View Poll Results: If you are reading this thread are you an IOM owner
Yes 26 49.06%
No 27 50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 30, 2009, 09:26 AM
USA, LA, Mandeville
Joined Feb 2005
886 Posts
Here is a question for all of the drum winch users. How do you get the drum to stop at the exact spot you want it to (fully trimmed in)?

Since the full travel is several turns, won't any trim adjustments will be large amounts? Like 1/4" per click of trim? And not being digital, will the servo return to the exact spot you want, time after time?

From a digital arm winch user!

Hew
hew565 is offline Find More Posts by hew565
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2009, 10:00 AM
Joined Jan 2006
582 Posts
I use either the spiral tapered winch or the step down winch to give better resolution when sheeted in. The other way is use more travel on your sheets so that each amount of drum travel is less sail travel.

John
slotracer577 is offline Find More Posts by slotracer577
Old Dec 30, 2009, 03:54 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hew565 View Post
Here is a question for all of the drum winch users. How do you get the drum to stop at the exact spot you want it to (fully trimmed in)?
Since the full travel is several turns, won't any trim adjustments will be large amounts? Like 1/4" per click of trim? And not being digital, will the servo return to the exact spot you want, time after time?
From a digital arm winch user!

Hew
Hew,

Assume 'digital arm winch' same as programmable drum winch. I have, at the moment, analogue TX's and analogue servos on my IOMs. Soon to be digital TX (Turborix 2.4GHz).

Everybody who sails IOMs seriously uses the RMG SmartWinch. I have one in my 1.7m boat. The RMG 380EH.

It's called a SmartWinch because it is programmable (digital).

Features are --

Adjustable Tx end point limits
Adjustable failsafe position for low battery shutdown
Adjustable scaled linear travel
and more..............

At almost $300 you would expect it to have some fancy features. The low battery failsafe gives you a choice of where the sails will be when the batteries are going flat. Rudder servo still works as is fed power by the winch. So you can still get back to shore. Since the end point limits are programmed, by you, there is no sheet trim needed.

Re the analogue Hitec Drum Winch Servo. Setting up this drum is to make sure that the maximum limits of travel are safe. Between bulkhead and block. I have never used sail trim on the TX. Only rudder trim to get it centered.
On my Spektrum DX5e I have HI/LOW Rate. Low reduces travel of everything to 70% . But this is not trim. On my Hitec TX have slider that reduces travel. But this is too dangerous. If you forget its position, as I have done, you end up with sheet jamming into blocks, or pulling in so hard tries to burn out servo. I always use full travel. Except, of course, with the RMG winch.

Back to your question -- how do you get the winch to return to the same position? By using the drums own limits. Trim will move the limits but you still have 100% travel. So, don't touch sheet trim on analogue servo. Or buy a digital programmable TX to set travel limits on analogue servo.

Larry.
larrykin is offline Find More Posts by larrykin
Old Dec 30, 2009, 04:36 PM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,100 Posts
I set up the winch that when on hard the sails are in when sailing downwind i have gotten use to stopping the winch about half way the sails stop where i want them to, If i let them go all the way out they just hit the side stay's.
It is funny i use an old Hitec winch and everybody else in the club uses RMG and nearly every week there is a break down with somebodies RMG, either it forgets its setting or just fails.
Larry look on the ARYA website there is a guy in our club selling a second hand RMG and they pop up all the time.
Mike
AUS669
8387mike is online now Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old Dec 31, 2009, 01:44 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8387mike View Post
......they just hit the side stay's.

Larry look on the ARYA website there is a guy in our club selling a second hand RMG and they pop up all the time.
Mike
AUS669
Mike,
thanks for that but I have already bought too much RC stuff this week. The Eurgle Drum Winch and the 2.4GHz Turborix gear.
As I posted before - I was emailed by the designer of the Maximuss that he sails with a guy who has the Eurgle Winch in his IOM. Cost $US20. Said it is faster than an RMG and sails in 20mph winds, with a 'B' rig, just fine. So torque is OK too. I think the new radio has 4 programmable settings. As I have 4 boats working at the moment I can theoretically just use the one radio. The Turborix has same features as the Spektrum DX6e which sells for $AU245. ie Radio has USB link to program from software supplied. I read somewhere that all these 2.4GHz radios have the same internal circuits. All made by same company. Just the plastic box and brand name change and sold at different prices.
Mike -- how'd you go at the races? Did you make us proud? You're sailing a cloned TS2 with a faulty sheeting system? You say you can only half toggle your sails as they go too far otherwise. Maybe you should get yourself a new digital radio that has ability to set limit points. Aren't you using the HobbyKing radio?

