View Poll Results: If you are reading this thread are you an IOM owner
Yes 26 49.06%
No 27 50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 16, 2011, 12:27 PM
Joined Oct 2010
24 Posts
New IOM

Hello, I just got my first IOM and theres a round hole where the batt. and receiver go and Velcro to the inside.. I was wondering if there was something i can make or buy that will drop in and have a cap or top so water doesn't get to the batt. and receiver ?? I've seen some IOM's with what looks like a plastic cap or something.. I have a pic but don't know how to post it on here.. Thanks...
Krowbar69 is offline Find More Posts by Krowbar69
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2011, 01:27 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
824 Posts
You will be needing a plastic pot and screw on lid but until we know where you are located we cannot recommend who can supply one.
ToniGe23 is offline Find More Posts by ToniGe23
Old Apr 16, 2011, 01:29 PM
Joined Feb 2010
32 Posts

Fleet racing you are "allowed" to luff up to head to wind as you are still considered to be on Starboard but you are not allowed to bear away to "hunt"

For match racing you are allowed to "hunt" the port boat known as a dial down. But you are allowed to only bear off to a beam reach... Downwind same here a dial up is allowed where a starboard boat can point up to a beam reach and no further.....

Hope this answers your question
colin470 is offline Find More Posts by colin470
Last edited by colin470; Apr 16, 2011 at 02:37 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 01:59 PM
I love being the underdog!!!
Bermuda
Joined Jan 2011
124 Posts
starboard boat hunt

[QUOTE=colin470;17985517]Fleet racing you are allowed to luff up to head to wind as you are still considered to be on Starboard but you are not allowed to bear away to "hunt"

For match racing you are allowed to "hunt" the port boat known as a dial down. But you are allowed to only bear off to a beam reach... Downwind same here a dial up is allowed where a starboard boat can point up to a beam reach and no further.....

Hope this answers your question[/QUOThank you Colin. Even though you and others can say for or against. The problem is where in the rules can I find it written to show my fleet to avoid further debate?
Romano Ramirez is offline Find More Posts by Romano Ramirez
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Looking for the "terminator"
Old Apr 16, 2011, 02:26 PM
Joined Feb 2010
32 Posts
Hi Romano...

Here goes...

16 CHANGING COURSE
16.1 When a right-of-way boat changes course, she shall give the other
boat room to keep clear.
16.2 In addition, when after the starting signal a port-tack boat is keeping
clear by sailing to pass astern of a starboard-tack boat, the starboard-
tack boat shall not change course if as a result the port-tack
boat would immediately need to change course to continue keeping
clear.

There is an agrument on whether a Starboard boat is allowed to luff to head to wind... but the boat who luffs is still sailing her "best" course to windward... Usually it will boil down to how the boat is positioned... For example if the starboard boat is clearly going to T bone or cross ahead of the port boat and the starboard boat luffs, The starboard boat can alway argue he/she is avoiding collision .... But it gets tricky if the starboard boat is clearly going to clear the stern of the port boat and the starboard boat luffs to cause contact, in this case the starboard boat is at fault, as he/she is altering course and failed to aviod collision....

I have seen a starboard boat getting a DSQ in the protest room as he failed to keep clear of the port boat.
Last edited by colin470; Apr 16, 2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 02:44 PM
Don't lie to my dog.
United States, DE, Wilmington
Joined Jun 2005
3,071 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romano Ramirez View Post
Thank you Colin. Even though you and others can say for or against. The problem is where in the rules can I find it written to show my fleet to avoid further debate?
[/COLOR]
Did you not see me quote rule 16.2 twice?
Gregg28 is offline Find More Posts by Gregg28
Old Apr 16, 2011, 02:49 PM
Joined Feb 2010
32 Posts

Hey Gregg... since we are on this topic... Opening another can of worms here lol... but like I say in my earlier post... If the port boat will clear the starboard boat, the starboard boat luffs... and hits the port boat...

The starboard boat will be at fault right? as the starboard boat did not hold his course and failed to aviod a collision...
Old Apr 16, 2011, 02:54 PM
Don't lie to my dog.
Joined Jun 2005
3,071 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by colin470 View Post
Hey Gregg... since we are on this topic... Opening another can of worms here lol... but like I say in my earlier post... If the port boat will clear the starboard boat, the starboard boat luffs... and hits the port boat...

The starboard boat will be at fault right? as the starboard boat did not hold his course and failed to aviod a collision...
The starboard boat has rights to luff as she pleases. Aside from the rule against collisions, the port boat has NO rights if she tries to cross in front.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 07:58 PM
Joined Oct 2010
24 Posts
Im in San Diego California, USA...
Krowbar69 is offline Find More Posts by Krowbar69
Old Apr 17, 2011, 03:11 AM
Silly Old Fart
New Zealand, Wellington, Masterton
Joined Mar 2006
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg28 View Post
The starboard boat has rights to luff as she pleases. Aside from the rule against collisions, the port boat has NO rights if she tries to cross in front.
Gregg, I would dispute your understanding of the rule.
If the port tack boat is going to cross clear ahead, then the starboard ROW boat must hold her course see 16.1
CaptainBit is offline Find More Posts by CaptainBit
Old Apr 17, 2011, 03:49 AM
Don't lie to my dog.
Joined Jun 2005
3,071 Posts
boat room to keep clear.

The rule does not say that the Starboard boat must hold her course. She can still luff up. She just can not do it suddenly, not allowing the port boat to get out of the way.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 04:41 AM
k4s
Joined Aug 2009
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg28 View Post
boat room to keep clear.

The rule does not say that the Starboard boat must hold her course. She can still luff up. She just can not do it suddenly, not allowing the port boat to get out of the way.
You often hear a call of "Hold your course" from the port tack boat in this close pass situation.
Does this call have any standing in the rules,or is it just a good bluff call being made?
k4s is offline Find More Posts by k4s
Old Apr 17, 2011, 05:44 AM
Don't lie to my dog.
Joined Jun 2005
3,071 Posts
It is a little fuzzy. Starboard can luff up to shut port out, but not so quickly as to prevent port from keeping clear.

http://game.finckh.net/situat/tit_gbr/l25_e.htm

In the above link notice they are specific about giving the port tack boat opportunity to keep clear.

As the boats converged, Red - on port tack - was keeping clear, and there was no need for Blue (starboard) to change course. Blue (starboard) changed course onto a collision course with Red at a time when Red was not able to keep clear. Therefore Blue infringed rule 16.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 05:57 AM
Don't lie to my dog.
Joined Jun 2005
3,071 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k4s View Post
You often hear a call of "Hold your course" from the port tack boat in this close pass situation.
Does this call have any standing in the rules,or is it just a good bluff call being made?
If port is crossing below starboard, starboard is required to hold her course. So in that case it is a valid hail. But not if port is crossing in front of starboard.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 12:39 PM
Joined Feb 2010
32 Posts

But if this happens on the water, whereby the starboard boat luffs up into the wind to prevent the port boat from crossing... it will be the starboard boats disadvantage as he/she will probably lose too much speed... All the port boat needs to do is tack on to starboard and create a leebow position AND acquire rights as he will be the leeward boat....