No 27 50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 05, 2011, 12:08 PM
Fleetwood, UK
Joined Dec 2010
219 Posts
US Championship Accommodation?

Ted,
Thanks for the offer, but my boat will be on the plane with me. Im hoping to leave my boat at the club house if there is one. However, I am still looking for some cheap and cheerful accommodation, somewhere near the venue. Does anyone have some alternatives. I'M on a budget for this event really.

JT
john m taylor is offline Find More Posts by john m taylor
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2011, 06:02 PM
Toulouse
Joined Jan 2007
245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham J Elliott View Post
I was still busy editing.
Boat seems fine in light airs, we had plenty of light air races at the Worlds and also at the Nationals and non of us seemed to suffer from lack of boat speed.
Light airs is an art form that not many grasp very well. Hull design does help but rig and trim are very important in light airs.
The design does seem to cope with everything that is thrown at it, be it 3rd suit in waves or light pox.
Having seen the production model that Brad won the UK Nationals with i can say that the mouldings were excellant, the boat looked immaculate, you really have to see it and work out how it is moulded, no mould lines at all and not painted.
Any explanation of what happened to the rest of the Britpops in the Nationals - i.e does it suit an averagely good sailor.
I believe some boats, while not necessarily the best, are easier to set up and to sail than others. It has been suggested for example that the Robot is a "friendly" boat.
I'm interested as someone who often manages to lose the tune!
expat flyer is offline Find More Posts by expat flyer
Old Sep 05, 2011, 10:04 PM
United States, CA, Fairfax
Joined Apr 2011
78 Posts
The BritPoop is well balanced and as long as you follow the fundamentals of setup (Rake, sheet angles and helm) this is the dream boat. There are many IOM sailors trying to get there paw's on a boat.
I find the Lintel to be at the extreme edge of getting the tuning correct and the Pikanto at the oppisite (maybe because there are so many out there).
Can I take your spot for a BP?
Houdini13 is offline Find More Posts by Houdini13
Old Sep 06, 2011, 01:42 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,109 Posts
Lunatic Launch

Well I finally launched my new boat last Saturday to much fan fear

It is the prototype of Barry Chisams Psycho. From what I have been told it has less rocker than the production Psycho and a different deck, hence why I have called it a Lunatic (thinks for the name Toni).
The boat was red but we have 3 boats in our club that are red so I went of Orange.

I had mixed results with it sailing in 5-10 knots, but that was due to the rig setup. I had way to much side stay tension on and couldn't release the tension due not having enough left on the rigging screws so I had a mast that looked like a Banana to port side had way to much weather helm on one tack.

First thoughts are that is going to be very quick (Barry and Ken provided that already) once rigging is tuned correctly.

Will post results soon
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old Sep 06, 2011, 04:13 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
866 Posts
Hi Mike,
She looks good on the water that's an interesting number it looks like the numbers are to close together though or is it an illusion.

It's been quite for me on the sailing side as my lake has been dogged with long weed for months we had a weed cutting machine cut the lake only to leave more weed floating than they took out it's so frustrating I have given up sailing till the weed dies.

While I have been idle I purchased a Starkers Marblehead from Dave Creed as my club is one of a few now that still race Marbleheads hopefully if Brad Gibson makes a new Marblehead design ( as I hear he is) it may get things going again there's rumour that a Marblehead World Championships may be held in France late 2012.
ToniGe23 is offline Find More Posts by ToniGe23
Old Sep 06, 2011, 03:03 PM
Joined Sep 2011
18 Posts
Hi,
i gave my BritPOP! to Greg King to have a sail of at the Nationals, Greg is reasonably new to the sport but shows potential. I think he came in the early 30s at the Nationals, when i asked him what had gone wrong he just admitted it was all driver error.

Vicky, sailing the 'fastest IOM in the World', this is what she tells me came late 20s i think, although i think this is a more than reasonable result, i know she was not too pleased with it.

You have to remember there was an entry of over 70 with quite a lot of talent in depth in the UK at the moment, for example, Trevor Binks, my good friend, home water, sailing his new Obsession, ex World Champ, did not make top 10.

The few times i compared my trim with Brads and Peters at the ranking race before the worlds, we never compared once at the Worlds, i found all 3 trims to be quite similar. The boat is not as touchy to trim as the Widget.

With all great designs at previous Worlds, you will almost definately find the winning design also being sailed around in E fleet.
Graham J Elliott is offline Find More Posts by Graham J Elliott
Last edited by Graham J Elliott; Sep 06, 2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old Sep 06, 2011, 03:45 PM
Joined Jul 2011
124 Posts
Could'nt agree more Graham.
When the TS2 was THE boat once everyman and his dog had one there were as many at the bottom as at the top.
The same went for G. B. boats my own Isis and the Widget etc etc.
I would expect the same to be true of the Britpop when there are more of them about.
A good boat does'nt make a good skipper but it may just put you one rung up the ladder.
And when everyone has one you're back where you started.
Psychosis is offline Find More Posts by Psychosis
Old Sep 06, 2011, 04:04 PM
kingg
Joined Sep 2011
1 Posts
From reading peoples comments, I would like to add my personal comments regarding the Britpop!
Being one of the five people so far lucky enough to race this excellent design, I would like to report on the advantages of the boat which I have personally experienced.