Have a Happy and safe New Year.

Larry.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 08:15 PM
Rusty
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Feb 2006
884 Posts
There have been mixed reports on the Eurgle winch. Let us know how it goes over time.
http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/show...3445#post53445
The Transmitter has four model memories.
The Turborix/Eurgle/HobbyKing radio gear is sold under a wide range of brands and bundled with RTF aircraft:
http://www.flysky-cn.com/english/pro...p?LarCode=2.4G
Hobby King and R2 Hobbies are two Hong Kong distributers.
There is a 3 channel car/boat pistol, four channel basic, 6 channel computer programmable and a new 9 channel (since withdrawn from sale on Hobby King due to reliability and programming software problems).
All are compatible with each others receivers. You can buy a 3 channel 5gm receiver from R2 Hobbies for $9. http://www.r2hobbies.com/proddetail.php?prod=rcps61413
However they are not all compatible with other brands - there are many Chinese made 2.4GHz systems that are not compatible - Assan, Art tech etc.
There are reviews here:
http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/hobbykingrc.shtml
And endless discussion here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=967207
Rusty Nail is online now Find More Posts by Rusty Nail
Old Jan 01, 2010, 06:13 AM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
2,933 Posts
Quote:
On installation, switch on, wind fully in. Attach line in this position. Done. This assumes a proportional drum winch.
mfr02 is offline Find More Posts by mfr02
Old Jan 01, 2010, 01:18 PM
Slope,thermal and Scale flying
Deception Bay
Joined Jun 2008
637 Posts
I back larry on this one with getting a programable TX. They come in so handy and solve alot of things that would usually take alot of time to get right litttle alone perfect if you can. With your drum travel, it is so easy to put in the desired travel with a programable TX. Use a trum you like and if it moves too much, you just dial it back on the TX in travel adjustment and bammm! she is done.

With the programable TX's aswell, i don't know if you can do this with your radio at the moment or have heard of this turn before but dual rates. I love dual rates and i use them alot to my advantage. They help when your comming off wind and your going alot faster than usual and you go to make a correction in the rudder and your boat goes all skew wiff becuase of the high control imput Dual rates simply cuts down the travel when you flick a switch and problem solvded. With switching on the dual rates for your rudder or what not, you can usually adjust the expotential so when you switch on the dual rates to your rudder for say, the speed of the rudder moving from left to right can be adjusted so that it is all a smooth movement and not so julty

I love using prgramming in radio's so if you have any questions you want to ask just let me know
chamm37 is offline Find More Posts by chamm37
Old Jan 01, 2010, 01:59 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chamm37 View Post
.....heard of this turn before but dual rates. I love dual rates and i use them alot to my advantage.

I love using prgramming in radio's so if you have any questions you want to ask just let me know
"Dual Rates" -- HI/LOW RATE. Reduces all servo function from 100% to 70%.

Chris (or anyone else),

please talk me through the programming process. Never done it before.

Assuming software installed, TX connected via USB. What's next ???

Here's a screen shot. What does it all mean to a layman?

