View Poll Results: If you are reading this thread are you an IOM owner
Yes 26 49.06%
No 27 50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 01, 2011, 08:43 AM
Joined Sep 2011
18 Posts
Hi,
the yacht Peter sailed at the 2011 UK Nationals was his ISOTONIC, the same yacht he sailed at the 2010 European Championships. (still using a Barry Jackson winch with separate amplifier)

The BritPOP! he sailed, and won, at the 2011 Worlds is owned by Vicky (Brads bird).

The BritPOP! sailed by Brad, and won, the UK Nationals 2011 is the first production BritPOP!, the first 3 built (the 3 that cleaned up at the 2011 Worlds) were hand built by Brad and were made to prove the design in somebody else's hands other than Brads.

Besides from the first launch day race, the only design that has beaten me in a race since May was indeed another BritPOP! not a Lintel or MMX or even a Piccanto and i have sailed against quite a few ex World Champions (Roberts,Binks,Bantock,Zvonko). In short, a blind man on a galloping horse can see it is 'quite a fast boat'

As with most sporting equipment, the top of the range stuff will always give you a little extra help but it is always down to a good balance and there are a lot of factors in sailing toy boats that have to be correct before you can win,in order, fast boat,trim,start,shifts, fortunately you cannot buy a trim or a good start or the ability to see a shift but you can buy a design that gives you the edge over the rest of the fleet.
Graham J Elliott is offline Find More Posts by Graham J Elliott
Last edited by Graham J Elliott; Sep 01, 2011 at 09:26 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2011, 08:49 AM
Don't lie to my dog.
United States, DE, Wilmington
Joined Jun 2005
3,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham J Elliott View Post
... no, it wont get Mr Average club sailor into the top 10 in the World but it will certainly help his cause.
Not if they sell 11 of them.

It is a nice looking boat, in a fast sense. How does it do in lighter air?
Gregg28 is offline Find More Posts by Gregg28
Old Sep 01, 2011, 08:56 AM
Italia, Abruzzo, Pescara
Joined Apr 2011
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham J Elliott View Post
Hi,
the yacht Peter sailed at the 2011 UK Nationals was his ISOTONIC, the same yacht he sailed at the 2010 European Championships.
The BritPOP! he sailed, and won, at the 2011 Worlds is owned by Vicky (Brads bird).
The BritPOP! sailed by Brad, and won, the UK Nationals 2011 is the first production BritPOP!, the first 3 built (the 3 that cleaned up at the 2011 Worlds) were hand built by Brad and were made to prove the design in somebody else's hands other than Brads.
Besides from the first launch day race, the only design that has beaten me in a race was indeed another BritPOP! not a Lintel or MMX or even a Piccanto and i have sailed against quite a few ex World Champions (Roberts,Binks,Bantock,Zvonko). It is 'Quite a fast boat', no, it wont get Mr Average club sailor into the top 10 in the World but it will certainly help his cause.
very, very well mr Elliot

Britpop is a really very fast boat and impeccably constructed.

compliments from number six
mainboom is offline Find More Posts by mainboom
Old Sep 01, 2011, 09:36 AM
Joined Sep 2011
18 Posts
I was still busy editing.
Boat seems fine in light airs, we had plenty of light air races at the Worlds and also at the Nationals and non of us seemed to suffer from lack of boat speed.
Light airs is an art form that not many grasp very well. Hull design does help but rig and trim are very important in light airs.
The design does seem to cope with everything that is thrown at it, be it 3rd suit in waves or light pox.
Having seen the production model that Brad won the UK Nationals with i can say that the mouldings were excellant, the boat looked immaculate, you really have to see it and work out how it is moulded, no mould lines at all and not painted.
Graham J Elliott is offline Find More Posts by Graham J Elliott
Old Sep 01, 2011, 09:37 AM
Don't lie to my dog.
United States, DE, Wilmington
Joined Jun 2005
3,062 Posts
Good to know. Thanks.
Gregg28 is offline Find More Posts by Gregg28
Old Sep 01, 2011, 01:37 PM
New Zealand, Bay Of Plenty, Pyes Pa
Joined Nov 2010
16 Posts
DM2 Information Page