The Britpop's balance is superb, it almost sails itself. Its pointing ability is just how I like it, not too sharp that it is an annoyance, but when the wind picks up it goes and seeks upwind.
With it being so beautifully balanced, it allows you time and opportunity to think tactics and sail the course. Surely Brad is the current Adrian Newey of the IOM world?

Its speed advantage is real, giving you a safety net in case of any 'cock ups'. Sailing it I honestly felt that I had a real opportunity to catch up other boats and improve.

My results in the national championships just gone, were on a par with the previous year. But please remember that not every course suits everyone and we all have our off days, when things just don't go right. A NE wind at Eastbourne meant that we were sailing away from ourselves all weekend, making starts and the course generally more difficult.
Being a grey boat meant that it wasn't the easiest boat to see at a distance. And quite different to what I am used to, with my off white Isis with fluro patches all over. I now see why Brad’s boats are bright in colour!

Previous practise in sailing Graham Elliott's 109 (thank-you Graham!) at Birkenhead, was great. Racing against a 20+ fleet, of mixed ability including some of the best skippers around, the boat rewarded me with a 3rd place finish overall.

Victoria's finishing position was particularly good, when considering previous results at the UK nationals. Using her boat boat which won the 2011 world championship, she achieved a finishing position of 29th (mid B fleet) which was an improvement of 20 positions on her 49th from the previous year. She was top girl skipper from a total of 6. Well done!

My finishing position was 31st, and whilst sailing one of the fastest IOM's in the world, I had what I can only describe as being the knob at the end of the stick (brain failure!).
Starts were awful, and I frequently managed to get myself in a pickle. Sailing in a club with less than half a dozen boats is not the ideal preparation but I do look forward to sorting this through more racing against the guys from Birkenhead.

I have an early order for a BritPOP which I look forward to receiving & racing. I see it as an opportunity to get my ranking position within the top 10 within the next 2 years when I learn to race at the next level more consistently.
In short, with the way I sailed the Nationals, I feel my result would have been far worse without the ability to recover from some dire situations, but as always, everyone is entitled to their opinion on the Britpops performance. I’m happy with my choice!
kingg is offline Find More Posts by kingg
Old Sep 06, 2011, 04:35 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Dec 2009
80 Posts
Pacific Northwest IOM Newsletter

If you go to www.seattleradiosailing.org and hit the IOM heading followed by the newsletter update tag, you can enjoy viewing and excellent newsletter published by Bob Wells of Seattle. It covers "all things" in the world of IOMs as well as the local Pacific Northwest IOM scene, including an IOM Playmate of the month, sail trim and rigging tips, new hull design; etc. There is no advertising and it is free. Published every two or three months.

I wanted to bring this to your attention because Bob is an excellent writer, well organized, and an experienced and enthusiastic RC skipper. The newsletter is an excellent read.
blackrgb is offline Find More Posts by blackrgb
Old Sep 06, 2011, 05:52 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrgb View Post
If you go to www.seattleradiosailing.org and hit the IOM heading followed by the newsletter update tag, you can enjoy viewing and excellent newsletter published by Bob Wells of Seattle. It covers "all things" in the world of IOMs as well as the local Pacific Northwest IOM scene, including an IOM Playmate of the month, sail trim and rigging tips, new hull design; etc. There is no advertising and it is free. Published every two or three months.

I wanted to bring this to your attention because Bob is an excellent writer, well organized, and an experienced and enthusiastic RC skipper. The newsletter is an excellent read.
I hope you don't mind I just shared that link on a IOM Facebook page.

Manny
gpzy is online now Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Sep 06, 2011, 08:20 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Dec 2009
80 Posts
A O K Manny
blackrgb is offline Find More Posts by blackrgb
Old Sep 12, 2011, 11:18 AM
Canada, BC, Lake Cowichan
Joined Jul 2011
534 Posts
Very first sail of my new scratch built, Brad Gibson designed SKA (in yellow). The grey boat is a Topico.

IOM - Ska.MOV (0 min 25 sec)

John
hiljoball is online now Find More Posts by hiljoball
Old Sep 12, 2011, 12:32 PM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Mar 2004
1,491 Posts
Does anyone know where I could find an exploded view of a deck block?
Thanks!
ColinB is offline Find More Posts by ColinB
Old Sep 12, 2011, 01:32 PM
Canada, BC, Lake Cowichan
Joined Jul 2011
534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinB View Post
Does anyone know where I could find an exploded view of a deck block?
Thanks!
How about this?

http://www.halesmicro.com.au/features.html

John
hiljoball is online now Find More Posts by hiljoball
Old Sep 12, 2011, 02:23 PM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Mar 2004
1,491 Posts
Perfect, thanks! It looks very similar.
Colin
ColinB is offline Find More Posts by ColinB