Larry
Old Jan 01, 2010, 02:04 PM
West Palm Beach , FL, USA
Joined May 2001
1,063 Posts
Who sells these boats?
ARCHER7153 is offline Find More Posts by ARCHER7153
Old Jan 01, 2010, 03:32 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARCHER7153 View Post
Who sells these boats?
IOM stands for International One Metre. This is a "class" of boat. Below is a link to several places where you may buy an IOM.

http://onemetre.sbmyc.com/forums/vie...hp?p=7744#7744

As long as a boat fits within the Class Rules it is an IOM. Prices vary from $700 (used) to $4000 (with several sail rigs). There is one kit boat IOM, that I know of - the Robbie Windstar? Made in UK. Apparently the best IOMs are all made here in Oztralia mate .
If you wish to start racing an IOM check your local club. Or visit IOMICA and scroll down to the USA link.
http://www.iomclass.org/phpBB3/index.php

Larry
Old Jan 01, 2010, 06:13 PM
Joined Dec 2009
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykin View Post
Apparently the best IOMs are all made here in Oztralia mate .
As an Australian made or designed boat has not won anything Internationally since 2005 can you share with us your reasoning.. No doubt that the ozzies have a few fine designs but its a pretty bold claim
Happy New Year
pchicken is offline Find More Posts by pchicken
Old Jan 02, 2010, 05:20 AM
Slope,thermal and Scale flying
Deception Bay
Joined Jun 2008
637 Posts
Sorry larry i would have posted earlier but i had girlfriend problems All good and solved now, turns out that i would never hear a women say that she is WRONG!!!! yerp thats right, she atmitated to being wrong. This should be written in a history book....Women saying they were wrong hahahaha

Sorry off subject,
The throtle curv is the stick movement in the mainsail stick. You can make it so that the sheet only opens a certain way at a certain point in the stick travel and fasten in other points. So basically when you put the numbers in, the throttle curv should look like a straight line going about 45 degrees or so. Having it a straight line will give you even travel moving the whole stick length on the controller. Its abit hard to explain but it is easy to show you
4#3B with 2801Pro: Throttle Curve, Dual Rate and Expo (2 min 26 sec)

there is a video showing him moving the different positions on the radio to give different movement positions when he moves his stick. Do you get that???

If not have a look at the website. They are for helis and stuff but it is the same sort of concept with sailboats

http://www.littlerotors.com/setup/throttlesettings.aspx

if i get some time tomorrow i will make a little video and put in on my youtube explaining and showing you what is what and how to do it and what it is and what it is doing so basically a general overall view...I will be kayak fishing all day so it will be in the arvo

Anything else you want to know while im at making the video???
chamm37 is offline Find More Posts by chamm37
Old Jan 02, 2010, 06:39 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,100 Posts
pchicken

As an Australian made or designed boat has not won anything Internationally since 2005 can you share with us your reasoning.

Brad Gibson won Worlds 2007, Craig Smith 2nd, 2009 Brad Gibson 2nd :hmmmm, I think Larry might have gone a bit far with we are the best but that is the Australian way of thinking.

Larry
Nothing wrong with my set up i don't like those computer TX, we have guy's in the club who are always having problems (not the same ones every week) as for me plug it in set it and if i let the sails out to much so what, i watch what the sails are doing when i race anyway so they are never fully out.
But i do agree with the RMG next boat for me

And as for racing on Thursday haven't seen overall day yet but was averaging 10-11 got 2 x 8's out of 17 boats, me thinks not bad considering never sailed there before and the company i was in (state champ, club president and national president)

What does every one think about a Tempest from NZ?

Mike
AUS667
8387mike is online now Find More Posts by 8387mike
Last edited by 8387mike; Jan 02, 2010 at 06:45 AM. Reason: grammer
Old Jan 02, 2010, 09:16 AM
Joined Dec 2009
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8387mike View Post
pchicken

As an Australian made or designed boat has not won anything Internationally since 2005 can you share with us your reasoning.

Brad Gibson won Worlds 2007, Craig Smith 2nd, 2009 Brad Gibson 2nd :hmmmm, I think Larry might have gone a bit far with we are the best but that is the Australian way of thinking.

Mike
AUS667
Mike,

I think you may find that Brad Gibson was sailing a 13 year old UK design that he built in the UK in both 2007 and 2009. Yes he's an ozzie but we are happy to claim him as he has raced here for a few years now before both of those championships.
Smith was third in 07, 2nd was a Bantock Topiko from Spain I believe. the same gent from Spain won the 08 Europeans with a Pikanto.
Sorry mate
pchicken is offline Find More Posts by pchicken