DM2 now has an Information Page

http://www.ohope.co.nz/iom/DM2/index.html

See you on the water

All the best

Graham
Ohope is offline Find More Posts by Ohope
Old Sep 02, 2011, 11:02 PM
Perth
Joined Oct 2010
1 Posts
Hi,

Does anyone know what design Martin Roberts sailed in the UK Nationals?

Dave
wanderer120 is offline Find More Posts by wanderer120
Old Sep 03, 2011, 03:39 PM
Italia, Abruzzo, Pescara
Joined Apr 2011
3 Posts
Lintel MMX... I think
mainboom is offline Find More Posts by mainboom
Old Sep 03, 2011, 03:59 PM
UK
Joined Sep 2002
987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainboom View Post
Lintel MMX... I think
What is the difference between the Lintel and the Lintel MMX ????

Brian
Brian Wa is offline Find More Posts by Brian Wa
Old Sep 04, 2011, 09:05 AM
Canada, BC, Maple Ridge
Joined Jul 2011
461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Wa View Post
What is the difference between the Lintel and the Lintel MMX ????

Brian
I believe that it is a very light layup hull to reduce the weight. Then as much as 500 grams of corrector weights are placed low and central in the hull (usual IOm has around 100 to 150 grams of corrector weights). This is intended to reduce the weight in the ends of the hull to reduce its moments of inertial, That will allow the hull to respond quicker to waves.

John
hiljoball is offline Find More Posts by hiljoball
Old Sep 04, 2011, 09:46 AM
Fleetwood, UK
Joined Dec 2010
196 Posts
UK Championship Frustration

Hiya Guys,
Just thought I would throw in my UK Championship thoughts for this year. The venue and organisation was excellent, considering Ken Binks and his staff had only a short time to get things organised. The wind direction was variable over the weekend but I was pleased to see in the first two days, the wind strength increase so much that we went to No2 rig. Only on the last day was the wind light and flucky.

As for my performance with a wooden boat. The seeding race was met with weed on my keel, so I started in E-Fleet. By the end of the first day I had risen to A-Fleet and remained.
On the second day came a sailing performance that would relegate me from A-Fleet, then B-Fleet only to be impeaded in C-Fleet and again in D-Fleet. Therefore, finishing the day back in E-Fleet. My frustrations were taken out at the bar and alot of beer. The only good thing was that E-Fleet finished in time to watch the second half of Manchester United's demolition of Arsenal.
Back to the Sailing, the last day saw me rise continually again from E-Fleet straight back into A-Fleet. With the competition finished, I found myself in 30th place.. As for my boat (SOFAR), it performs well throughout the wind speed range as well as having good down wind performance. Its just my ability that cannot keep any sense of consistancy during this years championship.
Its my intention now to bring the same boat with me to the US Championship in November. I hope I can maintain some consistency.

JT

Name: jtnew 008.jpg
Views: 176
Size: 205.8 KB
Description: SOFAR (IOM)
Designed by J. Taylor

www.taylormadeyachts.com (Updated August)
john m taylor is offline Find More Posts by john m taylor
Old Sep 04, 2011, 12:05 PM
Ireland, Dublin, Howth
Joined Nov 2008
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by john m taylor View Post
Hiya Guys,
Just thought I would throw in my UK Championship thoughts for this year. The venue and organisation was excellent, considering Ken Binks and his staff had only a short time to get things organised. The wind direction was variable over the weekend but I was pleased to see in the first two days, the wind strength increase so much that we went to No2 rig. Only on the last day was the wind light and flucky.

As for my performance with a wooden boat. The seeding race was met with weed on my keel, so I started in E-Fleet. By the end of the first day I had risen to A-Fleet and remained.
On the second day came a sailing performance that would relegate me from A-Fleet, then B-Fleet only to be impeaded in C-Fleet and again in D-Fleet. Therefore, finishing the day back in E-Fleet. My frustrations were taken out at the bar and alot of beer. The only good thing was that E-Fleet finished in time to watch the second half of Manchester United's demolition of Arsenal.
Back to the Sailing, the last day saw me rise continually again from E-Fleet straight back into A-Fleet. With the competition finished, I found myself in 30th place.. As for my boat (SOFAR), it performs well throughout the wind speed range as well as having good down wind performance. Its just my ability that cannot keep any sense of consistancy during this years championship.
Its my intention now to bring the same boat with me to the US Championship in November. I hope I can maintain some consistency.

JT

Attachment 4256392

www.taylormadeyachts.com (Updated August)
Good to hear the actual performance of the boat was good. I find myself that the heat system can be harsh at times- don't have much experience in heat system but 2 things frustrated me when I raced in events with that systems: 1) you actually don't sail that much over duration of an event, 2) I've been taken out more then once by another boat and then it is the eternal struggle to climb up through the heats. Don't have a better way to get many RC boats racing together by the way but just my own view. Then time on the water is key so you get the optimum tuning of your boat straightaway or very quickly you find yourself relegated to the lower fleets, bagging plenty of points which you pay the price at the end.

We're lucky here in Ireland in that we have a small fleet which enable us to race together in one fleet and so we do between 12 to 16 races in one day and plenty of time on the water. giving just few mins to last boats to make some adjustments and we kick off the next race. with longer breaks every 4 races.

It's a format that works for us with the size of fleet that we have, typically 7 - 15 boats in most cases.

So in short I can share your frustrations !!!

Shortly we'll have 3 Reggae (brad's design) on Irish waters. Probably not as fast as his britpop but that'll do us for now. The actual performance is good though not coming from a CNC machined quality mould, but it shows its potential.

Brad is the type of sailor who can probably finish in top places sailing a tuperware box but supplemented by a good boat design and building skills make him special I suppose. I have sailed his sc4 design and we have a few Disco too. They're not pulling away anymore from me since I got my V6. But then again as Graham said the person behind the sticks play a key role too. It is clear that the sailing skills of the top IOM sailors are top and this is shown by so many different winners in all the major events, often the same names at the top but not necessarily in the same order. Any kind of advantage will play a part in the end result. That's one of the reason why I like the IOM class so much - the quality of the sailors and variety of designs ! Even here whilst we used to have one person dominating the class for a while, not anymore it is tight at the top.

Anyhow - well done John, keep us posted on your new boat sofar at the US nats. Good wind !
glouis is offline Find More Posts by glouis
Last edited by glouis; Sep 05, 2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old Sep 05, 2011, 08:22 AM
USA-Michigan
Joined Feb 2008
108 Posts
John Taylor:

Looking forward to seeing you and your boat at the US Nationals. If you need anything let us know. If you are shipping your boat I'm sure we can find a place to ship it to so that it is here when you arrive.

Ted
Ted Flack is offline Find More Posts by Ted Flack
Last edited by Ted Flack; Sep 05, 2011 at 09:03 AM.
Old Sep 05, 2011, 09:31 AM
Rick Lange
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Joined Apr 2010
56 Posts
Ted,

There was a post this AM on the S1M Yahoo list that Hop Brook Lake is closed for the season due to Irene flooding and damage. You may want to contact the Housatonic MYC for a venue update.

Rick
Blue Heron is offline Find More Posts by Blue Heron
Old Sep 05, 2011, 09:35 AM
USA-Michigan
Joined Feb 2008
108 Posts
That is the US1M not the IOM Nationals, but thanks for the update.
Ted Flack is offline Find More Posts by Ted Flack