Joined Jan 2011
2,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aralross View Post
Peter,

The list is on the NCR site:
http://2011iomncr.wordpress.com/
Only 8 so far
2 of us from La. will be attending, but not registered yet.
Still trying to finish my Lintel rigs

Al
That doc won't open for me.
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2011, 03:28 PM
Mandeville, La.
Joined Mar 2007
10 Posts
Peter,
Here is the latest list;

Ray Degenais
Gary Boell
Roberto Mesnick
Zach Alyea
Bill Langjahr
John Mackey
Stephen Cohen
Eric Arndt
Peter Allen
Doc Hoyas
Peter Knox
Dane Maingot
Tony Gonsalves
Jeff Weiss
John Taylor
aralross is offline Find More Posts by aralross
Old Oct 03, 2011, 03:48 PM
USA-Michigan
Joined Feb 2008
108 Posts
Bobby and I are entered but didn't make this list.

Where the heck are all the entries?

Ted
Ted Flack is offline Find More Posts by Ted Flack
Old Oct 03, 2011, 09:14 PM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2004
108 Posts
Hi Guys,
Its been a lont time since I have made a post as I have been busy at work and have taken a back seat in the racing scene.

2 years ago when the Volvo around the world race came to Singapore, I had the prevallage to speak to some of the sailors and they mentioned that at the speeds we have (below 20 knots) a polished hull or matt hull really does not make a difference. For higher speeds a polished hull is preferred. I guess it stands for debate.

On one hand, the rubbed down hull breaks surface tension but a polished hull reduces parasite drag???? which is the raod better travelled??? Your guess is as goos as mine.

For me I concentrate on sail tuning which in my opinion makes a more dramatic difference in boat speed.

Cheers!
scully is offline Find More Posts by scully
Old Oct 03, 2011, 09:31 PM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,109 Posts
Scully,
If you are still after a fast boat have a look at Barry Chisams Psycho, I have the prototype and finally got it tuned on weekend and held my own against some fast boats instead chasing them
Results
http://www.clrsc.com/index.php?optio...iling&Itemid=3

Would have done better had it not been for radio problems and leaving after 10 races
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old Oct 03, 2011, 10:50 PM
USA-Michigan
Joined Feb 2008
108 Posts
Reading material about surface finish:

http://www.maasboats.com/articles/Th...OfPaddling.pdf
Ted Flack is offline Find More Posts by Ted Flack
Old Oct 04, 2011, 01:04 AM
Germany
Joined Mar 2009
513 Posts
Thanks for that article Ted, it is great reading and puts everything in real perspective bewteen my ears anyway

Cheers Alan
KoneWone is offline Find More Posts by KoneWone
Old Oct 04, 2011, 02:33 PM
Ireland, Dublin, Howth
Joined Nov 2008
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scully View Post
Hi Guys,
Its been a lont time since I have made a post as I have been busy at work and have taken a back seat in the racing scene.

2 years ago when the Volvo around the world race came to Singapore, I had the prevallage to speak to some of the sailors and they mentioned that at the speeds we have (below 20 knots) a polished hull or matt hull really does not make a difference. For higher speeds a polished hull is preferred. I guess it stands for debate.

On one hand, the rubbed down hull breaks surface tension but a polished hull reduces parasite drag???? which is the raod better travelled??? Your guess is as goos as mine.

For me I concentrate on sail tuning which in my opinion makes a more dramatic difference in boat speed.

Cheers!
I agree with you, having a clean hull is important - no doubt there but whether using nano technology lubricant to fill the micro pores of the hull is questionable in my view as I am not sure it really makes that much difference on a hull our size or at the speed they go. In my view there are so many other areas we can loose out through a race like, start, tactics, boat handling, tuning, rules. So many parameters to keep the boat tuning optimum on changing wind and sea conditions. It often comes down to the basics, keeping the boat going fast and pointing in the right direction. just my view
glouis is offline Find More Posts by glouis
Old Oct 04, 2011, 04:38 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glouis View Post
I agree with you, having a clean hull is important - no doubt there but whether using nano technology lubricant to fill the micro pores of the hull is questionable in my view as I am not sure it really makes that much difference on a hull our size or at the speed they go. In my view there are so many other areas we can loose out through a race like, start, tactics, boat handling, tuning, rules. So many parameters to keep the boat tuning optimum on changing wind and sea conditions. It often comes down to the basics, keeping the boat going fast and pointing in the right direction. just my view
Sounds like when i go fishing, you have guys with fishing gear worth hundreds. Then you have guys with simple fishing gear. The guy that learns to fish and trust his gear will out fish even the most expensive gear you can find.
gpzy is offline Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Oct 07, 2011, 02:31 PM
Ireland, Dublin, Howth
Joined Nov 2008
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzy View Post
Sounds like when i go fishing, you have guys with fishing gear worth hundreds. Then you have guys with simple fishing gear. The guy that learns to fish and trust his gear will out fish even the most expensive gear you can find.
Yes and no cos boat designs have come a long way over the past years and when you look at Craig who won the WC with his ts2 now it is difficult to win with it - don't get me wrong I love the TS2 as i campaigned one for years - so you need to have a boat that is capable of doing well. on the other hand having the best boat will not guarantee its owner to do well.

I find also that time on the water is key to doing well - probably why I'm not doing too well lately
glouis is offline Find More Posts by glouis
Old Oct 08, 2011, 05:51 PM
Southampton UK
Joined Dec 2006
94 Posts
Help please - i live in southampton UK and looking for a secondhand ISIS or Cockatooo in good condition - money waiting for the right boat .Only need A rigs if thats an issue and have transmitter and reciever ready to fit - prepared to travel a reasonable distance for the right boat - does anyone know please of a boat that meet reqts for sale - many thanks
FLYTILIDIE is offline Find More Posts by FLYTILIDIE
Old Oct 08, 2011, 07:14 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYTILIDIE View Post
Help please - i live in southampton UK and looking for a secondhand ISIS or Cockatooo in good condition - money waiting for the right boat .Only need A rigs if thats an issue and have transmitter and reciever ready to fit - prepared to travel a reasonable distance for the right boat - does anyone know please of a boat that meet reqts for sale - many thanks
Hi,
I may be able to help you have a PM!
ToniGe23 is offline Find More Posts by ToniGe23
Old Oct 11, 2011, 07:04 AM
Cape Town South Africa
Joined Jan 2010
89 Posts
I managed to build three boats in under a month for our local national champs. Not much sleep and a strained marriage but the boats managed a 1,2,4.

Need to do some work to make them easier to build (lose the dished deck), but otherwise they show great potential. David Creed supplied the foils.

We had light winds, but once or twice we got over mid A suit and the design really seemed to come into its own.
Craig Richards is offline Find More Posts by Craig Richards
Old Oct 12, 2011, 09:39 AM
Mandeville, La.
Joined Mar 2007
10 Posts
I didn't know pigmented resins were allowed yet?
aralross is offline Find More Posts by aralross
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:49 AM
USA, LA, Mandeville
Joined Feb 2005
886 Posts
Even if they do change the rules to allow pigmented resin, I don't see how that alone could result in a stiffer boat (comment under photo of the red boat).
hew565 is offline Find More Posts by hew565