View Poll Results: If you are reading this thread are you an IOM owner
Yes 26 49.06%
No 27 50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 06, 2011, 02:16 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
866 Posts
Just looked on bg sails and design web site and it looks like they have had to do some tweaking to get things right to get production going I don't think there being produced yet and I'm not sure how many orders Brad has you could email him and enquire.
On another note Peter Stollery is racing his BritPop at my club on Sunday so I'll have a good look at it also Trevor Binks and Ken Binks who I believe is sailing a new boat not his usual Isis2 I'll keep you informed.
I'll be racing on the day with my Isis2 with BGsails and we have a very good member sailing an improved Robot which is looking good.
ToniGe23 is online now Find More Posts by ToniGe23
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2011, 02:23 PM
UK
Joined Sep 2002
988 Posts
Thanks Toni

Please keep us updated.

Brian
Brian Wa is offline Find More Posts by Brian Wa
Old May 09, 2011, 08:17 AM
Joined Jan 2006
41 Posts
As promised some photos of the latest version of the Arrival. John sailed it at Birkenhead this weekend against the Britpop and Viper and had some wins against them even though he is still setting up the boat in rediness for the Worlds.
As can be seen the finish and details are 2nd to none.
llamedos is online now Find More Posts by llamedos
Old May 09, 2011, 10:26 AM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2004
111 Posts
Dear llamedos,
Thank you for the pictures. I am seriously considering the Arrival but I am seeing many different types of fins and rudders. I guess I will have to wait or ask Phil. None of my yachts have been "proven" in races so this does not bother me but I guess I would want to get the final version so to speak. If this is the final version than its good enough for me.
Thanks
Scully
scully is offline Find More Posts by scully
Old May 09, 2011, 03:10 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
866 Posts
I raced in a league ranking race this weekend with 3 skippers that are sailing in the Worlds next month, Peter Stollery was sailing a Brad Gibson design BritPoP Trevor Binks sailing a new Barry Chisam design called Psycho and Trevor Binks sailing his trusty Isis2.
Amongst these boats where Widget's,Cockatoo2's,Lintels,MadMax's and Pikanto's so there were some serious boats to compete with and compare.I was sailing my Isis 2 which I'm very please with and I'm getting great results with in my club racing.
The wind was at the top of 'A' suit with some big gusts to catch us out on the runs the BritPoP seemed to like the conditions as it just seemed to plane on the runs while most of us nose dived it was also noticeable that it cut through the rough chop she showed very good boat speed over all the others leaving a big distance beween first and second places least to say PeterStollery won most of the races to win the day.
The new boat that Trevor Binks was sailing a Psycho looked promising the hull has chines as most of the new boats have he came second with his brother Trevor getting a third place I was very pleased to get a fourth place on the day.
Old May 10, 2011, 07:23 AM
Joined Jan 2006
41 Posts
I forgot to say that John was sailing his Arrival at Birkenhead against Brad Gibson and his Britpop and Martin Roberts sailing the Viper, not sure what the wind conditions were though.
Scully I'll try to keep you updated with any changes that John makes to his Arrival before the worlds and I'll try get some photos of it on the water.
llamedos is online now Find More Posts by llamedos
Old May 13, 2011, 11:12 PM
I love being the underdog!!!
Bermuda
Joined Jan 2011
128 Posts
Central Park New York

I am in New York!! I plan to show up at 5th Ave. and 72nd st. around 10am to catch some IOM sailing. I see the website but unable to contact anyone. Oh well! I'll go there anyways to see what happens.
Romano Ramirez is offline Find More Posts by Romano Ramirez
Old May 14, 2011, 05:52 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
866 Posts
As the thread has been a bit slow I thought I would post some pictures of a new boat I'm fitting out I am already sailing an ISIS 2 with great success and another new ISIS came my way with some slight modifications so I suppose it's an ISIS 3 I thought I would fit it out with some new rigging I'm trying and compare the two on the water.
The new boat has the same hull and deck shape but the winch postion has been moved from the centre front of the mast/fin box to slightly higher up on the left side of the mast/fin box. This improvement allows the use a self tensioning drum or an elastic on the sheet line direct so there's no need for a pulley attached to the front of the boat. Another improvement is an adjustable sheet post the old ISIS had a fixed post which I never liked and did wonder why this was ever used.

Anyway I have a question what's the pro's and con's on self tension drums against the elastic on the sheet lines I know all the Croatian's including the World Champion use the self tensioning drum.
Old May 14, 2011, 06:09 AM
Don't lie to my dog.
United States, DE, Wilmington
Joined Jun 2005
3,078 Posts
We used to use elastic on the sheet lines, but then later moved to the self tensioning drums. he elastic is very easy to set up. The two main drawbacks (that I can think of) are that the stretching of the elastic is taking power from the winch and that the elastic breaks down over time. You definitely need more care when setting up the self tensioning system, but one that I set up 20 years ago still works great.
Gregg28 is offline Find More Posts by Gregg28
Old May 14, 2011, 07:47 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
866 Posts
There's no clear instructions with the RMG drum so is the sheet a continuous loop
Old May 14, 2011, 07:52 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
866 Posts
Here's the sheet post that's now adjustable a better idea than my Mk2
Old May 14, 2011, 08:00 AM
Upside down, downunder in Oz
Thornlie, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniGe23 View Post
There's no clear instructions with the RMG drum so is the sheet a continuous loop
no, the 2 'ends' of the winch sheet start and end on the drum.

Best way is to tie one end on the spring side of the drum, run a number of turns around the spring drum, run the sheet all around the boat, and then onto the fixed part of the drum, pulling some tension on the spring part. (if you can follow all that!!)
Moby58 is online now Find More Posts by Moby58
Last edited by Moby58; May 14, 2011 at 08:07 AM. Reason: my spelling sucks!
Old May 14, 2011, 09:51 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
866 Posts
thanks Moby why don't they put it like that on the instructions
Old May 14, 2011, 06:09 PM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,109 Posts
Hello Moby,

Hope you enjoyed yourself down at our club yesterday arvo, I know I had a good day,

Mike
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old May 15, 2011, 01:41 AM
Silly Old Fart
New Zealand, Wellington, Masterton
Joined Mar 2006
228 Posts
Here you go Toni.....

https://www.rmgsailwinch.com.au/rmg/...ing-Drums.html
CaptainBit is offline Find More Posts by CaptainBit