built Pikanto. Ryan

Where are you located, there are a lot of Pikanto's in California.

It is pretty easy to measure the mast and keel location, then measure from the middle band to the transom.
Ted Flack is offline Find More Posts by Ted Flack
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2011, 10:28 AM
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
892 Posts
Pikanto Tuning

Ted,
I am in the Bay Area and have been sailing with the North Bay group and I have not had any luck here with anybody volunteering to help me figure this out yet.
So far, Craig Smith sent me a Pikanto drawing with rake info, but it is not the right rake. Have read the Bantok info on Pikantos, but there is no rake info there. Emailed Sailsetc and got email back from him saying I need to talk to the builder. I have exchanged emails with Peter Morris and he says he can't help me. Another guy in Australia offer to see what his rake and tuning info was for his Pikanto, but he never got back to me. The former owner is a strange dude who dragged his heels sending the boat and did not follow thru on parts of his deal. But that is another story, so no tuning info is going to come from him either. So that leaves me in the dark. Ryan
Rssailor is offline Find More Posts by Rssailor
Old Oct 27, 2011, 11:01 AM
Joined Jul 2011
101 Posts
Rs
You say the boat is realy nice and very fast.
If that's the case then I would'nt worry what someone else told me the rake should be.
Seems you've already found it.
Psychosis is offline Find More Posts by Psychosis
Old Oct 27, 2011, 11:36 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
857 Posts
Pikanto Tuning

Hi Ryan,
Don't give up on the boat it's nothing to do with the boat but much to do with the tuning I have just assembled my Pikanto and took some pictures of it. The measurement from top of the middle band on the mast to the end of the transom is 62 1/4 inches.

The hull will be the same whoever is building the boat as there from the same plug only the appendages are different on the Croatian boats the fin on the Croatian boat is slightly further back and the bulb is positoned differently. I understand that all the other Pikantos built around the World under licence would be as the Sailsetc ones but the builder may change the top deck.
ToniGe23 is online now Find More Posts by ToniGe23
Old Oct 27, 2011, 12:50 PM
Joined Nov 2010
892 Posts
pikanto tuning

Toni
Great pictures. Is yours a CROA built boat? If so rake is gonna be different for my boat as you keel is in a different spot than mine or so I have been told. Ryan
Last edited by Rssailor; Oct 28, 2011 at 12:34 AM.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 03:58 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
857 Posts
Pikanto tuning

Hi Ryan,
Yes it's a Croatian built boat I am going to PM your please check your messages.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 05:10 PM
UK
Joined Sep 2002
988 Posts
Tony

Do you adjust the rake of the mast with the No 1 rig for different wind strengths ?

Brian
Brian Wa is offline Find More Posts by Brian Wa
Old Oct 28, 2011, 12:33 AM
Joined Nov 2010
892 Posts
Pikanto pictures

Here are two pictures of my boat. One not so good as my camera is old and just has to slow of shudder speed. Gonna do some tuning with another IOM Pikanto sailor in a few weeks. Thanks for all the advice. Ryan
Old Oct 28, 2011, 01:20 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
857 Posts
Last edited by ToniGe23; Oct 28, 2011 at 04:15 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 03:34 AM
Cape Town South Africa
Joined Jan 2010
89 Posts
Hi Rssailor,

The only way to get really fast is to ignore measurements and learn to sail the boat based on feel.

Every boat will be slightly different even if they come out of identical moulds as masts bend differently, we all run different rigging tensions and the sail shapes are not exactly the same.

As a starting point, the A rig is pretty much vertical, with maybe 1 degree of aft rake.

You then need to decide how you want the boat to sail ... Neutral and fast, or high point mode with associated weather helm and maybe a bit less speed.

The mast should be fairly straight for the lower half and then have one or two cm bend above that depending on backstay tension. Again this depends entirely on the cut of your sail. You want as much forestay tension a possible (you might need to put some prebend in the mast) as a soggy forestay destroys pointing on the A rig unless its very light.

The jib slot should be about three fingers wide and have enough twist so that the bottom two thirds of the leach is parallel with the back of the main whilst beating.

There are many good articles on the internet explaining how to set up the main, but in short, the amount of twist and fullness in the top half of the main seems to affect the boats behaviour more than any other single factor.

You need to decide where the boat is slow ... we are all assuming upwind I guess Are you not pointing, do you have too much helm?

If you want the boat to point, then tighten up on the kicker (boom vang) as a first step. The top of the main should still twist off slightly. If the boat now generates to much weather helm, ease off on the vang a bit, but if you get near your starting settting (with too much helm) then consider putting a bit more vang on again and putting the mast more vertical.

If the leach is already quite tight and the boat is not pointing with neutral or lee helm, then rake the mast further aft.

The best way to get the main set up is to look from behind whilst beating and then compare that shape to the hundreds of pictures of Brad Gibson etc available all over the internet. If the shape is right, then fiddle with the rake to get the feel you want.

I like a little bit of weather helm upwind, just enough so that one or two clicks on the rudder trim switch cancells it out.

The B and C rigs need more aft rake as their sail balance if different. The B rig is two to three degrees and the C rig is typically close to four degrees on boats with a narrow transom.

There are lots of good sailors on this forum, so send some pictures of your boat sailing from the side and behind and tell us what needs improving and we will try to help.
Craig Richards is offline Find More Posts by Craig Richards
Old Oct 28, 2011, 11:07 AM
Joined Nov 2010
892 Posts
Toni,
Pictures shows the boat at rest with the rig totally eased for storage. Pictures were only meant to show what the boat looks like. I get tomorrow off and will fiddle with the boat and see what I can do with all the helpful advice I have been getting.
Fyi, the existing mast ram is most likely going away to be replaced with one mounted in the bulkhead just forward of the mast. The existing mast ram works very poorly as is cracked all the way through. Ryan
Old Oct 28, 2011, 12:30 PM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,075 Posts
Looks like you are going to have to do it by feel,there's good advise in the above post,as we sail these boats with a one design rig with everything set up and ready to go the main boom being parallel to the deck would be a good starting point and work off of that.Cheers
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Oct 28, 2011, 01:16 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
857 Posts
for first time setting up I put the boat on its stand level next to a door frame in the house then eye the mast vertical to the door frame that way you should be nearly right then start from there.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 06:48 PM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,107 Posts
Had a great day sailing yesterday, middle of A rig, Handicap and about 15 IOM's on one course and 8-10 10R on the other, Who ever said 10R's are dying in Perth Western Australia needs to wake up and smell the roses, 6 months ago you would see about 3-4 at this lake.
I know this IOM but more on that in a minute, watching those 10Rs was amazing, the speed with which can do almost made me want to finish my old girl.

My day was ok but like a lot of other skippers I am not a fan of shifty winds, best for the day was a 3rd and after getting a little fine tuning help, the Lunatic really took off (shame the skipper couldn't get any fine tuning, hit both top marks in one leg).
Hopefully I will be sailing next Saturday and we will see how she sails then.
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old Nov 01, 2011, 07:07 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,075 Posts
Well it's off to the US nats this weekend,Windguru has gracefully dropped the wind right out for the latter part of the week only to bring it back on Monday after it's over,my boat just loves that weather not.
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug