View Poll Results: If you are reading this thread are you an IOM owner
Yes 26 49.06%
No 27 50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 27, 2011, 03:26 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
850 Posts
out of curiosity how old is the Arrival there is a hull moulding number inside the hull.
ToniGe23 is online now Find More Posts by ToniGe23
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2011, 10:02 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
850 Posts
IOM World Championship 2011

Looks like strong winds for the start of the World Championships in the UK on Friday and Saturday all boats were measured including sails.
Old May 29, 2011, 06:56 AM
USA-Michigan
Joined Feb 2008
108 Posts
I'm following the results on Twitter, not like live video but I can see who is up front. Really a good idea as there is no cost other than the poor guy that sits there all day and writes numbers for us to see.

I do thank him!
Ted Flack is offline Find More Posts by Ted Flack
Old May 29, 2011, 07:41 AM
Fleetwood, UK
Joined Dec 2010
213 Posts
IOM Worlds / Arrival Yachts

Toni,
Both 'Arrival' yachts have been built very recently. John Tushingham's was purpose built for this race. Derek Preistley's 'Arrival' yacht is borrowed from Phil Playle. Dave Hollom ('Arrival' Designer) and Derek are great friends and some months ago Derek agreed with Dave Hollom to sail one of his boats at these Championships, eventhough Derek owns a Lintel. I dont know what the hull numbers are but I can tell you both boats have been produced within the last 4 months, especially John Tushingham's yacht. Over the sailing sessions we have had at Fleetwood, there has been alot of time spent on the water. With the Fleetwood Lake being very similar to West Kirby and having very similar wind conditions over the last 10 days, there has been many an hour spent on the water trialing these boats, even to the point of the Arrival's changing fins and experimenting with different ballast shapes. Prior to me having radio problems, my Squiggle, the Lintels and the Arrivals have all had alot of tuning time on the water, using all 3 rigs. I would say in 2 weeks, I have done more sailing than in the last 2 years, during which I have become more educated in the performances of my yacht, the Lintel and the Arrival. In the end and having my last discussion with Derek, he was very concerned if the wind conditions were to stay as they have been for the last week or so. The Arrival is simply not as fast as the Lintel once the wind strengthens to the top end of each rig. The sailing time on the water this week has proved it. However, John Tushingham's theroy over the course of the week will hopefully happen, but as each day arrives with strong winds, Derek has started to worry about his choice of yacht.
I wish them all well, as I am one skipper who would have loved to be in this event sailing a very tuned up Squiggle. Shame about my receiver.
john m taylor is offline Find More Posts by john m taylor
Last edited by john m taylor; May 29, 2011 at 07:53 AM.
Old May 29, 2011, 07:11 PM
I love being the underdog!!!
Bermuda
Joined Jan 2011
123 Posts
worlds

Please share comments ,info,thoughts that you may have in reference to the worlds competition. Even if if may seem trivial to you. It is educational to guys like myself who need the exposure to what happens at the events. I dont think anyone will take your comments personally if you voice your opinion. Thanks
Romano Ramirez is offline Find More Posts by Romano Ramirez
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Looking for the "terminator"
Old May 30, 2011, 04:22 AM
Fleetwood, UK
Joined Dec 2010
213 Posts
(IOM Worlds) Thoughts of Performance

Romano & Gents,
If you all dont mind me passing my thoughts over, I will do my best to provide all of you with a constructive, educated opinion that will have some sort of credability. If nothing else, it might make all of you Stop and Think for a minute.

I touched on John Tushingham's theroy prior to the Worlds starting, but without saying what it was. John Tushingham and Derek Preistley both own Lintels, but have chosen to race Arrival's for the World Championships. You may ask the question why?

Lets take the A Fleet Skippers as an example. I have said this before, the Lintel has exceptional sailing performance at the top end of the wind speed range of each rig. Therefore, in those conditions a Lintel in these championships would probably score 1 - 4 points per race. The Arrival sailing performance on the otherhand is not as dominating in these conditions. Therefore, the Arrival scores in the same races would be 5 - 8 points per race. The Britpop would be similar to the Arrival, Pikanto would be a little lower, but this is purely without boats being infringed by others.

Once the wind decreases in strength, the Arrival and others would start to score 1 - 8 points. However, with the Lintel now sailing in light wind conditions, the scores will dramatically change between 10 points to relegation from A - Fleet. Its the considered opinion that over the course of the week, the wind strength will not remain constant. Therefore, eventhough the Lintel has exceptional sailing performance in strong wind conditions and West Kirby is an open lake next to the seafront, there is no garentee the wind will stay constant for a period of the week. John Tushingham and Derek Preistley have chosen their boats that will in there opinion, stay competitive for longer. Excepting that when the wind blows strong, they will have to work harder to stay in A-Fleet, but when the wind decreases, the performance of there yachts will be more improved.

On page 87 of this forum, I made reference to longer competitive performance when I was talking about designing the Squiggle. In these championships over the course of the week, I am sure every skipper will use all of their rigs, the winning boat will be the one that can produce a steady performance when not in its ideal wind conditions. As the wind strength changes, make a note of the scores for each yacht design.

All the above is purely talking about boat performance. On the otherside of it is, making a good start, keeping out of trouble and sailing the correct course. The man on the sticks.

JT
john m taylor is offline Find More Posts by john m taylor
Last edited by john m taylor; May 30, 2011 at 08:15 AM.
Old May 30, 2011, 07:35 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
850 Posts
A link to youtube of the first days racing
IOM World Championships West Kirby 2011 - Day 1 (7 min 51 sec)
Last edited by ToniGe23; Jun 01, 2011 at 04:26 PM.
Old May 30, 2011, 01:09 PM
USA - Michigan
Joined Dec 2010
17 Posts
Great video. I can't wait for the next days event. They are really doing a first rate job on the video. Nice editing, and good music.
RickieM12 is offline Find More Posts by RickieM12
Old May 30, 2011, 02:28 PM
UK
Joined Sep 2002
988 Posts
Keep checking here for the latest Photos and videos of the World Champs:-
http://iomworlds2011.wordpress.com/media-centre/

Latest results here:-
http://iomworlds2011.wordpress.com/results-2/

It looks like the "Britpop" is doing well.

Brian
Brian Wa is offline Find More Posts by Brian Wa
Old May 30, 2011, 03:51 PM
k4s
Joined Aug 2009
391 Posts
https://picasaweb.google.com/Gilliss...54012814126626

Anyone know something about this boat.?
Wooden rig,no counter weight,split backstay,solid outriggers on the bottom of sidestays...very round hull.
Looks really interesting.
k4s is offline Find More Posts by k4s
Old May 30, 2011, 05:35 PM
Joined Jan 2006
582 Posts
You should be able to look up the sail # on the entry list and get a owner and design name. For me the link brings up a page of photo's not a single photo.
slotracer577 is offline Find More Posts by slotracer577
Old May 30, 2011, 05:47 PM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,100 Posts
Richard,

It is Michael Scharmer from Germany check the IOM Nordic site and it shows him building one of his designs

Mike
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old May 30, 2011, 06:33 PM
Guz
Gutless wonder
Tempe, AZ
Joined Dec 2005
3,136 Posts
Looking at the pic before it looks like it's registered as:

GER 09 | Michael Scharmer | Scharming Mk XV c

I'm guessing it's Michael's own design
Guz is offline Find More Posts by Guz
Old May 30, 2011, 06:50 PM
Joined Jan 2006
582 Posts
I have built his mk 8 as an rg65. It worked quite well. Very narrow and full at the ends.
He is an interesting designer. Wish I could get lines for some of his newer designs.
slotracer577 is offline Find More Posts by slotracer577
Old May 30, 2011, 09:39 PM
USA-Michigan
Joined Feb 2008
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slotracer577 View Post
You should be able to look up the sail # on the entry list and get a owner and design name. For me the link brings up a page of photo's not a single photo.
If you look at the Results they show the design as well as scores. Some of the sailors changed boats after they entered so looking at the latest results shows the latest information.
Ted Flack is offline Find More Posts by Ted Flack