Toni, my email is colin470@yahoo.com
colin470 is offline Find More Posts by colin470
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2011, 02:50 PM
k4s
Joined Aug 2009
391 Posts
Search for Olympian's microlight narrows
SARAH HARVEY AND PENNY WARDLE Last updated 17:58 10/04/2011SharePrint Text Size Relevant offers Rescuers are focusing on an area near D'Urville Island, in the Marlborough Sounds, in the search for a microlight and its 86-year-old former Olympian pilot, missing since yesterday morning on a flight from Auckland to Ashburton.

The initial search was sparked when Auckland businessman Geoff Smale, 86, who represented New Zealand in yachting at the 1968 Mexico Olympic Games, left North Shore about 11am but failed to turn up in Ashburton by 3pm as planned.

Rescue Coordination Centre (RCC) spokesman Ross Henderson said Smale was an experienced and fit pilot and had made the more than 800-kilometre journey, expected to take up to four and half hours, a number of times.

The aircraft, a white microlight with red detailing, had a nine-hour flying range and was capable of 135 knots (250kph), so was able to complete the flight without refuelling stops.

The weather along the route yesterday was good overall, with a few cloudy patches, he said.

Six helicopters and a fixed wing aircraft have today been searching a large area between the North Shore and Ashburton, without sign of Smale, but have found a partial radar track which they believe may be Smale's.

RCC search and rescue officer Neville Blakemore said the radar track showed an aircraft leaving Auckland then disappearing from radar just South of Taharoa in the Waikato at about midday before resuming near Stratford in Taranaki before being lost again about 1pm near D’Urville Island in the Marlborough Sounds.

Additional data found this afternoon then shows the radar track moving south from Cape Soucis in Tasman Bay at 1.40pm down through Rai Valley, northeast of Nelson.

The new data had given searchers additional leads about Smale’s possible route, Blakemore said.

Blakemore said the search would continue until dark, but barring any new information about the missing craft, would likely be stood down overnight. Searchers would however reassess all the available information gathered in the last 24 hours overnight, with plans to resume the search tomorrow.

Microlight pilot Mike Gray, of the Marlborough Aero Club, said flying conditions over Smale's route were good, except in Marlborough where a ''cyclonic gloom'' brought cloud cover down to 250-400 metres.

''The higher you fly, the safer you are,'' Gray said. ''Once you get lower there are less options.''

If Smale had suffered a medical problem such as a heart attack, his plane could have continued unpiloted until it ran out of fuel or hit a mountain, Gray said.
k4s is offline Find More Posts by k4s
Old Apr 10, 2011, 02:53 PM
k4s
Joined Aug 2009
391 Posts
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10718491
Old Apr 10, 2011, 11:01 PM
k4s
Joined Aug 2009
391 Posts
Very sad news..Geoff has been found dead amongst the wreckage of his plane.
R.I.P Geoff.
It was a privilege to know you.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 11:07 PM
Joined Feb 2010
32 Posts
RIP Geoff
colin470 is offline Find More Posts by colin470
Old Apr 10, 2011, 11:15 PM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,094 Posts
R.I.P Geoff
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old Apr 11, 2011, 07:05 AM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2004
103 Posts
Condolences go out to friends and family.

Has any report been filed to the cause of the crash? Mountails and Valleys are prone to wind sheer and this can sometimes force an aircraft down.

Sad to loose a fellow sailor and avaitor. May he Rest in Peace.
scully is offline Find More Posts by scully
Old Apr 12, 2011, 07:08 PM
k4s
Joined Aug 2009
391 Posts
Quality is a bit poor but found an interesting mark.
mark waves.wmv (1 min 40 sec)
Old Apr 12, 2011, 07:55 PM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,094 Posts
Cool video Richard, love the know down
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old Apr 15, 2011, 09:17 AM
I love being the underdog!!!
Bermuda
Joined Jan 2011
124 Posts
To Hunt

I saw in some sailing rules once about a starboard tack boat may hunt a port boat to windward but not to to leeward. I did look in the rules yesterday for it and could not find it. Am I dreaming? And it used the word "hunt" in the language.
Romano Ramirez is offline Find More Posts by Romano Ramirez
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Looking for the "terminator"
Old Apr 15, 2011, 09:29 AM
Joined Jan 2006
562 Posts
Moving to prevent another boat from clearing is not allowed from what I understand of the new rules. When meeting on opposite tacks.
You might be thinking of when you have a boat overtaking another. The overtaken boat can sail above their course to prevent a pass, but can not sail below proper course. You still have to allow time for the other boat to keep clear. I am sure someone will pull up the actual rules.
slotracer577 is offline Find More Posts by slotracer577
Old Apr 15, 2011, 11:17 AM
Don't lie to my dog.
United States, DE, Wilmington
Joined Jun 2005
3,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romano Ramirez View Post
I saw in some sailing rules once about a starboard tack boat may hunt a port boat to windward but not to to leeward. I did look in the rules yesterday for it and could not find it. Am I dreaming? And it used the word "hunt" in the language.
16.2 In addition, when after the starting signal a port-tack boat is keeping
clear by sailing to pass astern of a starboard-tack boat, the starboard-
tack boat shall not change course if as a result the port-tack
boat would immediately need to change course to continue keeping
clear.

Your memory is correct.
Gregg28 is offline Find More Posts by Gregg28
Old Apr 15, 2011, 12:02 PM
I love being the underdog!!!
Bermuda
Joined Jan 2011
124 Posts
Hunt

Thanks so far. I am talking about when boats meet on opposite tacks. Can a starboard tack boat point up higher to establish rights on a port boat? "HUNT" And if so, until what point? If not, why not?
I know I saw it somewhere. But perhaps in an older version of the rules.
Romano Ramirez is offline Find More Posts by Romano Ramirez
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Looking for the "terminator"
Old Apr 15, 2011, 01:21 PM
Don't lie to my dog.
United States, DE, Wilmington
Joined Jun 2005
3,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romano Ramirez View Post
Thanks so far. I am talking about when boats meet on opposite tacks. Can a starboard tack boat point up higher to establish rights on a port boat? "HUNT" And if so, until what point? If not, why not?
I know I saw it somewhere. But perhaps in an older version of the rules.
Yes, a starboard tack boat can point up as far as he wants to keep a port tack boat from crossing. If the port tack boat is going below the starboard tack boat, the starboard tack boat must hold his course if changing it would interfere with the port tack boat.

>>16.2 In addition, when after the starting signal a port-tack boat is keeping
clear by sailing to pass astern of a starboard-tack boat, the starboard-
tack boat shall not change course if as a result the port-tack
boat would immediately need to change course to continue keeping
clear.<<
Gregg28 is offline Find More Posts by Gregg28
Old Apr 15, 2011, 08:55 PM
Silly Old Fart
New Zealand, Wellington, Masterton
Joined Mar 2006
219 Posts
Romano, you should check the special rules that apply to "Match Racing" that is where "hunting " was allowed. I have not kept up with the latest to see if it is still the same. Perhaps you can tell us on another thread set up to discuss the rules.?
CaptainBit is offline Find More Posts by CaptainBit